• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Avian predation on upland birds

TylerS

I've heard people talk about the impact of avian predators on upland birds before. Usually, I've brushed it off with the same regard I hear from folks who wail on and on about coyotes on the deer herd. Not that what they say is false, but likely blown out of proportion. Do I believe coyotes kill deer? Yes. Do I believe coyotes kill so many deer that they'll wipe out an entire herd? No, despite what some folks lead us to believe.

Similarly, I've heard tales regarding the devastation caused by hawks and falcons on upland game birds (pheasants, grouse, and partridge). Do I believe the former kills the latter? Absolutely. Do I think they can decimate a population of pheasants? No.

Or, at least, I didn't up until Sunday.

Now what I have to say is anecdotal evidence based on one CRP field in eastern North Dakota. What this has to say about avian predation in general likely is irrelevant. However, I do believe it is indicative of the drastic changes to habitat we are, and will continue to experience, as CRP and native grasslands disappear. The more habitat that gets plowed up, the more critters get forced into what areas remain: predator and prey. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens next.

Case in point: a small PLOTS area west of Lisbon. I'd marked it on my GPS, but never hunted it. The wife and I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and (finally) melting snow to run the dogs. Remy, my almost three-year-old GWP, is gearing up for the NAVHDA Invitational this fall. Blitz, my seven-month-old GWP pup, has never been on a wild bird.

This little section of grass is typical of what you'll find in eastern North Dakota these days. On the south side of the road is a 1/2-mile section of CRP bordered on two sides by shelter belts. On the north side is a 1/2-mile by 1-mile section of CRP, intermixed with a couple ponds, cattails, and some more tree rows. It all looks like an oasis, which is exactly what it is. An oasis of habitat in the middle of miles upon miles of plowed fields and farmland.

My first thought was "Wow, what a great place for pheasants." I quickly discovered what I'd perceived as ample cover, was in actuality, a deathtrap.

On the very first corner of the CRP, Remy got birdy. This was 20 yards from the truck, and I wasn't prepared for anything. He points then, being a little bastage, pounced. Up pops a hen. She took off pretty well, and I thought nothing of it. Not 10 yards behind Remy in a brushpile, Blitz was on his own bird. Another hen got up, but this one seemd a little shaky. Sort of got caught up in the branches, then sailed slowly across the CRP to the other end.

"Huh, strange," I thought, but brushed it off and continued on.

Halfway through the field, Blitz points his first wild bird. I can see his little body staunch on an uprise, tail stiff as a flag pole, gaze intense. I walked up and he ramained solid, Just as I crossed his path, he broke and dove into a small pile of grass. The race was on. Another hen, this one visibly wounded with missing feathers and a limp, barely cleared little Blitz's maw and took off, haphazardly, into some cattails.

This chain of events continued no less than four more times. Hen after hen was pointed and flushed, only to discover they were injured in some form or another. All around the CRP was evidence of attacks. Feathers here, skin there. The last straw (and probably Exhibit A for avian predation) was a hen Remy pointed in a piece of cattails. I walked ahead to flush it, and it took a half-hearted leap, before falling right back down. Remy broke and was on it in a flash. He's not hard on birds, so I gingerly plucked the pathetic creature from his mouth and looked it over.

It died in my arms. It's back leg had a deep puncture wound, and the entire back half of its back was devoid of feathers. Bits of skin hung off like tattered rags, and I could see working muscle underneath.

I took it back to the tailgate for an autopsy, and what I saw was incredible. I'd seen similar wounds after hunting trips, when a pheasant got blasted a bit too close to the barrel. It's entire breast was sliced from stem to stern. It had severe internal bleeding, and the one leg that wasn't puncture, actually was broken. It was plain to see how the talons of a hawk work so surgically. I still can't believe it was alive at all.

So of the seven pheasants we put up that day, two seemed healthy. One wound up dead, and the other four looked like they were on death's door. We also found at least three piles of feathers/bones. All in a 1/2-mile square section of CRP.

Take it for what you will, but I was absolutely shocked (and disheartened) to witness that.

But I don't blame the hawks. They're just doing what they do. A coyote can't be blamed for killing a deer, and a fox can't be blamed for raiding a nest. They are what they are, predators. And when we set up a banquet of wild game by forcing whatever is left into tiny island of covers, we can't blame the predators for taking full advantage.

If we continue down this slippery slope, it's only going to get worse. I just hope whatever pheasants remain have a good hatch, and by the time the chicks are grown, there's a bit of grass to keep them safe, somewhere.

Tyler, I'm with you, I noticed a boatload of hawks etc. when I was out in ND snow goose hunting, they were very thick and the kicker is like you said wherever there was a patch of grass left, the pheasants were in it and the hawks were watching it, no doubt the lack of CRP puts everything into less acres, predators included, this will also add more ground predators into what's left of the crp and I noticed a lot of tree lines/wind breaks etc. being sawed down and burned. I was in the Oakes/Ellendale and north of those 2 towns, didn't see a lot of grass but when I did it was where the pheasants/hawks were. Really unfortunate.

