• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut Activity?

springermnguy26

Haven't seen a deer during daylight in the Lake Nebagamon area. Did have a nice swamp buck walk by the camera at midnight, a non-typ 11. Before this it was just does on the camera, so they're coming out.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archerystud

• 96trigger

• FISHINGURU

• sticknstring

3 different bucks in 45 mins yesterday morning. Took an 8. Not a monster but I'm pleased and so is the misses. She has her husband back full-27112-38889-dscn0003(2)_copy.jpg

full-27112-38890-dscn0001(2)_copy.jpg

Five occurrences of bucks cruising this morning. But, I believe twice it was the same buck, so a total of 3 seen. I think it was 2 small eight pointers and a six pointer. All looked about 2-2.5 years old. Rattled the first one in.

Nothing in the evening.

I saw lots of little bucks roaming. I saw way too many does still with their fawns. Seems very sporadic. Have not heard of a lot of success. Friday I did have a nice buck chase a doe but the doe saw me and froze 50 yards away. He was hot after her. She eventually took off with him right behind her. Tried grunting him in but he only had one thing on his mind. Been a very strange fall, not seeing the rut intensity of the past. Grunt tube and rattling are not working at all, small bucks seem to respond and are also coming into estrous wicks, but that is all.

I had one 2.5 year old follow my scent drag last week. Agreed that a lot of does seem together. I only saw five does while gun hunting, none of them had a buck trailing them.

I had a decent buck chasing/tending a large doe Sunday morning. She came busting through the woods with "that look" on her face and he was about 50 yards behind her, cutting her off and pushing her in the direction he wanted. I've recently had two nice bucks show up on camera on a pinch point that is between two food plots and is a traditional scrape area. First at 1:30 a.m. and Sunday a.m. at 3:30 am. I'm hoping by Tuesday morning it will be 7:30 am :-)

Noticed the doe w/ fawn thing over the weekend too. Had a really fun day Fri in the woods with 5 bucks seen, but slowed down Sat with the wind. I'm starting to believe more in Alsheimer's rutting moon philosophy more every year. The predictions of a late "trickle" rut have been spot on from what I've been seeing.

Never really paid attention to that but you guys just mentioned it so I thought what the heck I'll read up on it a little. I've noticed the same thing as his data, finally seeing little bucks out chasing and seeking this past weekend. Last years "rutting moon" was Oct. 29, the morning of Oct. 30 last year I seen one of the biggest bucks of my life. Coincidence? Maybe, but everything seems to be matching up from what I have seen..

Saw a fork last night right at sunset. I couldn't get him to stop! (I'm shooting any buck right now as I'm expecting within the next month-the wife wants me back!)

I drew back and bahed and barked and yelled to get him to stop to no avail. He just kept his nose to the ground and was on a solid "fast walk."

Starting to see SOME daytime activity on the camera, mostly blurry rear ends and spike bucks, so there chasin' for sure. there are also bucks I haven't seen before. Lake Nebagamon,WI area.

Went out to an area in Oak Grove today Did not see anything, Talked with a guy who hunted around that property on opener and said that him and his little group saw a lot of forks and spikes running around and no does.

I had a 8 chase a doe through the shop parking lot at 8am today. This is on hwy 280 and Larpenter not a spot that deer are normally at.

Dead one on the highway. Couple of family members have seen morning movement. Last night driving, I saw a 140+ ten pointer crossing a parking lot like he was on a mission!

Saw a couple of does being chased by a big bodied deer at dusk in a parking lot at the cross streets of Rice St. and Owasso Blvd in Little Canada while delivering the front quarter of a doe to my mom.

sounds like parking lots are the best areas right now! Take your wife/girlfriend out on a date and talk her into "parking." As you're making your moves you see a deer out of the corner of your eye and you roll the window down and shoot it. That should go over well with the wife.

