• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scheels Rod Warranty

JeffB

Question

I've been using Scheels guide series rods for a number of years and have accumulated about 5 of them. I was impressed by the rod and the "no questions asked" warranty as explained by the sales person. One of my guide series rods broke so I took it in. Thought I would get a new equivalent rod on the spot. He said it looks like you got your use out of this rod and walked me down to the cheapest scheels rod made. The rod didn't even have a cork handle and was IM6 instead of IM7 and had cheap guides. I explained the differences and said it was a guide series rod and that I wasn't impressed with the warranty. I get it if the guide series has went up in price and has nano-technology now, but out of their 5 grades of fishing rods how about one in the middle. After getting a little POed and stating if the rod I left with didn't at least have a cork handle it would be a long time till I was back in the store he let me go with the second cheapest scheels rod on the shelf. At least no snoopy stickers but I wasn't impressed with the warranty.

13 answers to this question

He has a legit gripe. When I purchased sheels rods/reels I was told by the store manager that the warantee on these rods/reels was for the life of the original owner, and that all sheels store brand item carried the same warantee. Had I known that just a few years down the road that the corp would back out of their end of the deal I would just have spent my cash on more St. Croix or Loomis models instead of on a store brand. I know that every time I broke a rod and had to return it the store was coming out of pockett for it, but they should either honor their warantee or quit offering it imo.

Agree with Rick. If the store warranty is no good I would just buy Loomis or st Croix. I have several gander rods and several more scheels rods. Only had issues with the gander ones and they were replaced no questions asked many years after purchase.

It seems the quality is going down and the warranty but which way is the price going?

Yeah, on reflection you guys are right.

My too-quick smard azzed reply was probably based on my total dislike of the "lifetime guarantee" silliness. I was in the tackle business when the smart guys at Orvis came up with this idea. It was greeted within the industry by total dismay. I hope nobody really believes they are getting a FREE lifetime warranty. The prices of rods began to SOAR when this policy took hold. Guess why? The breakage rate overall is low....but you can triple your price: sell a thousand rods and take back eight that break. But with the wildly increased price you are making more money. Then toss in the China factor: you're buying even lower and jumping your retail price. Wow....it's like having a license to print money!!

Now I realize we are never going back, the the silliness of the entire concept still annoys me. Think about it for a moment-you pay $250 for a rod and then break it in a car door and expect the maker or seller to replace it FREE. The rod was not at fault-you were. But the seller gives you another rod anyway, when you both know how it was broken. And you paid $250 retail for a rod that probably cost $25 to make.

But....alas you can't fight these old battles. LOL

It may seem like I was a little quick to complain about the incident. It didn't help that after the sales person tried to make me feel like an unreasonable cheap azz. I go down to find the rest of the family eating over priced ice cream and hand me three shoe boxes, socks and several pairs of sweat pants. Wife suggests I go pay for the stuff and come back in to look at the bikes as one of the kids has out grown theirs. Needless to say with my bad mood I was the bad guy on the way home for not buying a bike. I still like the store, but man the place is a sink hole for disposable money for a family that hunts, fishes, and the kids all play sports.

It definitely didn't seem quick to complain on this end. If they are going to use the lifetime warranty on the front end of the sale as a benefit, then they have to honor it on the back end. I have no doubt at all that the lifetime warranty was built into the price you paid, which means to me that in no way were you looking for something other than what you paid for. Also, getting a lesser rod would be completely unacceptable if it were me. I'd probably give the store manager a call.

Sounds like you better bypass the college aged salesman and get some heavy hitters involved. They resell the "warranty" rods that have been repaired so shouldn't be an issue.

I do a lot of shopping at Scheels and really like the store, but as with any retailer you can get someone that doesnt really have the experience or consideration for the customer in cases like this. There are some real good folks working there and I believe if you pressed hard enough like involving a store manager or something (understood time probably wasnt on your side) that the outcome may be different.

To be fair to Scheels I just received this E-mail from them.

I first want to apologize for the service you received. It is certainly not how we teach our salespeople to take care of customers, and I am sincerely sorry.

And although the styles of the rods may change from year to year, you certainly should have been given the opportunity to choose a rod that would sell for the same price as the guide rod you purchased. That said, when would you like to exchange the rod for a rod comparable in price to the guide you had? If I'm here I'll try to be available to help you myself. I'm off this weekend and Monday but then here the next 6 days. I want to be sure you're happy with the rod exchange.

Finally, can you remember the day and time that you were in the store the first time? I'd really like to find out who was working in the fishing shop that day and follow up with all of those people who may have helped you. I want to be sure they don't handle another situation like this again. And they obviously need to be retrained on graphites and handle styles as well judging by your situation.

If you'd like to talk give me a call anytime, I'll be happy to help. I only send e-mails when I've received them first, that's why I took this route.

If you're heading out fishing this weekend don't forget the rainwear!

Sincerely,

Kyle Egenes

Fargo Scheels

Assistant Manager

PH: 701-298-2918

Fax: 701-298-0706

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have only had one Scheels rod break and they were out of the length/action when I returned it. The salesman went to the next level up and grabbed me the same length/action rod I wanted with out my saying a word and say, "Here you go" with no extra charge.

Good to hear that the manager got back to you and wants to make it right and correct the situation in his store.

I must say I have always found the Sheels stores good places to shop and have always been pleased with the customer service. Seems like a nice operation.

But I wish the Fargo store would take my airplane down from the ceiling and return it.

I KNOW where they're hiding it. Ho Ho Ho!

I have several scheels rods and when I damage one I have not had any problems with exchanging them . I love there service!

Was this at the Fargo Scheels? If so, that really surprises me. I went into the Fargo Scheels last Thursday (5/30) with a broken Scheels brand rod and had a VERRYY different experience from you.

I walked up to the fishing department with a 7'2" Tournament Casting Rod with about 3" broken off the tip, not even to the second guide. I talked to a salesman who looked like he was in his early 20s (for the negative "college aged kid" remark) and he brought me to the Scheels Tournament rod rack and grabbed the identical rod. I told him I got the rod last spring for $40 on sale, but the sticker said $99.99 and he simply said I guess it's your lucky day. I didn't like the rod so I asked if I could upgrade. He said grab any rod you want, any brand and any style, as long as it's over $100 and he'll give me $100 credit towards it. So I grabbed a St. Croix Avid Spinning rod I've had my eye on and walked down to customer service and paid $80 for it.

Couldn't be happier with the CS I received and that's why I continue to shop at Scheels.