• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Amsoil oil

Duckman8

Question

What mixture do you mix this at. The container says that you mix for everything at 100:1, but my auger takes 24:1. What do you do? Help! Do you try and break it down? There is no chart on the bottle. Any ifo is appreciated.

Great info Knotwood! Thanks for typing that.

Steve,
Yes, you can switch anytime. I have heard that once you switch to synthetic, you do not want to go back and forth from petro to synthetic products. They claim you can mix them, but you won't see the true effects.

The best performance increase was my 115hp outboard. You will notice a lot less smoke, smoother trolling, easier starting and less deposits that dampen performance.

Thanks, guys. Guess I better get that leaking valve cover gasket replaced before I switch over, eh? Gets to be pretty expensive, leaking Amsoil onto the pavement. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Personally I use petroleum products, because they are easier to find if out in the boonies and can't find Amsoil (or other brands like Mobil 1). I look at the cost for the oils, and definitely cheaper (for me, anyway) to use petro. Everybody I talk to that use synthetics have had very good success with it (some motorcycle applications are still questionable due to the clutch bathed transmissions- most everyone who uses synth for them report good results, though), synthetics are a superior lube, and run cooler and do not break down over time and are generally more stable under loads and high temperatures. If you decide to use synthetics, stay with that kind of oil, do not switch back and forth, unless you completely remove all the oil that is inside the engine you are using. My understanding also says it isn't recommended for break in, but anytime (even years) after that, should improve running and wear characteristics. Dirt and excessive heat are killers of engines, if using synthetics in a regular vehicle, keep changing filters on a regular basis, even though the oil lasts longer between changes.

Yes you can switch at any time. With the 4 cycles if you did not change you oil frequently you should use (Amsoil) engine flush before changing over. This is because of Amsoils excellent detergent action. It may turn dark brown or black sooner in this case. If you have changed oil frequently and you engine is in sound mechanical condition there should be no problem. 2-Cycles you can change over at anytime. As for ALL engines it is best to break in a new engine BEFORE changing over. Reguarding the New car warranty oil change recomendation: Follow the oil change recommendations in your car manual. Failure to do this may cause the manufacture to deny a new vehicle warranty claim. If in doubt, check with you dealer Service Manager BEFORE you extend those oil change intervals.

Catfish,
I switched over my old 6cyl truck at 90000 from standard oil to Amsoil. I also switched over the tranny and transfer case over to Amsoil at that time. The only thing that i was told is that there we some folks that developed a small oil leak on switchover. This was explained as being the result of the symthetic not "plugging" a seal defection as well as regular oils. I never had any leakage. Where i really noticed a difference was in the transfer case. It used to be very stiff when it got real cold out moving to 4wd. After the switch, much easier even on the coldest day. I probably gained 1mpg afterward. Ran it for another 45k before i sold it, and a friend has had it the last year with no problems. I havnt tried it in my auger or other engines.
Xplorer