Sorry didn't mean to derail the post, keep it on track now.

sounds like parking lots are the best areas right now! Take your wife/girlfriend out on a date and talk her into "parking." As you're making your moves you see a deer out of the corner of your eye and you roll the window down and shoot it. That should go over well with the wife.

Sorry didn't mean to derail the post, keep it on track now.

Yea my SUV would make a good ground blind right about now since I've got them patterned.

sounds like parking lots are the best areas right now!

LOL, I was gonna say the same thing.

They are finally doin what we have wanted them to do for the past 3 weeks though.

I snuck out to my closest stand last night around 4:00 I had an 8 pointer come into 10' from the base of my tree about 5 minutes after I let out some doe bleats with the can call. He stood there for a few minutes looking around, and then eventually circled downwind and walked off after he couldn't find the doe. I also heard some fighting on the other side of a tree line that I was in, but never got see them. I caught a glimpse of a nice buck at about 300 yds., but he disappeared before I could get the binos on him. It was a fun evening in the deer woods.

Does must really be in heat. Saw an 8 point cruising across an open field with a doe on HiS tail. Thought it was funny and really did look like she was chasing him.

Does must really be in heat. Saw an 8 point cruising across an open field with a doe on HiS tail. Thought it was funny and really did look like she was chasing him.

I tell my wife that's what high school was like for me. grin

I've seen way more scrapes showing up. I haven't seen anything more that little saplings tore up though. I know there are mature bucks around but this is the first year I haven't seen a bunch of rubs.

Duluth/Hermantown area. I was at work and at 11:10 a.m. I saw the biggest buck on hoof of my entire life. He was alone in the middle of a field that had a road on one side and heavy cover on another. Jogging along and scenting for does. He was a very old buck with heavy white facial hair. Crazy wide 10 point rack. He stopped at one point just 60 yards away. I grunted at him and he gave me a look then went in the direction of the brush. Had to be a "hottie" somewhere in there. Gorgeous animal. Living in the city area he appeared to be a 5 1/2 year old. I gotta get in the woods soon! BC

Craziest rut I've seen since 1988. 9 different bucks, 7 does, and a fawn last weekend, now for a buck with some size on him, would've took a 10 pointer but couldn't get him stopped in a lane he was really after a doe hard. 5 of those does were being pursued, 1 had 3 bucks after her the poor thing, found later scrapes rubs etc. literally hundreds of rubs and my trailcam Nov. 7th there were daylight bucks cruising like crazy all day long. 8 different bucks came to the 1 scrape I put the cam on, I never years back thought that happens, that is what a t-cam has taught me the most. Community scrapes occur in places.

Tuesday at 8:46 am I had the 10 pointer I've been chasing around all season walk by my empty stand. He had his nose to the ground smelling for does. My heart sank when I looked at that trail camera picture. Thats only the second time I've seen him in the daylight all season. I could've been out there tuesday, too.

I had a nice buck come in this morning around 9:45. I caught movement off to my right, about 50 yards away, on the edge of a small food plot. I could see antlers moving up and down, likely working a scrape and licking branch that just opened up in that spot. Now's when the fun starts, I know he's going to come my way but will it be behind me or in front of me and I have a tree on that side of me that I have to get my bow around if it's behind me.

I guess behind me and that's what he does, but staying head on the whole way. At 5 yards he decides to turn and go in front of me so I have to get the bow back around the tree which I almost do successfully but my broad head gets caught on a small twig and it makes just a little noise. He hears that and it spooks him a little. He jumps off the trail about 5 feet and starts walking away from me. I come to full draw, anchor in, wait for him to stop, and let drive. I then get that empty feeling as I see my arrow veer left after hitting a small twig I simply didn't see.

He runs off, laughing at me I suppose, and I slump back into my seat, wondering how that went down that way.

I dunno what's worse, knowing you missed because of a small twig or being pumped for an hour in your stand thinking of which mount your going to choose then finding out you hit a twig after you go look for blood.

I'd definitely go with the latter. At least I knew my fate right away and could commence with the beating of the head against the tree.