• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years draft?

Hester

Here's the deal: you have a much better chance in finding a good MLB in this draft. You may struggle to find an answer to our QB dilemma.

You're right, the Vikings should just give up trying. QB isn't that important anyway in the NFL. wink

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrJuice1980

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

• Big Dave2

My point exactly! Boy your depth of understanding is shallow. Never once have I stated that the QB isn't an issue. There are many issues and yes the QB is one of them. Tell me something Big Dave, is it easier to find a good QB or MLB? And who is this answer to QB you know of?

I bet they're wishing they had a better MLB today...

Nice, you sure know how to shed insight. Once again a one liner by an individual who has no neck (amongst other things). Give an opinion for once, stick em out there if you got em. Otherwise just stick to the image posting, at least you know how to do that.

LMT you haven't given an opinion. We're waiting....

You already asked the question and I've already answered it.

Reading is fundamental.

Oh you have? So who is this mysterious franchise QB that you see? Humor all of us and repeat yourself oh wise one.

Big Dave there are very few positions in which the Vikings currently have an "answer" for one being place kicker aside from that all bets are off.

We have one good safety when healthy, an rb that is top tier but otherwise holes everywhere. Focus on defense first and get a qb in second round. Use the top 3 pick to drop down and amass picks for later rounds. These picks should help supplement many of the needs whether as depth players or starters.

If you asked LMT that question he would reply with one line and a picture of a donkey.

Big Dave there are very few positions in which the Vikings currently have an "answer" for one being place kicker aside from that all bets are off.

We have one good safety when healthy, an rb that is top tier but otherwise holes everywhere. Focus on defense first and get a qb in second round. Use the top 3 pick to drop down and amass picks for later rounds. These picks should help supplement many of the needs whether as depth players or starters.

I wouldn't argue any of what you just stated. What I am arguing is the ridiculous notion that keeps floating around here that just because Trent Dilfer won a superbowl the Quarterback position is not the most important position on an NFL team 95% of the time.

I don't know which is easier to find but I know which one you need to win a championship.

If I knew the answer to this I would be making a whole lot more money than I do now.

Let me ask you a question. Who is the answer at QB that is already on the team?

1. There are teams that have won championships without a stud QB. In fact just last season. Flacco is nothing more than decent. His pay doesn't coincide with that but I guess that's what happens when you win a Super Bowl in your contact year. What did they have? That's right Ray Lewis.

2. We got 2 of the same types of QBs in Ponder and Cassel. I would've liked to see Freeman in today, we know what Cassel brings but our viewing window of Freeman is pretty small. Do I think Freeman is the answer, no but I'd like to see more, he does have an arm.

3. There is no solution to our QB woes in this draft.

4. It's way smarter to fill the MLB spot with a 1st round pick then make a huge stretch on a QB. You shouldn't draft a position with your first pick, you draft a player. Being we need a MLB and a CB just as bad as a QB if not more there will be a player for us. Or we trade down because the position we need will have players we can fill them with later on down the board. The way most of you are talking our chances of getting an Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and countless others are pretty high. You know what they all have in common? They were drafted because of their position. You really want to waste that pick?

What I am arguing is the ridiculous notion that keeps floating around here that just because Trent Dilfer won a superbowl the Quarterback position is not the most important position on an NFL team 95% of the time.

There's more than Dilfer. Brad Johnson ring a bell? He was terrible. Eli had won twice, again not a good QB. Want to go way back? Bradshaw won it a couple of times. This isn't just a Trent Dilfer deal bud. Plus you brought championship into this convo. All I was saying before was about a good team, MLB is the QB of the defense, btw, and are much easier to come by than what you guys have hopes for coming here under center.

QB may be the single most important position on the team BUT if there isn't one to warrant a top 5 pick in the draft its a waste.

IMO Rodgers is the reason the packers won't win the Superbowl this year. He's hurt and the team is in shambles. I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat but all that money invested in him and look what happens when he's out. Same can be said for Allen. A lot of dam money tied up in one player. Yeah you want some studs but I would settle for multiple mediocre players over one stud and other squids.

Jeez I leave for a couple weeks and you guys fill the forum up with stupid. Nice work.

Yep, we are good to go at QB.

