• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ramp rudeness

Old Dewjabber

Don't understand what the deal is with people. Must be thinking of themselves and no one else. Was at Hok-Si-la on lake Pepin today and people were parking everywhere EXCEPT the parking spaces working on their water crafts.

Sent my lady to get the trailer so we could get out of the lake. A bunch were cleaning and securing their pontoon in the middle of the road so she couldn't back out of the parking space. She finally asked if they could move to a parking space so other could leave to!

She moves, comes around to the U for the ramp and guess what! There is some guys cleaning out some Mississippi River Guide Service boat. Now she is fairly new at backing but she did swing around, then back down the now single double ramp.

When we got out, she asked, if I saw every thing, and what was up with it! Then made the comment to me "Of all people a guide should know better. Bet if we did that when they launched, they would of had a cow."

She a very cool person but was real ticked off about all the empty spaces, but all the people stopped in the way! So I'm posting this at her request!

PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS. Use parking spaces to to get your boat ready so other may use the facilities too!

+1 Don't back down the ramp until ALL your gear is in the boat and you're ready to roll.

Yeah, it was rude to park in your way. Learn to deal with it. I tossed out my "Boat Ramp" anger a few years ago. I just arrive to the landing with patience and wait if necessary. Some folks are in such a hurry these days it just cracks me up.

If busy landings really bother you:

1) Show up to the lake at ODD times. On the St. Croix, if i want my weekend trip to happen. I arrive at the landing Friday 10pm...Plenty of open spots.

2) Load up your boat at ODD times. I.E. Stay on the water a few more minutes past sunset, or load before sunset. Usually a rush during that time frame.

3) Bring an extra beer, open it and wait.

Agreed, maybe there should be signs for the people that don't have common sense. I just laugh to myself at all the rude people at the ramps. Its either that or you're coming into the landing and someone needs to speed by you to beat you to the dock.

patience at the boat ramp is a must as you see all kinds of weird odd stuff...I have learned to sit in the truck and watch or I get out and go over and assist the people with whatever issue they are having...some issue I can help resolve and get them out of my way or sometimes I just say to myself glad I am not having that problem and then wait..

The boats in ur way...well then I would either politely ask them to move or inch up to the point you can't move anymore thensit there until they get the hint!!

If people would just use common sense there would be a lot less angry people at the boat ramp.

Now I know there are fisherman that are slow at the ramp, but most issues I run into is the pleasure boaters. They wait to load coolers, floating toys, passengers, and other stuff until backed up to the ramp rather than while they are waiting in line in the parking lot. The other thing that drives me nuts is if there is a courtesy dock use it! Please don't drop or pick people up at a busy boat dock when their is a courtesy dock for that.

Some have not done it so often so it does take some time to learn. Maybe explaining to them that they could not back down the ramp until the boat is ready to unload.

Now that we have the AIS issues, many including myself will pull out of the ramp and then get out of the truck to drain the livewell, pull the plug, drop the motor and drain it so you are legal on the road. Also have to check for any weeds under the boat by the motor and trailer.

Some landings have plenty of room for this and others are so small one has to do there things close to the ramp. One does not want to go on the road and then do it.

Yes, there are those who just do not care about anyone else and there is simply not much one can do about it.

I try to hit the landings at 6am or earlier and leave right before noon or after lunch. I avoid the busy times at the landings and typically have zero issues.

I have the luxury of fishing during the week so I avoid the weekend hassles at the landings as they are so busy.

I do get a bit upset when someone will pull up to a dock, get out and go to thier truck and then come back say 5-10 minutes later to the boat tied up at the dock while others are waiting. When they do this, I always ask then how they would feel if others did that to them and most just reply, chill out. If they are that dumb to tie up a dock, words of even a kind nature will fall on deaf ears.

Patience is about all one can do and not let it ruin your day as there will always be those at the landing who feel they own it.

