• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

twins

knoppers

Joe Mauer is garbage.

Have you seen how Joe is hitting now and what his average is? Probably will hit close to or maybe over the .300 mark for the season. Look at the amount of doubles also and the clutch hits even with his slower start.

Garbage is laughable. still LOL.

I never thought they would be close to .500 at this point of the season with the teams and games they have played.

If they can end up close to .500 this year, then it was a great rebuilding season.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Musky Buck

• greebs

• mrklean

• harvey lee

Terry Ryan and Gardy both said, they will not be satisfied

with a .500 season. They want and expect more.

That last sentence sums up my twins feelings. I want and expect more. If our MVP's can play to their ability and it seems to be gaining steam, if our unknown pitching staff can surprise, if the youth can remain hungry and not get defeated more so by themselves than anything else, I kinda like what I see and our future looks ok, we haven't been great and we're near .500, I like it and yes Mauer was really into the weekend games I finally got to watch, he was for Joe really fired up, Morneau is still taking nice hacks, Arcia guy has a patented homerun cut, sure there will games slipping away that shouldn't like Friday night but I saw enough to know the guys are really into it this year and that's huge because by the end of the season we will really get a good look at this group and how well they mesh and how it may look for 2014, I like what I see a lot, took 44 days of the season but I see signs of life that weren't there in April, I'm way optimistic. Mauer really impressed me this weekend, his swing was so squeaky quiet, his fire was going some, smile +

The Twins have been playiong better than I thought they would. I know it's a long season but they are playing pretty well.

The future does look brighter.

Nice to see Hicks have the game he had last night. He has had a tough start and maybe that will be the spark he needs to pick up on his game.

Mauer, what can you say.

My faith in them Harvey has skyrocketed really since all my anti-April talk, we seemed so idk early. I like what I'm seeing, I like the mix we have. I like the we won't quit attitude. Seeing the guys pulling even more for one another. I hope they stay relatively healthy, seems like we're coming together as a team. I got tired of hearing "re-building". Think Mauer, Morneau, Hammer, Doumit want any part of rebuilding, I hope they don't. That's 4 guys we can win with. I think rebuilding the pitching staff yes. But what if they surprise a little ? Daduno, Worley, Correia, Pelfrey, Diamond decent pen with does he hardly get a chance but Perkins ending it, I'm a who's the old Jets coach, KC Chiefs I think, black guy, on ESPN, NFL, " You play to win the game ". Sure we have rookies and guys we're not quite sure of yet but I think we're a little better than most believe so lets go at it hard all year and see where the pieces fall by the end of the year, I think we're fairly solid. Man, Hicks is just a pure athlete, hope he gets to bat right handed a lot, I like that we've allowed him a long leash he's such an athlete I have no worries about him other than adjusting to the big show, he's going to be a top jersey seller some day here in MN smile

If the Twins could have 2 better than average starters added to thier staff, we could be in 1st in our division.

They are hitting well and not making too many errors.

Tough loss today and sad to lose the series to Chicago 2-1.

Man Harvey, we're too inconsistent and don't seem to have an identity. Watched the sports highlights last night and 1 minute Mauer is K'ing 3x and the next clip after him is 2 million less a year Miguel Cabrera going yard 3 times. Best be wearing your Morneau jerseys/shirts hard this year, kinda think we haven't been in any talks with him or his agent so enjoy his last season here though he may take less deal to stay, he likes his house my brother-in-law built him. We're way to up and down and our MVP's certainly aren't playing at a high level. Willingham looking bad, needed near career years from these guys to even be in the mix, can't wait to get some looks at some of the minor league guys later this season.

Count me as one who doesnt see this team being over .500. Everybody says we will have a good offense...based on WHAT? Mauer is the only bat you can count on to have a good year. I really like Mourneau, but he just isnt the same since the concussion. Dozier and Florimon are NOT established major leaguers and on a good team are still in AAA. Plouffe is NOT established either. He hit some bombs last year....nothing else in any stat line will suggest he belongs in the majors. Not what you want out of your 3B. Willingham had a career year and is kinda old. he will regress to his career averages. Hicks may very well be a great ballplayer. I like him. But until he starts hitting above the National League pitcher averages, you cant say he is a help to the offense. Parmalee is also not an established major leaguer. Maybe he will, maybe he wont, but you cant count on him like you would have counted on a Kubel or Cuddyer. Doumit will be solid, but not spectacular. An average Major Leaguer. So we have Mauer above average, Mourneau, Willingham and Doumit around average and 5 guys out of 9 who are huge question marks that are performing below what an average guy at his position should perform at. Through the first 25% of the season, you cannot say that any of the 5 will be in the major leagues August 1. I just laugh when I hear the Twins brass say that our offense will be good like they have a stable of veterans who are solid players. We have anything but that right now in 5 out of our 9 spots.

