• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut Activity?

springermnguy26

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archerystud

• 96trigger

• FISHINGURU

• sticknstring

Thanks Scoot.

With the rain, snow and cold forecasted for tomorrow, I am leaving much sooner this afternoon. Was planning on 4 but now about 2-2:30 so we can be there a bit sooner if they do decide to feed earlier.

Looking at the forecast, this evening looks to be the last sit for this hunt as the weekend does not look pretty if the weatherman is correct.

Clint is taking her out tomorrow in the am if needed. Hoping they can sleep in tomorrow after our hunt this aft.

Hunted in the metro last night had seen 10 deer had a 7 pointer hang around my stand for about 20 min he was only 7to 10yards away from came right in on a few soft grunts

Not much happening up north (west of duluth). I havent been out the past few days so im hoping when I go out tomorrow I will see some more sign. Alot of does moving around me. Set up around a few different doe bedding areas now. I set cameras up over some mock scrapes so hopefully I will have a good update for you guys.

Is this sign you all are seeing as you're going back and forth to your stand? I always thought it was best to walk minimally in my hunting area so as not to disturb the deer that are or will be there. I haven't seen any sign yet, but I haven't walked any of the trails I do in the summer because I'm hoping not to scare the deer away. Last year I did end up seeing some scrapes and rubs from my stand, but that was the first time that ever happened.

I do the majority of my scouting in the middle of the day when the deer should be in thier bedding areas. With that said, I did have scrapes re-opened during the day on Thurs of this week.

I wear good scent free hunting boots and when I do my scouting, I try to not touch any branches or anything in the woods and I try to stay away from thier bedding areas.

In woods I know, I do not go on the trails when it is close to the rut but If I am going to change woods or locations late in the season, close to the rut. I try to scout quickly and do it mid day. Yes, one could bump a roaming buck but that is the chance you take to get yourself set up in the correct area. One can bump a deer at any time in the woods so I simply do it the best I can and then hope for the best.

Getting a topo maop for the area you are going to scout will also help some in regards to knowing where to scout and where to stay away from.

I also try to scout using the wind to my advantage so my scent does not blow the direction of thier bedding area.

This guys getting swelled up fast! A 5 1/2 yr old brute moving through at 4:30 in the morning....

full-14474-38096-junkman10_14_13b.jpg

full-14474-38097-junkman10_14_13.jpg

Im getting antsy!

Deer are moving more in Roseville. Two in the baseball field, and followed a 4pt down the road in my neighborhood.

Had a buck running does around me this morning. The does came by me at 20 but he turned away at 60. Didn't look like a shooter but I would have liked to have been POSITIVE.

I had a couple of small bucks chasing does around me as well this morning. Sniffing, grunting, etc. Still not seeing any scrapes or rubs but I'm not looking that hard so as not to stir things up either.

3 of us bowhunted Fri-today.

Zero sign of any rut activity. No rubs, no scrapes, no visual chasing. Just a few baldies minding their own business viewed from stands.

Hunted Nisswa area for the past 3 days- not much moving during the day. Deer we did see were bedded down. Located a small area that had 5-6 fresh scrapes which excited me- hunted one evening close to a particular scrape with no action. Perfect morning hunt today until the snow made it too wet to sit w/o rain gear.

Saw two shooter bucks tonight, who were scraping. Walking into the stand, there was 4 fresh scrapes that were made between Friday afternoon and tonight.

Hunted Sat night and Sun morning in SE MN. Saw a buck per sit. Small lil guys. A fork on Sat evening and a very deceiving 8pt (6pt with additional crab claw point) on Sun morning. Both were checking scrapes within 20 yds. During the evening hunt, the lil fork came checking scrapes around 4 in the afternoon. The miniature 8pt buck in the morning came through at 8. The big boys should start wandering around at those times soon.

Hunted central and SW MN over the weekend with very little deer sign..... only say 3 does a long ways off

Hunted the evening of the 19th in Kandiyohi county. I saw a nice buck chasing a doe. Should be interesting the next few weeks.

Hunted yesterday in the morning. Saw 4 does and 2 fawns during the early part of the snow. They were just walking through the woods. No scrapes yet. This is in the Cambridge area.

Last Wednesday when I harvested my doe, there was a 2.5 year old buck in the area and he seemed uninterested in the does that were around me.

We did in another area last week, seen a 1.5 year old checking out a few scrapes, so I am not really sure what he was doing?

Young and messed up hormones maybe? We were there I guess. grin

Sat last night. No scrapes/rubs yet in this area that usually does and will have them. Going to be a little while yet in my area.

all this scrape activity makes me want to hit the stand! Headed to NoDak this week for ducks so next week I will hopefully hit it hard! Good Luck guys!

Did a 4 day hunting marathon this past weekend with some success. Filled my bonus tag friday morning with a doe, and then saw 7 different bucks rest of time. Saw numerous scrapes and watched an 8 pter make one near my stand, so atleast their thinking about it. I did lay a little estrus out, but the 2 small bucks that came to it sniffed it and then darted off. Got to watch an 8 and a 10 spare in my field last nite while on stand. Fun to watch. Happy hunting.