Im a kayak'er and Ive had to deal with some total [PoorWordUsage] trying to get onto land. I mean, I just need a sliver of space and all these people that gas it down to turn around, etc....[PoorWordUsage]?

If I die in my kayak it will be at a launch.

cleaning a boat in a parking space isnt the best idea either. On busy ramps that takes up parking slots for trucks/trailers who recently launch their boat.

There are a lot of knuckleheads out there, but not everyone is as smart as the rest of us. :-)

cleaning a boat in a parking space isnt the best idea either. On busy ramps that takes up parking slots for trucks/trailers who recently launch their boat.

There are a lot of knuckleheads out there, but not everyone is as smart as the rest of us. :-)

True! But remember you can't launch with these clowns in the way!

A case of beer, a lawn chair and a metro boat ramp at about noon equals good times and lots of laughs.

A case of beer, a lawn chair and a metro boat ramp at about noon equals good times and lots of laughs.

+1

I don't have a boat, but I need to ask a question. Of the public ramps I've seen (Most in the metro area) have trailer parking spaces and enough room in the lot for driving past the spaces to and from the ramp.

Where are people supposed to clean their boats when the DNR is sitting at the parking lot entrance looking to hand out tickets for transporting invasive species materials?

I don't have a boat, but I need to ask a question. Of the public ramps I've seen (Most in the metro area) have trailer parking spaces and enough room in the lot for driving past the spaces to and from the ramp.

Where are people supposed to clean their boats when the DNR is sitting at the parking lot entrance looking to hand out tickets for transporting invasive species materials?

There is not a right answer for this question. As long as your boat is AIS free before it hits the road.

When it comes to public boat ramps Patience has been thrown out the window.

Leech Lake ten years ago In Fisherman guys roll up and take 1 of 2 spots at ramp and right before the trailer hits the water they started loading up the cameras and all their gear. Blocked the ramp for 5 minutes, I blew up, they blew up, and I then vowed never to let someone else's choices bother me. Go with the flow but when it's your turn in and out in a courteous fast manner.

When it is busy at a ramp, it doesnt matter, you will never be doing things fast enough for the guy behind you. And most ramps suck in the fact that they do not have a small sandy area to beach your boat while you run up to get your vehicle. So then you are left with no choice other than to tie up to the Dick.

Things I wish could change.

1. All ramps should have a 30 foot wide sandy area adjacent to the ramps where you can beech your boat when going to park your truck or when going to get your truck from the parking area.

2. Maybe some of the busiest lakes should have more ramps, or do things to improve the parking situation.

3. Some ramps need another lane paved on the pull out side before the exit to the highway specified for AIS removal. Nothing is more irritating when some jackhole starts yelling and throwing a fit because I am trying to clean up my trailer and doing it in the only spot I can.

4. Power loading, jesus guys, I drive my boat on, but there is no need to run full throttle, if you need that much thrust, back your trailer in another foot (ore thereabouts depending on the ramp).

I know that most of these things cost money, but MN makes millions per year off of fishing and recreational use of lakes. You would sure think they could budget a bit more to make things better.

I don't mind using private ramps occasionally as long as the rates are not ridiculous.

It should take no longer than 3 - 5 minutes to have your boat ready and on the water once you arrive at the landing. Pull straps, insert plug and get life jackets out, launch boat. Coolers and fishing equipment should already be in the boat when you leave your house. Loading should be just as fast although it may take some extra time to remove weeds depending on conditions. Also, there is no need to use your cell phone at the landing. You can text your buddy, call your wife, order a pizza, and post your fishing trip on here while you are on the water or after you get home. Last but not least - If you always have problems backing your trailer down a ramp, take your rig to an empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. It will do you and everybody else a big favor.

Not sure what the problem is if you tie your boat to the dock - if its on the side opposite where trailers back in? What else are you supposed to do if you're by yourself??