Exactly.

As you said, all predators will take advantage of the conditions. This alone is reason for concerns, but there's more.

Fox, arguable one of the biggest nest predators in the prairie, are making a comeback. I've seen more fox the past couple of years in North Dakota than I have in the past decade. Fox do more damage to grassland nesting birds (read: pheasants, sharptail, mallards, pintail, etc.) than any other candid. In fact, coyotes benefit these critters, because they will compete and kill fox that wander into their territory.

On top of fox and hawks/falcons are skunks, which cycle much like ruffed grouse. Skunks are at the top of their peak now, and a wildlife biologist I recently spoke with said he believes there are more skunks now than there has ever been. Skunks are hardcore egg eaters, and do a number on bird nests.

Do the math folks, it's not tough.

I concur, we saw way too many skunks and sure Spring's there is a lot of hawks etc. but with the lack of cover, all predators are zeroing in on where the best place to catch a meal is. Once birds nest, many more than what used to be the norm will be gobbled up. When everything gets plowed/disced for planting, those patches will be gone through quite heavily, I certainly see the value in CRP lands and not only for wildlife. I can foresee much heavier hunting pressure on parcels as CRP gets plowed under.

Tyler, as always, I really appreciate your keen eye to the field, and the wonderful way you articulate your thoughts in writing.

I've been more worried about Avian predators in Nodak then any other predator for many years. I've seen too many warm Sept afternoons where there are literally dozens of hawks drifting and circling in the air above a section of CRP. They're numbers have climbed and climbed over the last 20 years, completely protected by Federal/State law, sitting atop the food chain with no natural challenge to their population growth. They've got to have a huge impact on upland game birds, as well as waterfowl.

Owls have also been a huge factor across the Dakotas over the last handful of years. With all the abandoned farms, little groves of trees and shelter belts, they have the ideal living conditions for food and shelter. Like you say, the upland birds have to go somewhere with ever dwindling cover, and often, on the prairie, the Avian predators are living in the trees just above them.

I once sat watching a wetland in central Nodak where a Great Horned Owl perched itself in a man-made duck nesting structure. The duck nest/perch was a perfect vantage point for the owl to locate ducklings in the water, launch and glide silently in to pluck the ducklings from the water, and gracefully return to the duck nesting structure to enjoy it's succulent meal.

Also had a great little honey hole up the road a ways in an old abandoned farmstead surrounded by Evergreens, prairie trees and thick brush. Could always count on finding a few roosters, or even a group of sharpies in there on any given day. That was until another Great Horned Owl moved in. Now when you walk thru there it's nothing but carnage. Pheasant and grouse feathers everywhere, and bird bones strewn around the grass all over.

I agree, these critters are all just doing what they do. It's the natural way of things, and it all seems to balance out eventually. But I really mirror your concern. We've created huge mono-cultures, with little strips of natural cover in between vast stretches of nothing. Man has created the perfect storm for Avian and ground-based predators alike. And now that small grain commodity prices are off the charts, any border-line farmable acreage is being put back into production, leaving little or no habitat for wildlife remaining.

Many would likely disagree, but considering the circumstances, if we can justify thinning a flock of cormorants on Leech Lake in order to resurrect a population of fish, or "thin" the number of Timber Wolves in northern MN, why couldn't we do this same thing, to a limited extent, with our "protected" Avian predators? Take out a few thousand hawks and owls in Nodak and I'd all but guarantee we'd see upland bird numbers spike dramatically.

Just a little food for thought. Thanks for bringing this up Tyler. I couldn't agree more. It's an issue that very few people recognize.

Never thought twice about this until last year. I have a spot that I have hunted for years and has always produced well. Usually put up at least 10 birds through it. Last year we flushed 15 hawks and no pheasants. I think they literally made them extinct on this piece of land. Its too bad. Not too many good spots here in Blue Earth county.

CS, you're on my wavelength. I've often wondered what act it would take to have a "culling" season in North Dakota. The hurdles would be tough to manage, however:

1) Species specific targets. Let's face it, most folks don't know the difference between a red-tailed hawk or an immature bald eagle. I can just imagine the public outcry and backlash when the first symbol of our nation gets dusted on some prairie background by an overzealous upland hunter.

2) Science to back the theory, which is the main reason wolf hunting was ever allowed. It may be out there, but I honestly haven't heard a number or percentage that equates the amount of damage the raptors we have on the landscape today do on upland nesting birds. It seems like most studies focus on varmints (skunks, raccoons, coyotes, fox, badgers, etc.).

