• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BigDogRob

1st open water trip to URL this weekend

BigDogRob

Is there anything that I should think of before I head up that I might forget? We'll have the basics, just thinking if there has beenanything that has made any of your trips easier/better?

bturck

A prayer for good weather and a safe trip, and oh ya a big enough cooler to bring home your good catch. smile. Hope you have a great time, post ur results when you get back

BigDogRob

Yeah, have a cooler designated for our hopefully good catch! Forecast says 50% cloudy day 72 degrees and a south wind about 7mph... Sounds like if it holds true it will be a perfect trip... I guess just getting to spend time fishing/with family is well worth going up! Thanks Bill,

I will report how I do...Maybe even try to update a couple live results while up there depending on the reception with the phone.

bturck

Bigdogob, hope your pounding some fish and keeping the rain gear close by. Looks better for the next few days.

BigDogRob

Oops, forgot to mention leaving early saturday morning...

BigDogRob

Well, we were up and ready to go at 4am Saturday and got on the lake about 8:00in the morning. After grabbing throttle we headed east out of Mort's Dock... tried trolling with some spinners as far as Roger's, and never seen a fish. Continued east tried trolling and had a couple hits, but still no fish...we then decided to reel in and shoot to the SE corner and try our luck. There were already 3 or 4 boats there, so we gave a bit of distance to try and be nice and not crowd anyone... we switched back and forth between shiners and leeches and jigs and spinners and a couple cranks...I know we caught fish trying each set-up, but it wasn't fast or furious. We never caught anything other than walleyes even though some others said they had. We did go home with 2 limits of walleyes and we threw back fish... I think the biggest we caught was 19.75" it got kind of hectic when we anchored up for lunch as I caught 3 fish while trying to eat a sandwich... we caught fish anchored and trolling all while the other 30+ boats were catching fish also around us... It was another fun trip up to URL. We did have a few break-offs that I wish we could of got a glimpse of! We caught our fish in 5'-9' of water. In a couple hrs we will be eating some of the beauties we caught yesterday. The weather was great for us up there, glad the rain and wind were cooperative with us...it was definitely different than the -15 with 40mph wind when up over the winter.

bturck

Sounds like the fish gods were on your side. Glad to hear you had a good time, now time to start planning for the return trip. Thanks for the post

BigDogRob

Oh we are definitely going back! Have some things to finish up on the boat first. It may not be until August or September since we are going to be heading to Canada in July for about a week. We will then take the campers up, and make it a little mini-vacation. The fish gods were definitely on our side, and more on mine than my fishing partner, but we both managed to catch fish so it turned out good. Bill, you planning on heading up there?

bturck

Bigdogrob: we have a cabin in east central Minnesota that we are are at 26-27 weekends a year so we spend our time there.being retired we are pretty flexible as to how long we stay on each trip so I don't get north anymore for open water. We make several trips in the winter though through Waskish Minnow station. It's always fun to read reports like yours though where fish were caught and fun was had by all. That's the one good thing about getting older, the memory inventory builds up pretty good grin hope you have a great trip to Canada