• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

You dont waste a pick on a QB if he cant be any worse than what we got now. Picking a QB this draft would only be if there was a special player that fell to us and I hate to burst your bubble but Barkley is not that special. Ponder needs another year, he hasnt shown he is as bad as you think. He just hasnt had any help, give him help now and see what he does with it, if he cant do anything then the QB spot is something to address later. Throwing out a 1st round pick on a QB would just be plain stupid. We have to address needs and Ponder is not the concern at the moment. We cant give up on a 12th overall pick after 2 season because he has had nobody to throw it too. Yeah I know it looks like he cant make reads but thats not the case, the reads he makes there is zero seperation from the WR so hes forced to put it some where. I dont expect him to ever be a Manning all he need to do is be an efficient passer, something like 14-20 for 200yrds 1TD. That is all we need to soften up the D for AP, we need the threat of throwing to a quality WR or 2 and a TE. That would open up the field and play book so much. Misdirection runs, cut backs, and traps/leads will only take you so far...

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

"Ponder is not the concern at the moment"

Probably the dumbest thing I heard all year.

Under your plan Peterson will be dead in two years. Nobody thought Russel Wilson or Kapernick or Dalton were that good either. They werent the obvious choices like RG3 or Luck. Rodgers fell to 24 or 27 or something like that. He ran pro style offense just like Barkley.

Ponder cant throw back shoulder, he cant throw deep, cant throw into a narrow window, cant throw 10-15 and out across the field, cant change the play at the line, constantly floats the ball so his recievers get killed, cant throw a skinny post. Basically all he can do is the underneath crossing stuff and the occasional slant.

I am not saying Barkley is gonna go in the ring of Honor, but he would fit way better into our offense than Ponder. But lets just keep pretending Juice that if we have stud recievers our passing game will be magically fixed. What a joke.

and we had a quality WR and a great TE. Ponder couldnt hit them. Why would you burn a few million more on more guys he couldnt hit.

Quote:
and we had a quality WR and a great TE. Ponder couldnt hit them.

Wasn't Harvin leading the NFL or close to it in catches before he was injured?

Does anyone else remember how bad Farve was his first couple of years? How about Eli? Or Flacco? Sure some first year QB's look really good their first year but then the rest of the NFL watches and learns like what happened to Cam Newton his 2nd year. Me,,,I would rather have a smart QB that is learning over a fast and rocket armed QB that is just getting by with his skills. I think we need another Joe Kapp. He was a leader and if a linebacker got in his way he just ran him over and knocked him out. cool

Buck, i hear what you are saying with the Dline. But i will agree to disagree. The common thread in every dominant cover 2 is MLB that can do it all. Of course it helps to have a dline that can keep guys off of your LB's. I guess I would rather take a chance on LB with a high pick then a fat guy in the middle.

But seriously..... i dont get your take that it doesnt matter who we have at WR cuz Ponder sucks anyway. It makes ZERO sense. NOT EVERY TEAM can have a Manning bro, Brady or A Roj for a QB. Ponder is what he is and our recieving corps is EMBARRASSING.... The man needs some help out there and in a bad way. Just drafting a couple guys and plugging them in and hoping for the best is a mistake. We need to sign at least ONE proven guy and draft 1 or 2 also. Even if we get a new QB next year our recieving corps will STILL be terrible if we dont address it in a big way this year.

"Ponder is not the concern at the moment"

Probably the dumbest thing I heard all year.

Under your plan Peterson will be dead in two years.

How would AP be dead if adding a passing game? That is going to increase his longevity for sure. We are a running team but we dont need to be that run heavy if we have guys to throw it to. If we have guys to throw it to it will be tough to stack 8 guys in the box every down. HELLO!!!! That is taking pressure off AP. Adding stud wideouts will help, but I never said anything about magically fixing it. I recall stating that we will then know if the QB needs to be addressed. We dont need to have 300yrd games through the air and I dont expect Ponder to magically do that with a couple gamers. It does offer another tier to our offense that we do not have now. You make zero sence and I am not going to engage in anymore discussion with you because you are so foolish and lost its pathetic. How many games did you watch last year that you were actually SOBER? My guess is none because your perception is way off and one of a drunken fool.

When you watch the revolving door of wideouts in New England not that Welker hasn't been a steady presence but do you truly feel Welker is as good as he is or is he quick enough to live large in a pass happy league with pass happy rules ? Good QB's make that kind of player bigger then he is. Moss in Oakland nuthin, Moss in New England somethin, even the elite aren't too special without the man pulling the trigger. So we know we have to make up Ponder's lack of production with stellar D, great kicking game,return game which we lost a huge part of, phenom run game, impact rookies and big taking of the step 2nd year guys etc. And why did we make the playoffs. lol, Viking football I wonder if in other cities there teams, do they feel like a viking fan, it's the never ending roller coaster ride here, should've appreciated the late 90's a little more lol.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
Ponder needs another year, he hasnt shown he is as bad as you think. He just hasnt had any help, give him help now and see what he does with it.
Ummmm, I would call AP and the run game a massive help for him.

