• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upland pants/chaps...thoughts please

herm

It's time to get new pants/chaps for hunting. I now have a pair of hunting pants made by the store that sold them. (Not the C...instead rhymes with peels.) Anyway, they lasted about 3.5 seasons and don't like them enough to buy another pair. Good friend/hunting adviser recommends Filson Single Tin chaps. He loves his and says they will last forever. Do others have thoughts on these or other options? Fit? Breathability? Etc. I'm willing to pay for quality and function; fashion not so much. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have the waterproof "peels" brand and really like them. Keep me dry and are comfortable. I also wear them while fishing or hiking if the weather looks inclement. I know they won't last forever but they're more versatile than just plain old leather chaps IMO. And they're pretty stylish.

Have Columbia pants, the green not tan ones, and they are pretty nice. They are more water proof/resistant than other I have - brown cheapies. My brother does as well, and we used them more for duck hunting from row boats - i.e. picking dekes but not wearing waders, so the water proof front is important for that.

We also use them for grouse hunting, but not so much anymore. The only problem I have noticed is the zipper on the rear pocket broke on mine. They are pretty comfy, but pretty stiff till you you get them worn in.

I also have a pair of Columbia blue jean with tan front upland pants and they are the most comfy of all, and fit great, but you don't have the water proof aspect. But I loved them!

Have buddies with the Filson chaps and they won't wear anything else, but they are more hardcore pheasant guys than me. Nice thing is they can take them off real quick and then just in jeans - but sweaty jeans so who cares wink hehe.

There is my book on Columbia pants, two thumbs up from me!

I have a pair of Filson Tin pants and loved them. Only problem was that over the years they shrunk and I can't get into them any more.

I have a pair of Filson Tin pants and loved them. Only problem was that over the years they shrunk and I can't get into them any more.

I find that happens with my stuff too... I blame the dryer...

Nice thing about chaps is no need to wash them on long hunts. Usually a good shake cleans them off good enough. Plus easy to put on and take off, wear them on wet mornings and take them off when it dries up. Plus if you get real wet say step in beaver run in a cattail swamp and are smart enough to pack clean pants, a real hard shake will dry them enough to put back on, I have done this a couple times.

• 2 weeks later...

Filson chaps are good, I have both single and double tin pants. The double tins are too much for walking, stiff in cold weather, and heavy, great logging or ice fishing pants. Filson tincloth is great material in pants or jackets, but in cold weather the wax really makes them stiff. Downside of chaps for me is they are too short, I hunt exclusively in late season and once the sloughs are froze hard and snow is drifted I hunt 4-5 days a week. Too much snow between the chaps and pants resulting in wet pants as soon as you get into a truck. I like the goretex pants or single tin Filsons. Filsons last long, can't be washed, don't breathe well and are spendy. Goretex are not as tough, can be washed, cost less and I can still get 3-5 seasons out of them if I'm careful going over fences.

I love Cabelas Goretex Pant and a pair of cabelas silk long underwear. Perfect in all conditions loose fitting, light weight and pretty durable. I have Filson too and they are fine but not nearly as water proof as the Cabelas pants. Also the Filson is much heavier.

I'm a fan of pants over chaps but I think it comes down to preference. I currently rock the LL Bean goretex upland pants and haven't been happier compared to the Cabela's version I wore for many years prior. They might be a little a little overkill for the early season, but once it cools off they really seem to shine. Once the snow flies I just throw on a pair of longjohns or underarmour type leggings underneath and bust cattails all day while staying completely dry and comfortable.

Light cordura chaps from Cabelas over pants. Light cotton pants for early grouse. Light wool, (old dress pants) when it is cooler, polypro longjohns when even colder, and medium weight wool with longjohns late season cold, cold weather. Wool is great! Warm when wet, very comfortable to walk in. Chaps are thick enough to turn briars, but flexible enough to not restrict leg movement.Also neither will turn into stovepipes when it is super cold.