It should take no longer than 3 - 5 minutes to have your boat ready and on the water once you arrive at the landing. Pull straps, insert plug and get life jackets out, launch boat. Coolers and fishing equipment should already be in the boat when you leave your house. Loading should be just as fast although it may take some extra time to remove weeds depending on conditions. Also, there is no need to use your cell phone at the landing. You can text your buddy, call your wife, order a pizza, and post your fishing trip on here while you are on the water or after you get home. Last but not least - If you always have problems backing your trailer down a ramp, take your rig to an empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. It will do you and everybody else a big favor.

I would normally agree, 3 to 5 might be pushing it, even for someone who has alot of experience. I would say 10 minutes is normal.

Pull in, remove straps, plug in, put in remainder of equipment (which for me is anything that will fly out, and attaching depth finder to mount) Walk down to the ramp, visually look for anything out of the ordinary, such as the ramp is short and might drop axle off the end, or any other safety factors.

Go back to vehicle, back it up and in, disconnect from trailer, secure boat, drive up to parking area, leave vehicle, go back to boat and safely depart.

Now that I think about it, if you took a stopwatch with you, it wouldn't surprise me if these events take up to 15 minutes.

Safety should be #1 here not speed.

Can't tell you how many times I have seen or heard of guys with roller trailers backing down without their boat secured, and wound up with the whole rig on the ramp and not in the water.

Now if someone needs 15 minutes to just back the trailer in, then yes, they need to go get practice.

Can't count how many times I've seen people waiting in line moaning and female dogging about how slow someone is getting their boat loaded up... of course they never offer a hand... if I'm in line and you are at the launch, especially if you are by yourself, I'm down there giving a hand. A few weeks ago I was nuts deep helping an old timer get his boat aligned on the trailer while some guys were peeing vinegar at the top of the launch.

I'm confused who are the rude ones at the launch? The guy that took a bit longer than somebody else wanted or the guy having a temper tantrum that it is taking too long.

Fishing, running the boat, the whole she-bang is my relaxation and for my mental health. Not gonna pop any veins in my forehead over a few minutes of delay. I've got 40+ hours a week to get stressed out.

That said, I pulled into the launch the other day and there was a truck sitting down there unoccupied with the trailer in the water. Pretty normal if you are launching by yourself and swinging the boat around to park it on shore. So I pop off the straps and put the plug in, etc etc and the truck is just sitting there... Fortunately it was a double launch. So I back in, pull the boat off, come back to shore, hop in the truck, and park it. Hop back in the boat and I'm putzing around within a few hundred yards of the launch waiting for my buddy to show up. Truck is still sitting there unoccupied. About 30 minutes later this yahoo comes around the bend on the river and loads his boat back up. Not sure how long he was out on the river, but there was at least 30 minutes his unoccupied truck and trailer just sat there half in the water at the launch. It's a double launch and never busy, but still... who would ever think that's OK? I kept thinking maybe he launched and had immediate motor trouble and ended up floating downstream... I dunno. Pretty lame stuff though.

Might have said "Your rig was on the ramp so long, I was just coming to look for you. Every thing alright?" whistle 'Course he probably wouldn't grasp the sarcasm.' crazy

Not sure what the problem is if you tie your boat to the dock - if its on the side opposite where trailers back in? What else are you supposed to do if you're by yourself??

Good question.

Up here in the North many of the lakes I fish aren't that busy and have minimal parking, if any. The ramps aren't all that developed either. One thing that has bugged me since I've lived in this area is that many people will arrive at the lake and then park their vehicle just off to the left or right of the ramp approach, in other words, right on the ramp. Then anyone arriving later has to maneuver down a very narrow lane with little room for error to avoid the their rig or the trees on the other side of the ramp. Also, most of the approaches to the ramps are off of roads and usually require you to use both lanes to back in to the ramp. This causes a real safety hazard because some of the people traveling these country roads are driving very fast.

If these people would just pull off the ramp and park on the side of the road like everyone else it would make things a lot easier for those of us who shows up later in the day.

One more comment. I frequently fish by myself and I cannot recall a time when I pulled up to ramp when someone was there and they didn't offer to help.