• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

forgot to post but went up shortly after my last day. spent most of my time dodging rain showers. did make a few trails chasing grouse but the woods sure was wet. checked out deer stands too. 

went fishing once and promptly got rained off the lake. did catch 6 pike with one being 28 inches........its still swimming.

headed back up over MEA weekend to fix deer stands and do whatever. i dont expect to get much grouse hunting in as i think the woods will be really busy. maybe get out fishing, dont think the lake will be as busy as the woods. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smurfy

• gunner55

• PRO-V

• snowfighter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some recent game cam pics from Up Nort

My son is doing the trapping. I just follow him and provide protection.😁 He gets to do all the lifting and carrying. He's training his kids to trap too. If they give out wolf permits then I will be tr

well fellas.......my last official day of employment today.........from here on out i'll be retired and plan on spending way more time up that direction!!!!!!!!   LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!🤣🤭

Posted Images

came back to civilization this past sunday. was nice tuesday when i got there and got alot of cabin stuff done. wed it rained all day but managed to do inside stuff that needed doing. thursday i finished up yard stuff and did a little hunting. friday finally got 2 grouse 😊 them gonna be good!!!!!!!! sat the kid and i fixed up deer stands but holy moly rockey with that snow was it wet in the woods. finished winterizing the cabin.

for me the weather wasnt cooperative to fish, so......... until there is ice the fish are safe from me!!!!!😜 the deer need to worry though!!!! sure would be nice if this snow melted, the ground needs to freeze up some.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

well deer hunting is over for me. wasnt the best of years but we did get our anterless permits filled. my nephew had a short video of a timberwolf he filmed in front of him opening morning, and my brother said he hat a bobcat checking him out.

time to put guns away and prep for ice season.!!!!! when i left the cabin monday morning the lake was iced up as far as i could see. NOW the wind needs to let it be and no early pile of snow like the past 2 years!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3
Wanderer

She’ll windy from Central Mn to the Cities tomorrow!  Hopefully that doesn’t mess up you ice up there!

• Thumbs Up 1
52 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

She’ll windy from Central Mn to the Cities tomorrow!  Hopefully that doesn’t mess up you ice up there!

Me too!!! Temps next couple weeks might not help either. But I got all kinds of time now. No need to wait for weekends, it's always the weekend now!!👍😂😊

• l Love It 1
1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Six Saturdays and one Sunday, eh?  Congrats on retirement!

Yeppers, and thanks.👍 since Oct and got my first pension check!!!👍👍

• Thumbs Up 1

anyone have any reports on ice??????? wont be up for a few weeks yet but i'm getting the bug. looking at the geigers cam there is ice out in front on bowstring. the narrows has some but sporadic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a lot on Bowstring Lake (NE side of the lake).  Was up there today, there were a number of 4 wheelers on the lake (I would guess about 4 groups fishing 1/2 mile out of the landing).  I walked around on the ice, and found a hole and the ice looked to be about 7 inches thick.  There were a couple of side by sides out, however they were right up against the shore or not far off from shore.  Very excited to be on this lake.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, WLB0704 said:

Just purchased a lot on Bowstring Lake (NE side of the lake).  Was up there today, there were a number of 4 wheelers on the lake (I would guess about 4 groups fishing 1/2 mile out of the landing).  I walked around on the ice, and found a hole and the ice looked to be about 7 inches thick.  There were a couple of side by sides out, however they were right up against the shore or not far off from shore.  Very excited to be on this lake.

So where are you from the city rd 35 access??  We have a place bout 7 miles north.

20 hours ago, WLB0704 said:

Congratulations! @WLB0704

I'll be moving to the area after residency. Tons of great lakes in that area!

• Thumbs Up 2
1 hour ago, Kettle said:

Congratulations! @WLB0704

I'll be moving to the area after residency. Tons of great lakes in that area!

oh oh........area's getting a bit populated!!!!!!!!!!!😂😊

• Thumbs Up 2
12 hours ago, smurfy said:

Just doing my best to encroach 🤣 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Welcome to the area WLB0704 we have a place nearby on Sand, just off Co Rd 35 & a few places north of Lakewood Lodge. Been going up there since '64 when the grandparents bought it. Beautiful area, lots of lakes,  &  the people are friendly.  We spend the majority of our year, 8-9 months or so, up there.

