• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bravo Spielman!!

BuckSutherland

After being one of his biggest critics I am starting to really like what he is doing.

I didnt think that it was possible to get that much for Harvin. I am truely impressed. It seems clear to me that he is trying to build a franchise, not win games. Harvin wasnt going to play here no matter what, and Spielman got a haul for him. We now have plenty of ammo to move up in the draft if there is a player they truely like.

Hope he can restucture a few of the bigger contracts. Great job not taking Wallace. We dont have a QB to get him the ball anyway. I hope he brings in a QB to at least compete with Ponder. With Joe Webb for a backup big WR contracts really make no sense.

Hope they resign Loadholt. We will draft some recievers, and possibly bring in a guy like Alexander from SD, maybe Jennings.

Good day if your a fan of the Purple.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

• zepman

• BuckSutherland

• DrJuice1980

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Stop listening to all the media rubes and repeating it here (think for yourself a little smile ). Spielman only got what Percy is worth. If he didn't have the distraction issue he would be worth much more. I personally do not put much stock in your assessments of Vikings players/personnel Buck.

You can bet Seattle believes they got a steal. Percy is an amazing talent.

Stop listening to all the media rubes and repeating it here (think for yourself a little smile ). Spielman only got what Percy is worth. If he didn't have the distraction issue he would be worth much more. I personally do not put much stock in your assessments of Vikings players/personnel Buck.

+1. No doubt...

+2

My bet is that Spielman has an agreement with Jennings ready to roll tomorrow.

I think they really need to sign 2 legitimate starting caliber FA's now. I could see Jennings/Gibson or Jennings/Alexander.

I would not rule out Cruz either.

I would be surprised if we don't make a draft day trade involving one or both of our first round picks.

lol right now our QB/receiving core consist of Ponder and Wright. Other than that we have Joe Webb who shouldn't even be considered a QB and some guy with 3 names. Other than Wright for receivers we have Childs (glass knees) and Stephan Burton. I'd say that's a safe assumption.

If he didn't have the distraction issue he would be worth much more.

Well, u see there wonderless genius he does have all the distraction issues and he has had them since he got here on day one. He has gotten into major blow ups with both head coaches. He never once came close to playing an entire season. Fact is we won the last 4 games WITHOUT him and are a better TEAM without him. And even if he did get the big contract we could not guarentee that would translate into production (Chris Johnson).

And sorry I dont see 12 sacks being worth $15million for a guy that NEVER (and go look at the GB games) gets double-teamed but everyone thinks he does. And sorry if I dont think its a good idea 2 pay $6million for 35 year old/ two banged up knees James Harrison to come here and head hunt. And sorry if I don’t think it’s a good idea to go out and get Mike Wallace when there is not a chance in hell that our QB can get him the ball. Do you donkeys have any conception of what a salary cap is and how it works?? If we did what you guys wanted we would just have a revolving door of free agents to come in drain the franchise of money and leave with our trophey case in the same shape as before, empty.

You 3 should go in the corner and exchange jockstraps and blackslaps with each other cause you guys would like to run the team the same way its been run for 40+ years. All the recievers in the world wont mean squat when you don’t have a guy to throw them the ball!

+100

Not a bad job by Spielman but not really a great job either. It was clear Harvin wasn't going to resign with the Vikings so Spielman really only had one option left and that is to trade him. I thought he got a decent amount for him but perhaps could have been a little higher. All in all Spielman did alright with it but I think any GM would have been able to do the same thing. It wasn't like Spielman masterminded the entire thing, he was just playing out the only option left on the table.

It's being reported that next years middle round draft pick is indeed a 3rd rounder. Well done!

Well, u see there wonderless genius he does have all the distraction issues and he has had them since he got here on day one. He has gotten into major blow ups with both head coaches. He never once came close to playing an entire season. Fact is we won the last 4 games WITHOUT him and are a better TEAM without him. And even if he did get the big contract we could not guarentee that would translate into production (Chris Johnson).

And sorry I dont see 12 sacks being worth $15million for a guy that NEVER (and go look at the GB games) gets double-teamed but everyone thinks he does. And sorry if I dont think its a good idea 2 pay $6million for 35 year old/ two banged up knees James Harrison to come here and head hunt. And sorry if I don’t think it’s a good idea to go out and get Mike Wallace when there is not a chance in hell that our QB can get him the ball. Do you donkeys have any conception of what a salary cap is and how it works?? If we did what you guys wanted we would just have a revolving door of free agents to come in drain the franchise of money and leave with our trophey case in the same shape as before, empty.

You 3 should go in the corner and exchange jockstraps and blackslaps with each other cause you guys would like to run the team the same way its been run for 40+ years. All the recievers in the world wont mean squat when you don’t have a guy to throw them the ball!

