• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rut Activity?

springermnguy26

You guys with the "deer moving" reports are responsible for me using my last sick day Friday. I've got to get out one more day before gun opener. Thanks for the motivation.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archerystud

• 96trigger

• FISHINGURU

• sticknstring

Did I mention that as fast as it starts, it can stop?

Went to the same stand tonight. Pulled up to my parking spot and a doe busted out of the woods and ran across the road. I figure a buck chased her out. So I quick hurried out to my stand and saw one buck all night.

That's huntin!!!!!

My son hunted again tonight, nothing. Unfortuneately he cant do morning hunts with school.

A week ago, I was on that stand and saw 4 different bucks and no idea how many does. Guessing a few at least.

He hasnt seen a deer now since that night I was out. And I havent seen a deer driving through the neighborhood in several days either. You nailed it Mike... it changes very fast!

I keep waiting for a text that he got something. Maybe tomorrow.

Sat all day today. I saw 7 bucks two monsters and one respectable 2.5 yr old. Not one doe seen. Couldn't get a shot off on the big boys.They are running hard. The wind was a tough one.

Had a nice nice 10 come in with a doe .. doe ran off, 10 circled around then a 6 point came in front of my stand to where i did a scent drag... they stared at each other for awhile 10 walked toward him and I shot him.. well I have some looking to do in the morning ( its in my im going to be sick thread)

Only saw one deer tonight but he was a dandy 8. pretty cool that he came walking in about 2:30 but he bedded down about 50 yards away. I watched him for 90 minutes until he finally got up about 4:00. he ignored my grunts and walked away. About 4:30 I did a rattling sequence. About 5:00 he came back but hung up at 40 yards in the brush. he finally melted away. Man it gets dark fast in the woods...

Got to my stand shortly before 4 tonight. Deer was bedded below it, think it was a doe. About an hour later a buck walks through, it's another little 8 pointer. He gets downwind of my scent wicks and starts coming up the bluff, grunting the whole time. Look to my right and 3 does are trying to make a hasty get away. He makes a half hearted attempt at a chase but is now eye level with me and he spots me. Of course we lock eyes and he doesn't like what he sees. He scoots off headed in the direction he was originally going. On my way out, had either a fork horn or nice doe pass within 20 yards of my parked truck on an alfalfa field waterway. I knocked an arrow just in case I had to use it in self defense. We passes within 50 yards of each other and it could have cared less. Out all day Friday before gun opener.

Another slow day for me. I had about a 130" 9 point come through about 2:00. He was moving slowly and cautiously from one bedding area to the next. I contemplated shooting him since I haven't been seeing much this year, but I just couldn't bring myself to clip on the release. Gotta let them young ones grow up a little.

Taking the day off from hunting to go to work tomorrow. Got a lot of catching up to do. I don't think I'll miss much in the woods the way things are going for me.

Saw 8 today while driving to and from work. One came flying out of the woods chasing, another doe in a dof spot was stomping at something in the woods behind her. Get home and there is a track in my yard. A deer right through the neighborhood.Talk with the neighbor and he tells me it's was a nice 8 pt. they were moving a lot in the north metro today.

saw two bucks sparring in a field with a doe and a fawn close by.

awesome to hear the antlers rattle. Got a nice show for about 5 minutes. se minnesota

sat last night and haven't seen a deer and it's also a management zone and never have I sat and didn't see 4+ deer. I'm in south central Crow Wing cnty and all my woods are dead with sign...zippo, nada scrape or rub.

MR

Had a doe/fawn come in this morning. Later a small 6 pointer cruised through.

As nice as the wet snow was yesterday morning it sucked today. I must have sounded like a heard of heffalumps walking into the woods this morning. I heard a couple running away as I walked in as well but it could have been the doe/fawn I saw later.

That's why I took this morning off. Figured I'd do more harm than good walking in. Hoping the sun melts most of it off today and I can get a quality (45 min) sit tonight!

Probably not a bad move SnS.

The woods I'm hitting we've owned since the 80's. It's a good woods until after Sunday, then it becomes VERY tough to hunt. So I'm hitting it while I can!!!

I think a bit they really were out feeding heavily moments before the snow started, sometimes get a little skittish with the first white ground of the year, saw 0 this AM first time this week so I expect to see some out tonight. Can't wait for Saturday, farmer is going to fire up the combines at 9:30 and drive that 240 acres of corn at me, could be interesting. Told him please park the semi's in the NW corner of the field, he said usually do not a problem ! smile

So it sounds like it's starting hard here in SE MN. I have my GF report back to me every day if she sees any dead deer on the road or out in the fields. She hasn't been seeing much of anything even though she drives through prime country every day.

Well this morning she texted me saying she seen a couple bucks out in the fields today on the way in. A couple hours later my buddy called me and said he seen 4 bucks out in the fields on his way home at 9-10am.

So they are moving, and in open fields during broad daylight. FINALLY

I saw 3 coyotes at 7am 40yds west of my stand. Figured my morning was screwed. 745 my target buck shows up from the east. He then turns and comes toward my stand. He shakes the snow and frost off himself like a dog does water. Then he proceeds towards me quartering. I draw before he is in my lane. Then he stops dead center in the opening. I squeeze I heard the thud of arrow on rib cage. He runs hard 50 yards and snow plows. This was a good day. They are on their feet. Call in sick Friday.

Decent 8 chasing 2 does came within 15 yards an hour ago he was right on there tail. Nose down and pushing them

Good luck!

Ken

New plan. Crunchy ground and a dead calm morning so I skipped being in the woods. Will be heading out once the ground warms up and I can enter the woods quietly.

Hope to be in the stand by 11am and sit the rest of the day.

Its on! 4 bucks so far...all cruising. nothing big enough. Midday movement on fire. Haven't had a chance to even sit down! Need the right doe to come by...

OMG. Stuck my phone in my coat and I hear a grunt. Wide 8 pointer runs a doe by me. He may havwe smelled me but no way to predict chasing

Still not seeing much activity in the Northern Wisconsin (Superior) area. Couple small spikes and forks moving through, but not seeing the Rubs and Scrapes like in years past.

Saw a total of 3 bucks and 7 does tonight. The big 8 was really dogging the doe. I saw another doe later (could have been the same one) and her back legs were pretty stained. Probably 2-3 days away from being ready.

Pretty sure this is the big 8 I saw tonight, although with 8's there could be multiple of them around. Not huge but decent. If nobody gets him he would be a BEAUTY next year.

Big8_zps5eae5c48.jpg

Superior WI-lots of deer I saw tonight in the fields. Mostly slick heads from what I could tell but did see a nice 8 pointer running with a big doe.