• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

decided i'm heading up thursday mid morning. if i dont like the ice condition i'll chase grouse for a cople days.......if the ice doesnt improve enough just head home!

Still going up but no fishing.  Got word from a friend  that personally knows  the CO. HE got 3 calls of houses going down.

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

I'm on the road for work but heard the ice took a hit. I'll be home Saturday. Maybe I can find a place on the river to put the boat in???

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

5 hours ago, Kettle said:

I'm on the road for work but heard the ice took a hit. I'll be home Saturday. Maybe I can find a place on the river to put the boat in???

Quite possible.  The river at my place completely opened back up, even the eddy.  That’s the first to freeze and last to thaw. 

I missed the ice out date by a lot…. 😉 

• Yayyyy 3

We were thinking of going as far as Hackensack tomorrow, then work our way back through Fifty Lakes and Aitkin over the next few days.

I hope we can find something to get out on.  But yeah, bad reports all over.  Just a few sleepers with decent conditions.

Hope you find some grouse at least!

• Thumbs Up 1

Settled in Aitkin with some friends for the weekend.

Ice had pulled away from the shore and just skimmed over.  Had to put a dock section out for a bridge to get to the thicker ice.  Lost 2.5-3 inches of the main ice sheet.  It’s at about 7 now.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Settled in Aitkin with some friends for the weekend.

Ice had pulled away from the shore and just skimmed over.  Had to put a dock section out for a bridge to get to the thicker ice.  Lost 2.5-3 inches of the main ice sheet.  It’s at about 7 now.

So just how good is that 7 inches Wanderer?? I never got 2 steps out on the lake because of how dark it looked. Yesterday some guy was walking all over the lake, Areas I wouldn't of believed it would hold anyone up. 

Met up with a fella at Reillys last night for a few beers and has a place on bowstring says there going out with wheelers. 

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

So just how good is that 7 inches Wanderer?? 

It’s still good and solid.  6 inches on the main basin where it 8.5-9 a week ago.  The one plus is there a little roughness to the surface so you don’t HAVE to wear cleats if you don’t want to.

I’d take a standard single wheeler out  but not the SxS.

Edited by Wanderer

Plenty of small crappies today.  Went to a new spot on the lake to try for pike or walleye.  About 5 minutes in, this one grabbed hold.  Didn’t measure it but guessed it to be maybe 30 inches.

IMG_7732.thumb.jpeg.5ed6d0f3462d12d76a20aa6e71852df8.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

Always nice to see that, Wanderer. But, were they biting? No pics, they must not have!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

• Yayyyy 1

7 hours ago, Hookmaster said:

Always nice to see that, Wanderer. But, were they biting? No pics, they must not have!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

Yep, they were biting!  Nothing real big though.  Some in the 10 range but nothing worth taking pics of.  

Caught tons of em on this guy.  No bait.IMG_7741.thumb.jpeg.8087b48f8e8ddf64f498cbc80d031dc6.jpeg

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2

Amazing how the wonder bread color has been a big hit on several lures. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Dash 1 said:

Amazing how the wonder bread color has been a big hit on several lures. 

The pink tiger micro Rippin Rap was doing great too until a pike swiped it.  The orange tiger was worthless.

• Thumbs Up 1

KETTLE....... you have a chance to check ice the last few days.?????? 

4 wheeler is done and seriously thinkin of heading up the next few days!!!!!!!!

@smurfy Kettle IS the better source for you, but you’re probably good to go.  The skim ice at the shoreline last Friday was walkable on Monday.  

I’m seeing posts from Winnie with wheelhouses being dollied out by 4 wheelers.  We’re considering doing the same this weekend.  Wheelers with portables should be a sure thing on smaller lakes up that way.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

48 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@smurfy Kettle IS the better source for you, but you’re probably good to go.  The skim ice at the shoreline last Friday was walkable on Monday.  

I’m seeing posts from Winnie with wheelhouses being dollied out by 4 wheelers.  We’re considering doing the same this weekend.  Wheelers with portables should be a sure thing on smaller lakes up that way.

👍 thanks Wanderer......thinking the same thing....... i'm gonna make some calls later to a couple places close by that sells bait!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Cold this morning. Working up by the boarder until Sunday morning. Hoping to get out around Talmoon Sunday. I anticipate taking the snowmobile. Any lake under 1000 acers I'd have zero issues taking the sled as it doesn't appear to get above freezing for several days. Wheelers all over my lake yesterday 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
On 12/31/2023 at 6:22 PM, Wanderer said:

IMG_7740.thumb.jpeg.4396990c1295722c591c258f22312e95.jpeg

Don't forget to update, your date or you might fish the wrong moon phase!  :P

• Yayyyy 1

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Don't forget to update, your date or you might fish the wrong moon phase!  :P

Yah, that moon phase is critical!  LOL!  Not for pans at least but we do pay a lot of attention to it for muskies.  Somewhat for lakers too.

Thanks the extra eyes on it! 😉 

• Yayyyy 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Yah, that moon phase is critical!  LOL!  Not for pans at least but we do pay a lot of attention to it for muskies.  Somewhat for lakers too.

Thanks the extra eyes on it! 😉 

Love when the TV and YouTube guys leave up there gps spots a bit to long! 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Headed up tomorrow to beat the snow. Talmoon spur said 9 inches of ice on most area lakes.👍

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

.Roads were wet but good.  It's game on fellers.

Yea Leech come on up.🤣😉 there where 6 vehicles at the lounge landing this morning. 🤣

20240105_123438.jpg

Edited by smurfy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

Yea Leech come on up.🤣😉 

20240105_123438.jpg

Can't this weekend but don't test me I'll come dang it, I'll come up!   Once you test out the ice real good!  :grin:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

I'm here till at least Thursday. 

Be careful, another death on Cass Lake, 4 wheeler through.  Below temps coming later next week, that should get me out on some ice!  

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be  safe. I've already  cautiously checked the ice in all the places I plan of fishing the rest of my time up here 

But dang only see 2 so far. Like there in that mid winter funk already  🤨

• Thumbs Up 2