Who is your cant miss "stud" MLB there juice??

I got to watch a little college ball yesterday and I was impressed with Murray from Georgia once again. Comparing QB to MLB is like comparing a Queen to a pawn in a game of chess.

And since you think Ray Lewis was so instrumental in winning it all I went back and looked at some of the other recent champs. GB, NYG, NO didnt really have a stud at MLB, but I know something they did have.

And I believe Flacco threw 12tds and 0 ints in the playoffs last year.

Once again the guy that touches the ball on every play is the most important. Not some guy that MIGHT make the play or MIGHT make the tackle.

4. It's way smarter to fill the MLB spot with a 1st round pick then make a huge stretch on a QB. You shouldn't draft a position with your first pick, you draft a player. Being we need a MLB and a CB just as bad as a QB if not more there will be a player for us. Or we trade down because the position we need will have players we can fill them with later on down the board. The way most of you are talking our chances of getting an Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and countless others are pretty high. You know what they all have in common? They were drafted because of their position. You really want to waste that pick?

It may be too early to put too much stock in draft boards already but.........if the Vikings are supposed to draft "players" instead of "need" then guess what kind of "players" are in the top 5 picks? Yes, 2 QBs in the top 5. You want a MLB? You'll have to drop down and pick C.J. Mosley from Alabama who is projected to go somewhere around 11th or 12th. I'm pretty sure the Vikings will have a higher pick than that plus Mosley is kind of a small guy to play MLB in the NFL. Not sure if he would be your franchise MLB or not.

Since you said yourself that MLB are easier to find, why not draft one in the second round or later? QBs are harder to find so I would rather take a chance on a higher projected draft pick than a lower one. Plus, they have pleny of hard to find QBs they can trade for a MLB!

Can't miss stud? Mosely from Bama. Come on Big Dave, tell me you wouldn't love him in purple.

I thought you said not to draft for "position"?

Yep...Johnny Football is climbing the boards fast. Even with all his "off-field" shinanigans, he's the type of talent you just can't ignore. Even Kiper and McShay can't dispute the kids ability to be a special player.

He's doing it all against SEC competition and he's laughing while he's doing it. Love him or hate him...the dude can play the game.

Manziel is NOT a criminal...he just needs to grow up a little.

I watched Wilson torch us today and wondered how nice it would be to counter with our own version of him. Wilson VS Manziel sounds much better than Wilson VS Ponder.

MLB you say.....

When was that mock draft from April? No way possible are those 2 top 5 picks. I don't see them being 1st rounders even.

When was that mock draft from April? No way possible are those 2 top 5 picks. I don't see them being 1st rounders even.

You underestimate the importance of the QB position. There will be two taken in the top 5 and maybe even three. 4 in the top ten for sure.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

A great QB covers up a lot of a teams deficiencies...even on defense.

Just look at GB...Rodgers even covers up their coaching deficiencies laugh

I'd say getting or having a top QB is any teams top priority.

Great MLBs are had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds all the time.

We may very well already have next years stud MLB in Mauti or Hodges. Only time will tell what's up there.

Who are the top 5 picks then?

You guys are either insane or get your football "insight" from somebody who is insane. There is no way possible that there will be 2-3 QBs in the top 5. There will not be more than 2 in the 1st round. Buck: your Andy Murray assessment, nuts man, he is a younger Ponder nothing more, nice evaluation though. Carr will go before any of the above mentioned, except maybe Manziel, which the Texans will probably bite on because Case Keenum sucks very bad.

Rick- where is this top/great QB going to come from to hide the deficiencies? My argument is that it wont come in the draft so why waste a top pick on a QB when we can fill other obvious holes such as MLB/CB. And your idea of great MLBs coming in the 2-3rd rds all the time? Are you kidding me? Please, all the time? No. There is a greater likelihood of getting a difference maker at MLB than QB but to suggest that great players grow on trees? Crazy. Look at whats out there now and you will see almost all very good MLBs are taken day 1 of the draft. Mauti is garbage, if he is playing behind Henderson thhe has little to nothing to offer. Hodges is an outside guy. We need a smart, athletic inside guy who can MAKE A TACKLE, MAKE A READ, RUN A LANE, BE A FREAKING FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!