• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Morgs

Ice house rental on Mille Lacs

Morgs

I'm sure a million people have asked for info on this in the past, but I have no clue how to search for the specific info I'm looking for.

Myself and 5 buddies get together on the 3rd weekend in January every year, and do some ice fishing. This year we've got our eyes on Mille Lacs. I'm the only one who's ice fished Mille Lacs, and it's been about 10 years, so we are pretty clueless.

We are looking for some ice house rental options that could fit a group of 6 good sized guys and will allow us to rent from a Friday to Monday. I've done a bunch of e-mailing to some of the resorts in the area, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have used some of the resorts\fish house rentals. Ideally, we'd like to get on the lake from the south, or southwestern, parts of the lake. I appreciate all of the info that anyone can provide, and if there are any owners of resorts, or ice houses that want to contact me, feel free to e-mail. [email protected]

Thanks.

eyehunter78

Well, you could try Jerry Brandts, Mac's Twin Bay, Mcquoids, Rocky Reef, but if ya wanna actually catch and keep fish drive the extra miles and head straight to RED LAKE!!

Abndoc

Cookie's on red. By far the best rental in minnesota. Great shacks...works his tail off to put you on fish and a great guy. You won't be disappointed!!!

Ryan_V

a little outside of your location parameters, but appeldoorns on the se side is hard to beat. you won't find better customer service anywhere on the lake. I've also heard his things about the red door, but that's even further on the north side. good luck, I'm hoping I'll be up at my shack then as well!

dfv87

Paul has never given me a reason to try anywhere else... He works to keep the houses on fish and the roads marked and plowed... call him!

GravelBar

Lybacks, nobody onows the lake like Eddy!

DoubleLunger

Garrison Sports has put me on fish every time up. Great people as well, real straight shooters and will give ya the bad report as well as good.

Fowlmouth

mille lacs is the dead sea. i wouldnt waste your time and money there. make the drive to red or leech, well worth the extra drive.

maxpower117

mille lacs is the dead sea. i wouldnt waste your time and money there. make the drive to red or leech, well worth the extra drive.

We're all really appreciative of the insightful information.

RiverChuckNorris

Go forth and spread this incredible insight, seriously...... whistle

Morgs

Thanks for all of the input guys. If I was the only person making the decision I'd make the drive to Red or LOTW, but due to the other guys in my crew wanting to fish Mille Lacs this year. I'm stuck. I ended up booking a shack at Macs Twin Bay.

Again,I appreciate all the suggestions.

bassfshin24

I stayed in one of the big houses at Mac's last year and tehy were great! We went the 3rd weekend in January as well. The fishing wasn't great in the house but did get a few. If you're looking to actually catch fish you will definitely want to get out and move a little bit. Very nices houses though.

Morgs

I stayed in one of the big houses at Mac's last year and tehy were great! We went the 3rd weekend in January as well. The fishing wasn't great in the house but did get a few. If you're looking to actually catch fish you will definitely want to get out and move a little bit. Very nices houses though.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear that the houses are nice. We like to catch fish, but after the first couple hours out there it just turns into a line in the water and a bunch of guys throwing a few back and telling stories. However, I was planning on getting out of the house if the weather is decent enough to allow that. Thanks for the tip!

bassfshin24

Sounds like us haha. We got out a couple of times but not with much success. We actually drove into Isle bay and setup a bunch of tip ups for pike since the eye fishing was slow and had a blast with that. Drank beer, played bochi ball, and watched flags. It was a good time.

concretekid

Fished most of my years at Brandt's on the southwest end and they are a great run multi-generation family business. They have some nice houses, great fishing structure and are always watching out for the safety of their guests. Plus if you can't find any action on the main lake you can always run into cove bay or Bayview. I'm a little jaded because I never had a reason to go to the other places, but I have friends that have had good experiences at many of the other places listed above also.

gregg52

I will say this if you are going that late the bite on mile lacs is typically non existent but that could be different these days but realize you wont be taking many fish home with the goofy slots

if you going just for the good times then from what I hear Appledorns is the best bet

If you want to catch fish and numbers of them check out winnie

I've had great success up there late in year

Of course it depends in ice and snow conditions

And really need to have your house there are rentals but I don't know how good their results are

Morgs

Sounds like us haha. We got out a couple of times but not with much success. We actually drove into Isle bay and setup a bunch of tip ups for pike since the eye fishing was slow and had a blast with that. Drank beer, played bochi ball, and watched flags. It was a good time.

That's a great idea! I'll have to put the bags and boards in the truck just in case. What kind of success did you guys have on the tip-ups?

bassfshin24

We had some decent success on the flags. We got there in within the first 30 minutes we had like 6 flags and caught 3 pike. Then after that for some reason it slowed way down and only had a couple more flags and 1 other pike. Still had a good time though.

ZachD

There is no pike in the dead sea either.. you best stay away from isle bay as well

MinnesotaMuskie

Jeez, I guess all the fish I got last year did not get your memo....

Thank you Mr. Positive. Just curious, If you do not like the lake, why look at the thread...just to complain???

Mike Dumas

If your looking for a party shack for the weekend check out walleye Dundees. They aren't ice castles but they are very well heated and a place to crash on the ice while your lines are down. The atmosphere there is the best. Walleyedundees.com give sandy a call. She will go over the top to make sure your weekend is the best! And Larry and mark keep the roads cleared and around your house daily!!