2 hours ago, Kettle said:

Just doing my best to encroach 🤣 

so that means if you move to the area after your residency, that there;s a good chance we could meet up so you can remove a fishhook from somewhere on my body!!!!!!😫😳🤣

Wanderer
21 hours ago, smurfy said:

Sounds like it’s almost gonna double!

• Yayyyy 3
7 hours ago, smurfy said:

so that means if you move to the area after your residency, that there;s a good chance we could meet up so you can remove a fishhook from somewhere on my body!!!!!!😫😳🤣

Definitely! Removed a ton of fish hooks while I was doing my rural ER rotation. I even carry anesthetics! 

First purchase after loans are paid off will be a big tiller, hopefully I can meet up with a few of you and chase walleye!

Kettle

• Thumbs Up 2

Sad to say Mike's right!:crazy: You'd probably have catch a walleye 1st so you could show smurf what they look like.;) He has a real hard time catching walleyes unless his wife goes with him.:DSo he usually only fishes for little sunfish & those slimy toothy critters.:rolleyes:

• Wow, ❤ 1
48 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

good luck with smurf on that one, he thinks walleye are rough fish!!  

Well I do try to remove some from the lakes when I get that chance!!!😊

9 minutes ago, gunner55 said:

Sad to say Mike's right!:crazy: You'd probably have catch a walleye 1st so you could show smurf what they look like.;) He has a real hard time catching walleyes unless his wife goes with him.:DSo he usually only fishes for little sunfish & those slimy toothy critters.:rolleyes:

Dang rough crowd here this morning.😫🥴

so......where's that ProV been>>>>>>>🙄

kettle.........you hearing any ice thickness reports??????

i called the bowstring store and the talmoon spur. one says there not using wheelers on little turtle the other one says they are.

one says there's 8 inches of ice on bowstring and jessie the other says 5-6??????? only thing they agreed on was they both have spearing sucker minnows.

• Thanks 1

I was up Tues and Wed seeing family so not fishing. Driving up 38 from rapids there were people out on smaller lakes with snowmobiles and quads. Friend who fishes south of rapids on a few deeper larger lakes said 4 inches of clear ice. So I would imagine the smaller ones are at least 6"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Kettle said:

I was up Tues and Wed seeing family so not fishing. Driving up 38 from rapids there were people out on smaller lakes with snowmobiles and quads. Friend who fishes south of rapids on a few deeper larger lakes said 4 inches of clear ice. So I would imagine the smaller ones are at least 6"

👍 thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats!
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Congrats everyone.
    • Schwarz04
      By Schwarz04
      Hello, new to this forum, was hoping someone out there who has experience ice fishing the St. Croix between Bayport MN and Hudson WI would be able to provide a rough ice report in terms of ice conditions, amount of foot traffic seen, numbers of people. Just looking to get a sense of how safe the ice is out there currently with the potential snow coming up this weekend. Was thinking of making the drive (about an hour) over, but not if its already sketchy.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As the season progresses, anglers are following the walleyes, which in their typical winter pattern, are moving further from shore.  Walleyes and saugers being caught in 30-33 feet.  A mix of different size fish continue to be caught with sorting taking place to find the keepers.  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use a deadstick as your second line.  Normally a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber just off of the bottom will work well.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish as well as how fish are reacting to your presentation.  Some bait shops and resorts will rent units for the day.  Popular lure colors in the stained waters, gold, glow colors, and bright colors like pink.  Some trophy fish (over 28") and slot fish (19.5 - 28") continue to be caught. 
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some nice walleyes with mornings and evenings being best.  As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are three ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  
      Some nice walleyes and saugers being caught up at the Angle with perch, eelpout, pike and tullibees mixed in.  On structure, morning and evenings the best while picking at the fish throughout the day.  If fishing deep mud, better daytime bite. Ripping Raps or jigging spoons with a rattle tipped with a piece of minnow head or tail working well.  Plain hook with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics. 

• IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      As many of you have probably noticed  some  of the frequent posters FM regulars with tips reports pics etc have moved on or rarely log in post anymore.  🙁 I'm still in contact with many of them and we still share the ice together so there all healthy and things are going well. And trust me there's still a pile of fish getting caught among  the group! Sadly I have decided I won't be contributing as much either and will be moving on. In case anyone was wondering why I haven't been active.  It's just been to hard frustrating and time consuming to try and keep things moving forward, Yes I'm still fishing and hunting a bunch just as much as usall and putting plenty of fish topside.  But after thinking things out I  have decided to put my efforts else where. Was a tough decision as I have been here for mega years! Hopefully I have helped some of you out with some of my tips and knowledge,  maybe some of my reports let you become part of my adventures, maybe I gave you a laugh or two! 😀 Just wanted to say Thanks ! To all of you for being a big part of my life for many years. I 've learned alot here shared some laughs  and have made many friends over the years. And trust me I  have learned alot from all of you if not through fishing, through conversations, friendships etc. Hopefully I still run into a few of you out on the lake, if so please come over and say Hi! Hopefully you all keep things rolling as best as you can. Tight lines to everyone 😀
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      My wife just seen in Facebook that a vehicle went through on norway lake by willmar. Said it went through in the area of 189 st?? In about 10 ft of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes and saugers sliding into a bit deeper water with 26-30 feet being where most are fishingl  Good numbers of fish continue to be caught with a lot of sorting the future small fish in the system and choosing just the right ones for a fish fry.  Make some noise!  Jigging with lures with a rattle or vibration has been effective in both catching and attracting fish.  Use your second line, use as a deadstick, a jig or plain hook with a live minnow under a bobber set at 6 inches to a foot off of the bottom.  Electronics are helpful to show fish, how they are reacting to your presentation and when they are suspended.  Popular lure colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and green.  Nice numbers of walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie or sturgeon being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. As ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water, we encourage guests who don't know the river to work through a resort for safety.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle is open.
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road is open!  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix up at the NW Angle.  22-27' has been the goto depth for most anglers.  No surprise, pink and gold have been hot colors, a LOW favorite with the stained waters.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Remi
      By Remi
      I just won a ice castle fish house/rv edition and am wondering if anyone uses their flush toilets in them, and if so where do you dump at?  
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      I have been making trips for the past 16 years, but this last one was our worst ever.  Friend and I were up Thursday to Saturday. We started about 6 miles out on Thursday in 30fow. graphed very few fish, and the ones we did would not bite, we did manage to get one eye 26 1/2 inches and one keeper. So Friday we moved out past 7 miles on the outskirts of most others.  Luck did not change, stay pretty much the same as Thursday, did get one 20 inch eye. There were alot of houses but could not tell if anyone was catching anything. watch a couple of trucks try to cross over a pressure ridge. first one got hung up. the second one took a running start, look like both the truck and house caught air. turned out to be the funniest part of trip. anyone fair any better this past few days?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are being caught this week, but a lot of sorting as lots of small fish in the system  Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 - 31'.  Jigging one line on one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the goto strategy.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish coming through such as walleyes and tullibees.  Popular colors... gold, glow red, glow white, pink and orange.  Lures with a red light stick and rattle baits are also effective.  Some big walleyes over 28 inches caught this week. Walleyes, saugers, jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees, eelpout and even an occasional crappie being caught on Big Traverse Bay.
      On the Rainy River...   Ice fishing on areas of the river continues to produce some walleyes mornings and evenings. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water.  Work through a resort for safety.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road (opening end of week).  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake are open.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air.
      Angle ice fishing continues to be very good with numbers of walleyes being caught.  Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee in the mix this week.  Ice fishing taking place in 20-26'.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.