• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Now that we have melting temperatures both during the day and at night in the forecast, do you think 30" of ice can be melted in 3 weeks?

I am optimistic it will be off by the season opener 18 days away. I could be wrong but the sun is so powerful right now. This weekends expected warm temps will do some significant damage or at least get the ball rolling in the soft water direction. That being said, I am hoping for one or two more cracks at tullibees and am not sure if I'll even go out for this years opener. May opt to get other stuff done and hit it hard once the fish warm up. smirk

South of Hwy 10 the ice is getting rotten fast: In two weeks I know we have lost 10" of ice, and yesterday the two lakes I checked were like drilling through a snowcone the whole way down. I really believe the lakes will be open. North of Hwy 10 there will be some of the smaller lakes open, but I was on a lake yesterday that still had 28" of good ice. Strange that only 15 miles can make that much of a difference.

Very few people are on the lakes right now to really see how rotten the ice is getting.

Most lakes in the area will be fishable I think. I'm gonna say May 3rd for Detroit Lake!!!

A buddy of mine was on Pelican fishing for tullabies this past weekend. he measured 30" plus of good solid ice. I like your optimism Brian!

That is a handy link, DoubleA. Thanks!

I travel to Fairmont in southern MN every week and they've had iceout there for about two weeks now. I had the four-wheeler on Silver this last weekend, though...

I hope it goes quick. There's still a lot of work to do with it not even pulling away from shore yet.

Friend went crappie fishing last night, took the entire auger yet, but here comes the melt, it will in my view be key to have a melt going 24/7, overnight lows above freezing, wind, sun, etc. 16 days away........idk.

I just got off the phone with my old man. He walked out in front of the house last night and said there's 30" of ice. Of which he figured 24" of "good" ice was there. My folks live out on Cotton. 14 days, hope for wind and rain!

Went out on South Lida today. The edge of the lake was rock solid, and I didn't measure but I drilled through about 7 inches of mushy ice and 20" of solid ice.

Fished yesterday all day, and the ice deteriorated throughout the day, it's still fishable though. The south shoreline was awesome going on, but pretty nasty coming off. The suns angle in the sky will play a big role in getting rid of the ice in a hurry.

any access's look like they will have open water by this next weekend? I am itching float my new boat and make sure everything is working properly.

Slick2526 - The access just north of Pelican Rapids on th 59. Praire Lake I think, should be open enough to try out your new boat. With the river there it is open pretty much year round. I can't think of any else around here that will be ready by this weekend.

Slick - Paceman's right on. There will be a fair amount of OW right by the access on Prairie just outside of Pelican Rapids on 59, if there isn't already.

Drove in circles for 3 hours in 150 yards of open water breaking in a motor there once. Got kinda seasick. wink

RK is very correct: Prairie is open a solid 150 yards on the south end and it's open even further on the north end: I would guess the two sides will meet with open water by this next weekend. The ice is going very quickly from what I am seeing. Good ice a few days ago is already getting bad, quick.

South side of Big Detroit has 34 inches of solid good ice!!!!!!! Gonna be a long time to melt that...

can you get on by the access on the south end---- while you were there did you drill any holes so I don't have to drag my auger along whistle

South side of Big Detroit has 34 inches of solid good ice!!!!!!! Gonna be a long time to melt that...

When did you find that??? I was out on Monday and the ice had turned to mush, I had about 26" Of ice and of it I would say 16" were "good ice".

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'm curious where you were. 34" of solid Ice and you could drive a truck out there. I was on the south side of deadshot, but I can't imagine it vary's that much:

can you get on by the access on the south end---- while you were there did you drill any holes so I don't have to drag my auger along whistle

Yeah you can drive on if you want. Holes are not in good spots. You can watch it on WDAY at 6 or 10 tonight...

Drove around checking smaller lakes in the Hawley/Hitterdal area today. Saw dead fish in some of the smaller ponds and most of the lakes are pretty ice covered. Ice looked pretty dark though. Ice was pulling away from most shorelines. Lots of pelicans cruising the shallows bewteeen shore and out about 30 feet. I think opener this year will be pretty fruitless even if the ice goes in the next 7 days.

Ice fished on a bigger lake east of DL yesterday. Still 20+ inches of ice..

I too found lots of ice in the middle of the lakes today, my optimism is fading....north of HWY 10 I say almost no chance at open water....south is going to be spotty....there was a lot of ice out there today.

Ice was a lot worst tonight then last night. Rain helped a lot. Fish are biting...

I was down to my folks and went out on Cotton yesterday. The ice is not pulling away from shore yet. I went through the refuge on my way back and all the lakes were pretty white. The ice was pulling away on Tamarac but that was about it. We need rain, sun, warm and wind this week!

On another note, it's quite amazing how dry it is. The small ponds did not get recharged at all this winter.

Agreed. It was so dry all last summer/fall that it has soaked in, that is why there was little to no frost, not enough moisture last fall to freeze. It is going to take some serious rain this spring/summer to recharge and bring lake levels up. Was out checking rivers in area and they are not near as high as I had hoped and not running that strong compared to what I thought they'd be.

full-1946-32797-001.jpg

full-1946-32801-005.jpg

Helped my brother with some projects at his restaurant and took the scenic route home to scout the lakes. Star, Lida and Pelican. None of them look close. I have my doubts.