• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ponder

harvey lee

Oh, so you agree with Reusse now?
never said I disagreed with him just don't value his opinion at all.

I have a feeling the pack will start 0-3. Then the division will be wide open.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• Scott K

• LMITOUT

Wide open? How do you figure? When the queens lose to the Lions and Bears the first two games......thought you had more knowledge and knew they were both in the NFC north....

Yep I'm trolling and loving it....popcorn please.

Seriously, Ponder will fail. Just watch. He will fail!

On another team who knows? But as a Viking he will flirt with the idea of a career in the Canadian league after he struggles here for a couple seasons. Ponder will not get us past what he shelled out last year. These are the QB's of the Vikings minus the Brett F ordeal.

Only reason he is still with us is because he bailed last year knowing if he blew the season he would be gone so why not let Webb take the fall/blame?

I could always win the Power Ball so yes the Vikes could win a championship this season but just like my odds/averages of winning the Power Ball any time soon the odds/averages would say the Vikes pooch it up again this year like they always have.

Hope is like dope when it comes to the Vikings. smile

How many teams are in the league?

Quote:
Jaws QB rankings: Christian Ponder No. 27

July, 3, 2013

I've been playing catchup on Ron Jaworski's annual preseason quarterback rankings, which began last month on "SportsCenter" and "NFL Live," while looking for the corresponding video. That's not going to happen because of NFL digital video rights, but I can now bring to you the next-best thing.

Allie Stoneberg of ESPN's communications office is posting transcriptions of Jaworski's comments on ESPN's MediaZone page. As a result, you can see that Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder received the No. 27 overall ranking (out of 32).

[+] EnlargeChristian Ponder

Bruce Kluckhohn/USA TODAY Sports

What the Vikings need from Christian Ponder this season is more consistent performance.

That's one spot higher than last season's rankings, but I don't think it represents material change in Jaworski's assessment. After all, the No. 26 quarterback this year is the Cleveland Browns' Brandon Weeden, who will be challenged for the starting job by Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer.

Here's a portion of Jaworski said about Ponder:

"The arrow is pointing upward as Ponder begins his third season as the Vikings starter.

"Ponder fits the profile so many are now talking about: the athletic movement quarterback who can beat you with his legs. Ponder is an opportunity runner, and he's shown the ability to burn some of the best defenses in the league.

"Ponder needs to make significant improvements as a pocket passer. Surprisingly, with Adrian Peterson in the backfield, he was not efficient off play-action. Ponder also had a tendency to be a beat late with his throws. At this point, he doesn't see the whole field with clarity and that led to too many throws into the teeth of the coverage.

"And he must execute versus the blitz much better than he did in 2012.

"You know what statistic really bothered me? Ponder had only 28 completions of 20 yards or more -- by far the fewest of any 16-game starter. I saw one in Week 17 that I really liked. It was a shot play, first-and-10 play-action out of base personnel.

"Overall, I like Ponder's skillset. He has plus arm strength with the ability to make every single throw. The Vikings have now provided Ponder with more weapons on the outside. [The 2013 season] is an important season for the third-year quarterback. It's time to play more consistently from the pocket. If Ponder does that, he could well be in my top 20 next year."

Wow! The top 20? Talk about being damned by faint praise….

Let's provide some specifics on what Jaworski referenced. Ponder threw the second-most play-action passes in the NFL last season (165), according to ESPN Stats & Information. He passed for half of his season total of touchdown passes (nine of 18) on such throws. But he also threw four interceptions and took eight sacks, finishing with an 88.2 passer rating and a 63.2 Total Quarterback Rating overall in play-action.

Both figures are above average, but to Jaworski's point, you would hope them to be sparkling considering Peterson's presence.

As we discussed last month, Ponder took a sharp turn last year that left an overall impression of a poor season. He was one of the NFL's 10 most efficient quarterbacks in the first four and final four games, but in between he was one of its worst. His most important goal for 2013, in my view, is to even out his play to give the Vikings a more reliable accounting of what he can do over the long term.

Look for the rest of the NFC North's rankings in the upcoming weeks.

Only reason he is still with us is because he bailed last year knowing if he blew the season he would be gone so why not let Webb take the fall/blame?

SMH

"You know what statistic really bothered me? Ponder had only 28 completions of 20 yards or more -- by far the fewest of any 16-game starter."

Now lets rank receivers. LOL grin

Quote:
IS CHRISTIAN PONDER ACTUALLY TARVARIS JACKSON?

Written by PJD on 04 December 2012.

TarVar Jackson

We've been fooled, every last one of us.

Ever since the Vikings drafted "Christian Ponder" and let former Minnesota Vikings starting quarterback, Tarvaris Jackson, walk in free agency to sign with Seattle, we haven't seen any type of improvement in quarterback play. You would think we would, or at the very least that we would notice some type of differences in style, or numbers, or approach to the game, ANYthing. As Vikings fans, we were clamoring to have Tarvaris (or TarVar, as he was always affectionately called around here) run out of town and to bring in the new franchise quarterback. It seemed we had our wish when the Vikings picked Ponder. But we should have seen it coming, we should have seen the signs.

We never got a new quarterback after Brad Childress left. We just got Tarvaris Jackson in White Face.