One other thought that people should consider (hobby farmers know this all too well): falcons, hawks and owls don't just kill for food. They actually enjoy it. There was a red-tailed hawk that harassed my buddy's farm ducks for an entire month one summer. Killed dozens of birds by slicing off their heads. The only thing it would eat was the eyes. Left the entire carcass there to rot in the sun. I can't help but feel the wounded pheasants I found in North Dakota weren't somehow molested in the same way. Undoubtedly, if the hawk or owl or whatever had actually wanted to eat the pheasant it launched itself at, it would never have let go. Instead, I found nearly a half dozen wounded birds that somehow managed to get clipped but escape with their lives (but barely). Once or twice I can see, but six times? Either this is a very juvenile bird that is practicing its craft, or it's a sadist that enjoys "playing with its food," so to speak.

Makes you wonder...

All those redtails you see in the fall? Most are juvenile birds and most of the juvenile birds are dead by spring.

Redtail hawks have a 80% mortality rate their first year of life.

Redtail hawks while being one of the more visible birds of prey in ND, tend to eat more mammles than birds. Owls seem to be more effective upland bird killers.

If there is an increase in the kill rate of pheasants by avian predators, blame the lack of grass.

Many pheasants that remain are living in areas where they are more exposed.

A healthy pheasant population in healthy habitat can accomodate losses to both avian and mammal predators without being adversely impacted for the fall hunting season. Thos same hawks, owls and fox were there in the late 80s, 90s, 00s too.

Hens right now have to be entering the nesting season underweight - their ability to pull off large and successful nests must become questionable.

If June is does not get warm and dry ... we will all(hunters, fox, hawks and owls) will see less birds next fall.

everybody has got to eat.

I really don't see an open season on any sort of birds of prey any time soon. And their probably shouldn't ever be, regardless of your pheasant hunting success.

everybody has got to eat.

I really don't see an open season on any sort of birds of prey any time soon. And their probably shouldn't ever be, regardless of your pheasant hunting success.

I agree. I strongly doubt there would ever be a season, or even a sanctioned cull for that matter, on birds of prey. But if the science pointed to an overabundance and it was decided by wildlife manager to thing the flock, I wouldn't argue. I'd rather let research and science to the talking than armchair biology.

So why not? Why is it that certain animals can be managed, but others cannot? What makes birds of prey better than other birds. Sharptails in MN are in dire straights. So if it was scientifically proven that birds of prey were the problem (I think habitat plays into it more, but lets just go with it for now!), would it then be okay to manage hawks and owls?

What makes birds of prey better than other birds.

Federal protection is one thing.

Public opinion is another.

Wildlife management isn't always about increasing hunting success. Even if there was some sort of culling, Joe Bologna won't ever have the chance to drop a hawk.

bobby,

I am not advocating anyone breaking the law. My point is simply that all animals from time to time need management in todays world. No species should be allowed to get to the point that it seriously affects another. I am not talking about wishing there were a few more roosters to shoot in the fall, but more drastic situations (ie sharptail decline, moose decline, etc). Oh yeah, moose decline. I am thinking that nobody has studied the affects of red tail hawks on the moose population....

I'm not advocating anything. Just saying how reality rolls.

Well nature has an uncanny way of equalizing itself naturally if left alone. If the hawks, etc get to abundant then they overeat their food and will likely die off from starvation. They are pretty opportunistic and will feed on pretty much anything that lives, but once they knock down pheasants and there are few to eat, they will move to something else. If there is nothing else they will leave the area or die.

No doubt about it. About the time we decide to open up a season on birds of prey, we could possibly see an explosion in the population of rodents and varmints such as voles, striped gophers, bunnies, skunks, etc., leading to an increase in the number of fox which along with the skunks quickly leads us back to increased pheasant predation. Pheasants as much as I enjoy them are still the losers. I'm afraid trying to manage birds of prey would be like patching a tire after you've run over a section of spike-tooth drag. It still comes back to habitat, habitat, habitat. BTW, anyone want to help me plant trees (plums, cranberry and Siberian crabs) quick tonight before it rains? smile

\ It still comes back to habitat, habitat, habitat.

Yep. Habitat.

Spring/summer nesting weather and winter severity for added flavor.

I agree, it really is all about habitat, but that in itself has become a large part of the problem in the last couple years, as previously mentioned.

With ag prices dominating the horizon right now, and long-term CRP acreage contracts coming out left and right, farmers are putting every stitch of land available back into production. And I don't really blame them.

But this most definitely leans in the favor of predators for efficient prey hunting opportunities.

It would be nice to see some research, or data of some kind to reflect the impact. I don't presume to know what to do, or how to approach the issue, I'd just like to see something done.

By the way Cody, Sharptails might be in trouble in "parts" of Minnesota, but we've got em' thick up here in the NW region of the state. They're literally everywhere. I suspect this too is a reflection of appropriate habitat. If you're really interested in getting into some Sharptails send me a PM this fall and I'd be happy to take you on a sharpie hunt.