The pitching staff? 2 guys who dont deserve to be starting (Worley and Pelfrey), 1 guy who is still relatively unknown in Diamond (1 year does not a MLB career make), 1 guy in Correia who is pitching above his career averages and will likely return to them and a bunch of 5 starters that deserve to be in AAA. The 'pen is pretty solid I will say. Not spectacular, but solid.

I am optimistic about the future, seems we have some good talent in the system, but our major league club is going be be a celler dweller until we can get some above average talent up here. When you have 1 guy on your entire roster that is above average (Mauer) you are in twouble!

Well said, and with Mauer his numbers actually are bad unless you're blinded by batting average and on base % because most fans realize that's sweet and nice until the other team hits a 3 run bomb on ya nullifying any of that glory. 2 jacks, 6'5" 231 pounds, 13 RBI's, 21 walks, and yes 39 strikeouts wow, but 17 doubles but honestly how many are ringing line drive doubles, seem to be inside out flares to left with English they spin toward foul territory. He bats left handed but uses the field more like a righty. We're 2 months nearly into this "healthy" season never been more ready etc. He never developed a patented homerun cut unless you count the balls he used to dump into the metrodome 1st row of the left field seats, good thing that plexiglass was down and never any wind. I just read a May 20th, best MLB hitters article sure it could be "that writer's opinion", but # 1. Miguel Cabrera then it went Jose Bautista,Ryan Braun,Robby Cano,David Ortiz,Joey Votto and Paul Goldschmidt/Chris Davis need a couple more awesome years to enter the mix. Others receiving votes....Carlos Gonzalez, Andrew McCutchen, Prince Fielder, Buster Posey and Matt Holliday. When you're jackin 1 homer a month like Joe you're no threat, they came after him last night and he wore the hood and looked awful. He better not get voted into the all-star game except as a bullpen catcher. I'm not of the thinking moving him to first and his numbers will take off either. He's already ready to Edgar Martinez out the rest of his playing days. Last night I'm thinking I hope it's Jamey Carroll coming up and not Joe, hoping the near 40 year old utility guy is batting and disappointed it's Mauer after looking ultra sick at the plate is really backward thinking. Bet Joe just hates having Bruno as a hitting coach, but he of all people shouldn't need one. The entire team is so inconsistent, when you think a guy is going to take off on a great streak it doesn't happen. I think it's time to shop our M and M boys around and hope we collect some talent for the future of Hicks, Buxton, etc. I don't think building a playoff team around our MVP's is ever going to happen, Joe was overpaid to fill the seats at Target field because win or lose, people will still show up unlike the buck buchanon years, if it wasn't for summer rec programs attendance would've really been pitiful in those years. Guess it's time for maybe next year. Will Morneau be on the squad ?

This pitching staff is going to catch up with this team in a big way by the end of the season. Its basically the same staff we had last year with different names. Apparently the twins dont know how to learn from past mistakes. The twins refusal to ever sign anyone but a reclamation project in free agency is laughable. This division is so incredibly winnable but yet we seem to be playing for the future all the time. I see the Twins losing AT LEAST 90 games this season even though they had a decent start. Its really sad.... The Pohlads said they needed the new stadium to compete and threatend to contract the team if they didnt get their way. Then they proceed to drop the payroll every single year since theyve been at the new stadium while the product on the field has gotten to a point that its almost unwatchable after 3 years of this garbage.

Go ahead and wait for all these so called "top prospects" to make it to the big club. If they're any good and thats IF, the Pohlads will trade them away or lose them in FA when it comes time for them to get paid. Same old story, same old song and dance. At this point im gonna go ahead and say the Pohlads are one of the WORST ownership goups not only in baseball, but all of sports. They care not about winning or the fans, they care about padding their own pockets. They're not the only ones, but its just hilarious how predictable they are. Depressing we are stuck with them for a long, long time to come.