+100

Apologies accepted! Funny you were just singing a different tune about Percy in Dec. Gotta love the part about Jared being a cancer like Moss, TO, and Chad Johnson....your good humor!!

"Like it or not Allen will not be playing here next year. I have been waiting a long time to see him go. The guy is all about himself and is a cancer to the team. He is a Randy Moss, TO, Chad Johnson type that will never get a championship cause they played a big role.

The queens will do much better to give guys like Harvin that money and actually rebuild through the draft and not go out and sign dinks like Allen, Farve, and Herschel Walker, and until they figure it out they will never reach the superbowl."

Oh yes, that was before all the stuff came out about the blow up with Frazier. Sorry I am not tucked into Allen's jock like you are so I dont have access to the locker room like you Uncle Rico. And if I would have thought they could have gotten that much for him I would have said they should get rid of him (knowing about the blow up). I already admitted that I didnt think they would get near what they got for him.

And my whole point was that Percy deserved to be paid way more than Allen period. We will never know if Viking money would have shut him up. He has more ability in his pinky than most I have ever watched. I would have been POed too, but to handle it like such a child was classless and selfish and became a huge distracion to the team. And in his defense I could see why you would want to blow up at Childress.

Spielman only got what Percy is worth.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He's an injury prone locker room cancer, with lots of promise but no track record of sustained success. I think it's a minor miracle that MN got the return they did for Harvin.

Still, they have exactly zero reliable WR right now. I hope they have a plan B. And C.

Oh yes, that was before all the stuff came out about the blow up with Frazier. Sorry I am not tucked into Allen's jock like you are so I dont have access to the locker room like you Uncle Rico. And if I would have thought they could have gotten that much for him I would have said they should get rid of him (knowing about the blow up). I already admitted that I didnt think they would get near what they got for him.

And my whole point was that Percy deserved to be paid way more than Allen period. We will never know if Viking money would have shut him up. He has more ability in his pinky than most I have ever watched. I would have been POed too, but to handle it like such a child was classless and selfish and became a huge distracion to the team. And in his defense I could see why you would want to blow up at Childress.

Naw, I'd agree with you BuckToothSuckerLand that Allen is going to be over paid this season, but you can say that about 90% of the league. It would be nice if he would restructure his deal to free us up some money, I'm sure all that is being discussed. I'd never cut the guy that would be dumb, if anything trade him, there's teams out there that would love to have Jared on their team.

My guess would be if we payed Percy before signing a bunch of turds for more money then he was making he'd be fine. We'll never know though.

I don't think a slot WR should be payed more then an top DE. I know Jared did something to you but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best DE's in the game.

LOL.

He wouldnt have her. She isnt his type. She has all her teeth. My biggest gripe is that the biggest contract on our team should go to a QB. The guy that touches the ball on 99% of offensive plays. Not to a DE or a RB. I realize he adds value to the Wiffs bottom line, but he isnt gonna bring a championship to us.

You and I both know that Percy could do things on the field to change the game in an instant, way more than Allen could. I like how Spielman is fixing the backwardness of the Childress days.

I actually still think we are in rebuild mode. I want to see us load up and make a run at it in 2-3 years. Not right away this year. That involves cutting some big salaries, staying out of FA, drafting well, and getting a franchise QB and developing players. YOu know how many years its been since we won a Superbowl?? I can wait a few more years.

BTW, couple big time QBs coming out next year. Altough I would like to see us take a stab at Bray or Barkley this year. We cant possibly get any worse than what we have.

Oh, and I would just like to go on the record again that Musgrave needs to go. I hear the Hamburgler is looking for work.

Two sources tell Yahoo Sports that the "straw that broke the Vikings' back" with Percy Harvin was Harvin "bemoaning" the fact that Christian Ponder is a poor starting quarterback.

Harvin believed Ponder was "not good enough."

Yes, bravo Spielman...bravo for over drafting for Ponder and creating a situation where WR's don't want to play for your team.

Bravo, indeed. waytogo.gif

I am sure no GM ever swung and missed on a QB. I could start a list but dont have all night. Last year was his first with full control and he brought in 3 bigtime draft picks/all pro players. Kalil, Smith, and Walsh. Josh Robinson will be good, and we dont know about Wright yet.

The biggest problem we have with Ponder is Musgrave. Spielman can help his cause by bringing in Barkley or Bray, or maybe he will wait til next year. I would like to see him do something now though.

I think most people already knew that. Percy's fight with Frazier both on the field (Seatle) and in the locker room were 100% about Ponder.

I don't blame Percy at all for going off on the subject...everybody watching the Vikes had the exact same feeling toward Ponder.

Spielman is on the hook for Ponder...big time. He better fill the WR core FULL of talent starting tomorrow afternoon.

