• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Skim of ice on some bigger lakes this morning. By noon wind pushed em open. On the road working the next few days but hoping to put the boat in one last time Wed in the brutal Temps. Then I'll winterize it and get the ice gear out. I'd venture to say, two weeks there will be a fair amount of fishable ice. I'll hit it hard Dec and January but plan on escaping MN most of February 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, smurfy said:

darn sam!!!!!! the lake  the cabin is on is part of that watershed....we are up stream however.

i just was elected/appointed to the Jessie lake watershed Association as a member of the board of directors!......did they say what resort...??? not that many on the lake. the new secretary of the JLWA is a resort owner on Jessie.......dont recall the name but she's on the south end near Rileys!!

No smurfy, sorry but I didn’t see the name of the resort mentioned.  I‘m sure you’ll find out soon though considering your role up there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Kettle said:

Skim of ice on some bigger lakes this morning. By noon wind pushed em open. On the road working the next few days but hoping to put the boat in one last time Wed in the brutal Temps. Then I'll winterize it and get the ice gear out. I'd venture to say, two weeks there will be a fair amount of fishable ice. I'll hit it hard Dec and January but plan on escaping MN most of February 

yea i'm getting a bit worried about my 2nd weekend in dec trip..........🥴

12 hours ago, smurfy said:

yea i'm getting a bit worried about my 2nd weekend in dec trip..........🥴

Smaller lakes will definitely be froze up

On 11/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, Kettle said:

Smaller lakes will definitely be froze up

froze up but not enough for me. guy from rapids just told me he found mas of 4 50 yards out from the landing on split hand, 2 inches just off the Little winnie access, and 4 1/2 on some medium sized, shallow lakes around graves and north star. so the fish are safe till new years weekend.

I'll be out this weekend snooping around. Spud, ice picks and life jacket at all times. I'll let you know what I find as well 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

1 hour ago, Kettle said:

I'll be out this weekend snooping around. Spud, ice picks and life jacket at all times. I'll let you know what I find as well 

would be appreciated. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Checked several lakes 6-7 inches. Wheelers on Dora, I'm sure by next weekend smurf there will be 8+. Only lake with open water was Caribou 

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, Kettle said:

Checked several lakes 6-7 inches. Wheelers on Dora, I'm sure by next weekend smurf there will be 8+. Only lake with open water was Caribou 

thanks bud. i'm kinda committed till after christmas, but after that............besides with no snow on the ice spearchucking would not be good. dem fish get real spooky with shadows!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

and an after thought...........even with 6-7 inches there could still be some thinner ice yet. i usually dont venture out deeper then 10 ft early but now that i've gotten older and wiser i need to use a sled or wheeler nowadays and i way prefer about 8-10 inches of ice........but thats just me!!!!!!👍

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, smurfy said:

awe yea......kettle my friend.......you forgot t tell us if you caught any fish????🤣🤗

I caught a few eyes... we're getting a dusting of snow tonight. I probably won't fish much until we get more ice and snow as I like running the sled. Really don't like ice fishing much, do it more for something to do as there's not much to do in the winter. I'm going to start bobcat trapping this winter though

• Thumbs Up 2

read Jeff Sundins most recent report........even he's pretty leary about the state of current ice conditions..........

Facebook, iffin you can believe hadca video of a guy's spearhole. Claims 8- 12 inches of ice in Itasca County,  is that real?

10 hours ago, Kettle said:

I'm sure there are lakes with 8 inches but still a few lakes open. I'm going up near the boarder next week to fish myself 

i'll take 8 inches. good enough for a wheeler. getting older, or should i say .......with more life experience 👍🤗 its way easier on this body using a wheeler to haul stuff!!!!

i have 3 lakes in mind when i'm up there i want to fish, the 2 i've been on enough early ice i have no doubt ice is good....the 3 rd i also have been on enough to know how it freezes, but it never has the same amount of ice as the cabin lake, smaller but deeper. 

Drove up 38 this morning. Everything locked up besides Caribou. Nice and cold this morning with little wind. Dusting of snow last night 

• l Love It 1

if anyone inthe area hits the ice this weekend........i'd sure really appreciate an ice report...........purty please!!!!!🤗👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of town working until Sunday and work locally Monday. If I have time I'll check some Sunday. Tues I'm going up to baudette to fish

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Kettle said:

Out of town working until Sunday and work locally Monday. If I have time I'll check some Sunday. Tues I'm going up to baudette to fish

thanks bud......just kinda heard theres about 8-10 on most smaller lakes!!!!!

Pokegama is always one of the last lakes to freeze. There are parts with 5"+ and some still open. Very unpredictable lake. Two sleds went down last year early ice. I don't go out there until people on side by sides and I'm on my light sled. Always ridges and cracks there throughout the year. I have a healthy respect for that lake in the winter 

• l Love It 1

i couldnt take it no more so i called the bowstring store and talmoon spur!!!!!! talmoon store didnt have much info on ice conditions except for little jessie. he said at one time it had 6 inches now its at 4. but he said he works only weekends there and people are coming in to buy bait so there going out somewhere.

bowstring store only had info on jessie and bowstring. bowstring had 6 inches jessie had 4-6 and in deeper water only 3. 

decided i'm going up anyway...........if i dont like even remorely how the ice is i wont go out. i got some stuff to deal with on 2 wheelers...batteries to put back in, i'd rather do at 30 degreesthen -10. and bringing the shotgun to chase grouse. they were pretty tame looking after everyone left deer hunting that first week.

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 hours ago, smurfy said:

i couldnt take it no more so i called the bowstring store and talmoon spur!!!!!! talmoon store didnt have much info on ice conditions except for little jessie. he said at one time it had 6 inches now its at 4. but he said he works only weekends there and people are coming in to buy bait so there going out somewhere.

bowstring store only had info on jessie and bowstring. bowstring had 6 inches jessie had 4-6 and in deeper water only 3. 

decided i'm going up anyway...........if i dont like even remorely how the ice is i wont go out. i got some stuff to deal with on 2 wheelers...batteries to put back in, i'd rather do at 30 degreesthen -10. and bringing the shotgun to chase grouse. they were pretty tame looking after everyone left deer hunting that first week.

Now where's Wanderer. He always gives me crap for not checking slush, myself! 😏 

Edited by leech~~
  • Yayyyy 1

sure looks like both yesterday evening and again this morning there's been someone fishing off to the right of geigers web cam??????? for me a good sign!!!!1👍

for some reason with the forecast i'm getting this quezy feeling i should maybe hold out for a few more days before i head up. 😣🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Probably not a bad call with your flexible schedule.

my thoughts exactly. thinking though maybe wed morning........ got some things to do first up before the temps drop i need to do outside. then maybe chase grouse for a day or so to let the ice firm up based on the forecast............ its been almost 2 months since i've been up there and its killin me!!!!!!🙄🤣