Yiggy,

I have already decided I will not part with a dime of my money until the Pohlads have a product worth buying. I encourage everyone to do the same. If they want baseball to be a business, give them their wish.

As for Mauer, he is not a power hitter. Get that out of your head. You cant compare him to Miggy. And having said that, maybe he isnt in the top 5 best hitters in the game. that doesnt mean he sucks and he plays catcher! Mauer aint the problem here. The problems as I see them:

1. Cheap owners

2. A horrible ex-GM in Billy Smith who mismanaged the talent we did have.

3. Bare talent cupboards at the major league level because the Twins have...

4. Cheap owners

I agree Cody really, I will compare Miggy's salary to Joe and the Pohlads would be saving money only 2 million a year though. Think Detroit would say even up ? They're both 30 years old ? Not a chance. I find it somewhat funny how long a leash we give our former MVP's. Someone call them out and simply tell them you're both playing like s@#$. They both need a wake up call. I about puked last night watching gardy laugh and smile off getting dumped by Atlanta, he always says they got some good ballplayers over there. Really Gardy, do we, if so kick em in the a#$ whether they need it or not, is our seasons just a joke, do we have any theory or plan to win. IDK, just a frustrated twins fan who used to watch Gladden, Puckett, Gaeti, Gagne, etc. guys that played hard, supported each other, took the game and their own personal play very seriously, times have changed true, but man getting difficult to idk.

The wheels are definitely wobbling and appear to be close to falling off. Starting pitching is poor. Nobody seems to be able to get a clutch hit. There's no fire from any of the players or coaching staff. They can still turn things around but it's going to require somebody to step up and light a fire but does anybody want to do that?

We are now seeing the twins everybody expected to see from the season's start frown

Could someone please explain to me why Vance Worley and Mike Pelfrey are in the majors? That might send a little message if you sent both of them down today and called up Gibson and DeVries. At least they could share a cab. Might as well put Parmalee in the cab too.

How great would it be if you could option managers to the minors?

I dont think Gardy is that bad of a manager. He just has no talent to manage. Pretty hard to win in the majors with a AAA group of players.

How long are we going to to trot Worley and Pelphrey out there? Reminds me of Blackburn. Can't win when the starters get their a$$e$ kicked on a regular basis. Oh, and clutch hitting would be nice, on the off chance we are close. I am and have been (for about 40 years) an avid Twins fan. Just feeling frustrated.

I dont think hes an awful mgr either. Problem is that this pretty much the roster that will make up this team for a few years. Gardy just doesn't seem to connect with this roster. He seems to be the type who can lead a team with talent to beat teams with lesser talent and lose to those with better talent. Those types come a dime a dozen but this team needs someone who can get a little over achieving and improvement from the players. No idea who that guy is but gardy certainly hasn't been that guy for a few years now and I'd like to see a change.

Doubt there have been few mgrs who have retained jobs following two seasons as bad as the last two. The Vikings wouldn't keep a coach with that kind of record. I don't expect he will be fired tho. If they have a .500 season I'd expect them to offer another contract. If not close to that then I expect team to not offer it but to publicly say he either turned it down or he retired.

If they have a .500 season

Thats NOT going to happen. My guess is Gardy will be fired as some sort of scape goat for the Pohlads being too cheap to improve the team, most of all the pitching staff. That will be the biggest move the Pohlads will make- Blame it on Gardy

Sooooo when does training camp start in Mankato? The Twins are done for the season. Good news is tickets will be cheap this summer.

worley sent to AAA.

not good when you send your opening day started back to the minors... lol.

I had a bet at work that the Twins would lose all 9 roads games. I'm getting closer to winning that bet. I guess we will be waiting for 2 years when we have the guys coming up like Sano and others. Just have to get throught this crappy year. If Houston was not in the American league the Twins would finish with the worst record in the AL. My 100 loss might not happen that I bet on but we will be real close.

Time for an over hauling, starting with Gardy.

I am not always the one to blame the coaches, but this is one coach that has been given way too much time.

I know the pitchers are not great, but it is like everyone has lost confidence with his managing style.

Time for his small ball theory to go away. That worked with TK and his style , but no longer.

We are not going to win with pitching and defense, Gardy needs to go.