My bet is that Spielman has an agreement with Jennings ready to roll tomorrow.

I think they really need to sign 2 legitimate starting caliber FA's now. I could see Jennings/Gibson or Jennings/Alexander.

I would not rule out Cruz either.

totally agree zep- There is no way they can go into the season just drafting wideouts and hope they pan out. Look at spielman's wr picks last year- Childs and Wright- One might be DECENT in the NFL and the other will probably never even play a down in the NFL. Thats why I dont understand all the manlove for Spielman, I dont trust him AT ALL yet. Sure he had a GOOD draft last year, but it wasnt great. And pretty much every guy he signed in FA was a nonfactor except for Felton. He needs to have a good draft AND sign some guys that can play in FA. We'll see what he does

He absolutely has to go out and get 2 wr's through FA, and at least 1 in the draft because right now they literally have no one.

The biggest problem we have with Ponder is Musgrave.

The biggest problem we have with Ponder is his girl like, limp wrist of an arm.

Should I explain it REALLY SLOW FOR YOU YIGGIN???? IS THIS SLOW ENOUGH??

There is a salary cap, and we just cant go out and spend unlimited money.

And on Ponder.

The first year he barely had any time (cause of the lockout) with the team and hardly any weapons and ZERO BLOCKING.

Year two. Still very few weapons but better blocking, and a complete lack of imaginative play calling. The only consistency he had for two years was Rudolph.

Lets not forget what a pile of carp Brad Childress left to get cleaned up. Do I think Ponder is the answer?? No. So why would you go get big name recievers. We need QB first. A good QB will make subpar recievers look good.

Look at Dirty Sanchez in NY. He had big name recievers. He couldnt get them the ball and reminds me of Flounder. I think we should draft QBs until we hit.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I agree on the QB situation. Ponder will make a great backup QB someday.

Spielman had a great draft last year.

Hope it goes as well this year.

Sure he had a GOOD draft last year, but it wasnt great.

Tough crowd. We got a Pro Bowl LT to anchor the line, a future star safety in Smith, a CB who can fill the nickel role now and will likely become a starter, the guy who will be the starting slot WR in 2013, and the best rookie kicker in the history of the NFL.

I'm not sure what else you can reasonably ask for from a single draft.

I'm almost certain they turn that pick they get into Robert Woods. With Marquise Lee and his ridiculous talent overshadowing Woods all season, he might even fall to the second round despite being the most NFL ready of all receivers available this year.

IMO, Jennings will be signed early tomorrow by Spielman. He's a good locker room guy and a veteran which the Vikes will need with all the young WR's they'll bring in this year through the draft and UDFA's. He'll have to over-pay him to get him here...no big suprise.

My Guess:

4 years/@35M with a front loaded contract...only way to get him to sign.

Spielman needs to get this done at all costs...there's nothing in the cupboard and very little left once Wallace and Jennings are gone.

I don't think Wallace and Ponder are a good match...Wallace is a great deep route runner and Ponder is a terrible deep ball thrower...just doesn't make sense.

LOL.

He wouldnt have her. She isnt his type. She has all her teeth. My biggest gripe is that the biggest contract on our team should go to a QB. The guy that touches the ball on 99% of offensive plays. Not to a DE or a RB. I realize he adds value to the Wiffs bottom line, but he isnt gonna bring a championship to us.

I seem to remember the Packers winning a SB and going to 2 straight even though their DT Reggie White had a bigger contract than their starting QB at that time. There are more cases of that sort of thing. Sure,I would love to have a better QB and I actually would not be upset if they traded Allen for picks and to clear cap space, but your statement was incorrect. Also, if you thnk that contract to Allen is bad, just wait till you see the cap space their new LT takes up when his rookie contract expires. They will need to have B squader's on the other side of the line to balance the cap room out and then everyone will carp on the coaches for the lack of talent over there.And right now the talent isn't that great on the right side the way it is.

IMO, Jennings will be signed early tomorrow by Spielman. He's a good locker room guy and a veteran which the Vikes will need with all the young WR's they'll bring in this year through the draft and UDFA's. He'll have to over-pay him to get him here...no big suprise.

My Guess:

4 years/@35M with a front loaded contract...only way to get him to sign.

Spielman needs to get this done at all costs...there's nothing in the cupboard and very little left once Wallace and Jennings are gone.

I don't think Wallace and Ponder are a good match...Wallace is a great deep route runner and Ponder is a terrible deep ball thrower...just doesn't make sense.

Good lord I hope not but the team never ceases to surprise me.With the draft picks they have and with the contracts they still need to extend for vets, I see no reason not to take care of the WR depth in the draft. The team is building and they would be much better sited to build through the draft than to burn the cap up in FA.