Ponderis Jackson

Vikings blog Daily Norseman brings some compelling evidence to our attention. Take a look at these numbers comparing "Christian Ponder" and TarVar in their starts as quarterback of the Vikings. The results ... May be shocking:

"Christian Ponder" Stats Tarvaris Jackson

22 Starts in Minnesota 20

3,984 Passing Yards 4,086

24 Passing Touchdowns 26

22 Interceptions 22

58.7 Completion Percentage 59.4

76.6 Passer Rating 76.7

But this isn't all. We should have seen the other signs too, the more obvious ones. We were expecting a prototypical passer with Christian Ponder, a quarterback who would stand in the pocket and throw the ball down field. But no. We ended up with, oddly enough, a white running quarterback, a "scrambler" if you prefer to use the Caucasian term for running quarterback, very similar to TarVar's style. And the number of times both of these "different quarterbacks" have run into or banged knees with Adrian Peterson? Too numerous to count. There is simply no way there could be TWO separately people on this earth dumb enough to do that. And the number seven jersey. It was so obvious. "Ponder" couldn't even pretend he was trying to be double the quarterback he was as TarVar by picking 14 or something. Instead, he remained the status quo and drove this team to the ground while wearing the same, cursed, number.

He's like Batman. TarVar is like Batman for the Vikings, but an evil one. Not one that protects fans from failures and harm, but one who inflicts it. It's the only answer. Have you ever seen "Ponder" and TarVar in the same place together? Of course not, because it hasn't happened. It will never happen. He has to spend too much time in the chair to apply his White Face to pass as "Christian Ponder," young, franchise quarterback of the Vikings. But it won't work, Pondaris Jackson, we're on to you. We've seen how you both like to take your shirts off. That was the first giveaway. The interceptions and poor play was just the final straw.

Shirtless Ponderis Jackson

But we've learned our lesson. We kicked you to the curb and your alter ego is next, buddy, no doubt. So don't expect to see a number seven jersey on the field next year. We won't allow it. And wipe that White Face off, you look ridiculous.

Wide open? How do you figure? When the queens lose to the Lions and Bears the first two games......thought you had more knowledge and knew they were both in the NFC north....

Yep I'm trolling and loving it....popcorn please.

worst case the bikes are 1-2 at that point and one game up. To think the lions are for real at this point is a stretch (watch them blow the vikes out by 30 now). Bears have a new coach and new scheme they are prime for the picking. Terrible pass protection, terrible running game. Definite win there. Heck I don't see a loss until week 19. Lmao

I'm guessing Harvin would rank pretty high on that list.

Doubtful, especially among ACTIVE receivers. LOL grin

A QB with a 50 rating would be a liability and although there may be a chance to get lucky during the regular season and pull out a few wins with a solid defense and a great running game, you will NEVER get away with that in the play-offs.

Trent Dilfer begs to differ.

There are alot of decent QB's out there that were pretty bad their first few yrs.

Ponders last real game he threw for 234 yds with 3td's and 0 Ints, with a QB rating of 120.2 in a game we needed to win to make the playoffs. That was pretty clutch, then he wet the bed and didn't start in the playoffs though that was pretty lame.

Ponder is no better with AP playing was one of the best ones I've heard in awhile. Our team is total garbage without AP no matter who is QB unless you got one of the top 5 in the league.

Trent Dilfer begs to differ.

So are you comparing the Vikings defense to the Defense he had that year?

I have a feeling the pack will start 0-3. Then the division will be wide open.

No opinion how the rest of the division will start?

No opinion how the rest of the division will start?

I haven't looked at the lions or bears complete schedule yet. When I do I will let you know.

Didnt think it possible, but this guy is getting worse not better! I really thought he could progress to a serviceable QB... I take that back! Flounder is a steaming turd!

Good Luck!

Ken

He's just as good as every one of us non purple coolaid drinkers know he is.

+1 I needed a good laugh today and watching Ponder gave me that

I knew there was a reason I liked this Ponder guy and now that that we have a real regular season game behind us its clear to me why. . He has clearly made it SUPER easy to go fishing on Sundays as long as he is playing. It's like getting dealt a seven/duece every hand.

I knew there was a reason I liked this Ponder guy and now that that we have a real regular season game behind us its clear to me why. . He has clearly made it SUPER easy to go fishing on Sundays as long as he is playing. It's like getting dealt a seven/duece every hand.

That's a quick about-face!

He did make some pretty decent passes in the second half. Certainly not for lack of talent out there. Just seems like the Vikes don't ever play with a lot of passion. They never seem to put it ALL together.

Pretty lackluster performance overall. My official new favorite team is Denver! laugh

I am not sure who is worse, Ponder, or the OC sending in the plays. When it is 3rd and 14, how do you send in the play to throw the ball 4 yards deep in your backfield? How about 2nd and a foot, and you throw a 1 yard pass for an interception? If you are passing on 2nd and a foot, throw it deep, its like a free play. I wasnt to fond of the Denny play to kneel it at half time either. Why not hand it off to Peterson, you never know, he might just break loose for a TD.

It is a good thing bow hunting starts next weekend, I cant watch another game with Ponder behind center. I figure by game 3 I should have my tags full by then. So maybe Cassel will be the starter by then. That will give me a couple weeks to watch them before the Wisconsin deer season.