• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years draft?

Hester

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrJuice1980

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

• Big Dave2

QB. Hands down. Have to wait and see who shakes out. I am guessing there are going to be a couple gone before we pick. Lets just hope we blow enough to pick # two. Don't have much faith in Spielman evaluating QB talent.

QB. Don't have much faith in Spielman evaluating QB talent.

You can say that again.... and again. And yet again

This is a qb rich draft. Vikes could get a stud qb in the second round in this draft. It will be interesting to see where they pick.

I wouldn't mind taking the best MLB in the draft with the first pick either if there is gonna be good qb's available later. This is supposedly a qb heavy draft, but that doesn't mean there is an andrew luck we must automatically select with our first pick.

Maybe Spielman should ask Ted Thompson who to pick

I also think with Allens cap money off the books they should target a VETERAN CB in FA that is solid and won't break the bank to help mentor Rhodes and Robinson. I could care less about Cris Cook. He shouldn't even be on the team next year. CLEARLY, this team misses Winfield.

No Clowney for me. Its all about a QB. I am not a fan of the RG3, Michael Vick, Donavan McNothing, scramble types. I am a huge fan of the Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck /Steve Young type that moves the pocket and runs as an absolute last resort. I don't think you will find a true stud pocket passer Like Brady Manning or Brees in this draft. Either way I hope we have a new coaching staff to help our new QB. I just hope Josh Freeman doesn't hit the field again, be half decent and get us 3-4 wins, and then we spend the next 2-3 years figuring out he sucks and meanwhile we fall in the draft.

There are a lot of teams that are set on their QB and I would disagree with that idea that this is a "QB rich draft" only because nobody wows me. It seems a lot like the Ponder draft talent wise at the QB spot. We are kind of in a situation where we need Freeman to shine, I just have doubts about that. I definitely don't want to see Johnny football in purple though, not with a high 1st rd pick anyways. We need a few great o-lineman and I think there's a few of them in the draft. Those late rounder o-lineman don't seem to pan out well, especially here.

We should be taking a qb early in every draft until we find one. You don't win in this league without a qb, it's simple.

Those late rounder o-lineman don't seem to pan out well, especially here.

Go tell that to JA who had his @$$ handed to him by a no-name 4th round pick on Sunday night.

We should be taking a qb early in every draft until we find one. You don't win in this league without a qb, it's simple.

Exactly. The long list of trying to pick up everyone else's scraps has left us with ZERO Lombardi trophies.

Freeman is who we thought he was. He is not a good quarterback, good quarterbacks don't go 5 games without completing at least 50% of their passes at least once. I don't get why it's so hard for the Vikes to realize you need to draft a good quarterback. There aren't anymore Favre's out there.

I am thinking either Teddy Bridgewater or Marcus Mariota depending on our draft position. Christian Ponder was a reach pick and he never was supposed to go in the first round--he's going to be a career backup qb.

Plain and simple--we need a franchise QB!

id personally rather get one of the many SEC QB's. Seems to me like they would have a better chance to be pro ready facing the competition they do. Bridgewater lights it up every week but louisville doesn't play anyone. And it seems like Louisville has a good QB system that works for them but doesn't always translate to the NFL, same with oregon. I know Buck wants us to draft the next Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, but that just doesn't happen that often. If we can get one with a strong accurate arm who doesn't FREAK out in the pocket like ponder i will be happy...

If we go QB I'm going to feel pretty bad for him. He is going to have no chance. Who is going to block for him? One things for sure, he's going to have to have the quickest release ever.

You will be amazed how much better the line will look with a better QB, some better coaching/schemes and average play calling. Would be nice to get a RB that could do something out of the backfield too and pick up a blitz.

The coaching/schemes/play calling would do much more to improve play than any QB would. This team isn't playing for anybody, a rookie isn't going to warrant better play from them and there isn't a veteran out there that we could get here that would either. We're in a pretty bad situation. There needs to be some wholesale changes, starting with the top. Frazier and pretty much the whole crew needs to go now. Pull the trigger Zygi, 1-6 enough said.

If we go QB I'm going to feel pretty bad for him. He is going to have no chance. Who is going to block for him? One things for sure, he's going to have to have the quickest release ever.

That's the excuse we were fed a few years ago and nothing has changed. I wasn't buying that load of fertilizer then, either.

Draft a QB and stop with the excuses. It's almost like this team is afraid to draft one.

I agree, we need a QB first. At this point, nothing else matters. Until we get a QB that is at least capable of becoming a quality starter in the NFL, we dont stand a chance. I think we have some talent on the line. Our offense is just lacking a decent QB, and maybe a center that has a little size to actually block someone.

Before selling out and drafting a QB with our first pick, I would want to know what the free agent market looks like at QB.

Not sure I am sold on Clowney. Havent seen him play much, but there sure is a ton of hype around him.

There should be several QBs to draft this year that go well into the 2nd round. I am not completely sure that any of the predicted top draft pics at that position are game changers like Andrew Luck, so I would be more apt to spend a high first rounder on something else like D line or secondary/LB.

Quote:
Our offense is just lacking a decent QB, and maybe a center that has a little size to actually block someone.

and an OC... and an O-line coach... and a head coach...

but other than all the coaches, a QB, a center and a RT who isn't McKinnie-ish You're right there! laugh

Good Luck!

Ken

Before selling out and drafting a QB with our first pick, I would want to know what the free agent market looks like at QB.

Let me help you... the top 3 that I can think of (top is a term I use VERY loosely)

Cutler - yuck

Vick - gag

Freeman - you already have him (ish?)

Not sure if there are any other starters out there. I wouldn't take a flyer on a back-up QB from another team. He's probably a back-up for a reason... The Vikings continually look for that 'fix' at QB... With the exception of Culpepper, They have for a couple of decades found a used up starter and plugged him in for a year or two. Time to actually draft a real starter and use him for 10 years. Not reach in the draft, not take a sleeper from Podunck Univerisity, not taking a primarily rushing QB... but a real bonifide QB

There record of drafting a QB has been dismal... all I can say is:

Good Luck!

Ken

If they only draft a QB and don't work on the line I feel bad for him....real bad. Think of David Carr, he was pummeled in his years at Houston. Pretty much made him gunshy and a horrible qb, even as just a backup.

Only option for the 1st pick is QB. I know the defense is horrible and is the bigger reason we are losing games right now but everything starts at QB. You can't win consistently without a QB and its harder to lure free agents to a team without a QB.

There may be decent QB's around in the 2nd round but do you really want to wait around and hope one of them is still on the board? Do you really want to play that sort of game with the most important position on the team when its such a huge need?

I have no desire to sign a free agent QB. If a team is willing to let a QB walk there is usually a good reaon for it. Franchise QB's rarely hit free agency and jump to a new team. If they do its because there was some sort of major injury concern (Brees, Manning). You are much more likely to find a stud defensive player in free agency so that is what I'd look for.

There may be decent QB's around in the 2nd round but do you really want to wait around and hope one of them is still on the board? Do you really want to play that sort of game with the most important position on the team when its such a huge need?

It all depends on where we wind up in the draft and who's available when we pick. The logic above is what brought us Ponder. I don't think we really wanted to take him, but we didn't want to wait and see who was left in the 2nd round.

Let's just hope the Vikings don't do something stupid and win 4 or 5 more games this year.

That's the excuse we were fed a few years ago and nothing has changed.

We? I always knew Lmitout was a closet Vikings fan.

Quote:

It all depends on where we wind up in the draft and who's available when we pick. The logic above is what brought us Ponder. I don't think we really wanted to take him, but we didn't want to wait and see who was left in the 2nd round.

Let's just hope the Vikings don't do something stupid and win 4 or 5 more games this year.

That is true. All of this is just speculation. Without knowing where we pick or who is even declaring for the draft its impossible to say what the best course of action is. I'm speaking just about needs. QB is our biggest need and should be the biggest priority. After that defense all the way.

Labs, I know we need all new coaches, but you cant draft them. As for tackles, they may not be perfect, but I think after addressing Center, and QB, I think the Vikes need to address the defense at that point. I think offensive our front line is capable of average blocking, if they had coaches to teach them, and a QB, that knows how to play. We could use an entire new team, but we can only address so many things in one year.

Top priority is QB, after that, I would draft depending on the strength of the needed postion that is still available, and how deep the needed positions are in the draft.

Offense main priorities, other then coaches, QB, center.

Defense, DE, LB, CB, then work on guards.

Time to actually draft a real starter and use him for 10 years. Not reach in the draft, not take a sleeper from Podunck Univerisity, not taking a primarily rushing QB... but a real bonifide QB

There record of drafting a QB has been dismal... all I can say is:

Good Luck!

Ken

Agree the goal would be to draft a franchise guy, but I am not convinced this guy exists in the current draft. There seems to be a lot of overall talent, but I dont see anyone close to Andrew Luck type caliber. If we are picking in the top 5 (which is HIGHLY likely), I am not sure that pick is best used on one of those guys. Possibly trade down, accumulate more picks and draft one in the late first round. IDK, but there isnt a single one of these QB's that I think can be plugged in day 1 and be counted on for 10 years.

Those guys are few and very far between and they dont always come from a first round pick either.

Not sure I am sold on Clowney. Havent seen him play much, but there sure is a ton of hype around him.

There should be several QBs to draft this year that go well into the 2nd round. I am not completely sure that any of the predicted top draft pics at that position are game changers like Andrew Luck, so I would be more apt to spend a high first rounder on something else like D line or secondary/LB.

AGREE!

I dont wanna be FORCED to take a QB no matter what in the first round. If the RIGHT one is there then do it. I would much rather draft one then go FA, but like Captain said there are going to be legitimate QB's available after the first round in this years draft. We FORCED a qb in the first rd with Christian Blunder and look how it turned out. Caepernick and Russel Wilson were both SECOND rd picks if i remember right. You don't HAVE to take a QB in the first rd if there is a better option available in that spot for the defense, hopefully the best MLB imo. We need to take a QB but it has to be the right QB, DONT FORCE IT!!!!!!!!!!

There are a lot of mid level QBs, nobody is really an eye opener. I think we would be able to snag one later in the 1st, maybe trade around to end up with 2 1st rounders? I just think you guys are wanting to make a stretch on a QB that may not pan out. I think trading down would be our best bet on building and taking an Andy Murray like guy in the 2nd round. We desperately need a CB, MLB, and OG as well as a QB. But beyond any player we need a coaching staff more than anything.

The 2 names i like best right now are AJ McCarren from Alabama and i hate to say it, but Jonny Football. I hate the his attitude but he can flat out play. Sure ill probably get bashed for it but id take Jonny Football over Teddy Bridge any day.

McCarren you could get later in the first, early second maybe??? He's got a strong arm and throws a $$$ deep ball and is more the pocket passer. I think despite his "issues" Jonny football is going to go in the top 10.