Rick are you saying one of the best running backs to ever play should take pressure off a QB and make him alot better......

I agree. Just wish it was working.

No doubt Rick not to mention our kick return and kicking game no doubt helped win a few games I think we lose if Longwell or anyone other than Harvin were bringing it out early last season, not to mention the touchbacks that hid our weak coverage on KO. Aaron Hernandez and the Gronk in NE, can we copy some of that with Rudolph we are and with Carlson ? lol lets just go double tight ! Outhorsepower the opponent.

Ummmm, I would call AP and the run game a massive help for him.

Help in the passing game Rick. Do you honestley think we can be that 1 dimensional and have a better outcome than last season? You really think handing the ball off to AP all the time is the answer? He obviously needs more help than a run game can offer. Wouldnt you agree that a couple decent WRs would help him complete more passes? Ones that can actually run a route and create seperation and then CATCH a ball. Why is everybody so blind in here?

Quote:
Jerome Simpson's one-year salary with the Vikings includes a $1.35 million base salary, $500,000 singing bonus and $250,000 workout bonus.

As venerable beat writer Tom Pelissero put it, "wow." It's a big commitment for a player who has rarely produced, was limited by a mysterious injury last season and has been a headache off the field. It speaks to the Vikings' desperate situation at receiver, and seeming lack of direction in the front office.

It speaks to the Vikings' desperate situation at receiver, and seeming lack of direction in the front office.

ditto, we need a solid WR or 2

Quote:
Help in the passing game Rick. Do you honestley think we can be that 1 dimensional and have a better outcome than last season? You really think handing the ball off to AP all the time is the answer? He obviously needs more help than a run game can offer. Wouldnt you agree that a couple decent WRs would help him complete more passes? Ones that can actually run a route and create seperation and then CATCH a ball. Why is everybody so blind in here?

You just keep thinking it is everyone else but "you" that is blind smile

I dont think to many people are actually arguing with you that better receivers will make Petersons game better, and help Ponder. I think that is agree apon with everyone. I think the part that isnt agreed apon is the need to go out and over pay to get a receiver, and that Ponder will ever be anything close to an average QB. Those are the things we mostly disagree with you about.

The FO must see something in Simpson, that we didnt. I have to agree, they have made some questionable moves, with Henderson, and Simpson. I had no problem in the Harvin deal, we got a good deal on him. Winfield, was over paid, and not worth what he was going to paid, and I agree with their move to cut him since he didnt restructure his contract. If he wants to come back for a veterans minumum, I am sure there will be a roster spot open for him.

The simpson deal makes perfect sense, we have to keep our WR traditions of having at least 1 guy that knows how to operate a Michael Phelps glass piece at the wide receiver position. We really need Fred Smoot back organizing boat outings.

The simpson deal makes perfect sense, we have to keep our WR traditions of having at least 1 guy that knows how to operate a Michael Phelps glass piece at the wide receiver position. We really need Fred Smoot back organizing boat outings.

Hillarious!! Yeah, with Percy gone we needed to have someone there to pick up the slack. But really anyone that we get to play WR probably likes the peace pipe.

Dont leave out Bryant McKinnie. I heard heard business at the local topless bars is way down since he left town. Got to meet him when I worked in the sports bar at the MOA. What a classless piece of dung.

And juice for your sake I hope they get Jennings. I hope he likes catching the bubble screen cause that is about the only way Flounder can get him the ball.

Quote:
Vikings agreed to terms with QB Matt Cassel.

The Vikings were nearly as eager to sign Cassel as they were to unload Percy Harvin. They were the only team linked to the fading signal caller both before and after his release from the Chiefs. Cassel is an upgrade on Joe Webb in that he could conceivably be thrown into the fire without crumbling, but it's hard to strongly recommend a player who's committed 30 turnovers over his past 18 games, even as a backup. Even if Christian Ponder struggles again in 2013, Cassel is not a serious threat to his job.

Ladies and Gentleman... you got him. Matt Cassel.

At least we have a competent back-up now. Or maybe just a guy that wont throw jump passes. Thats about all i can say about it.

I wonder how much money that leaves us? Maybe theyre saying screw the Jennings pick up, sign Urlacher and some scrub #3 WR and pick something up in the draft. Interesting to see what unfolds in the next 24 hrs.

We need a solid LB or two something fierce. We pretty much have to sign a veteran MLB. Unless we plan on taking one early and think he can instantly come in and make a big impact.

I hear tell that Troy Williamson is looking for a team and available. If we resign him, bring in Gene Hackman to coach him and put stick em all over his hands to build confidence, maybe he will come around.

Will be very interesting to see what the numbers are for the Cassel deal. My prediction is he will be starting before the end of the season. Bigger question is who the he!! is he going to throw to? Well obviously Simpson, which then begs the question, who is goin to CATCH the ball.

Lets get Cruz, with Wright to be our solids, and then simpson and Williamson to our outside speed and run the top off the defense. YUP.....IT WILL WORK!!!!

CHarlie Johnson? How much was he making in the first place? are we saving 15 hundred bucks and a dinner at manny's steakhouse for the wilfs with this restructure? Poor guy...

They must be picking on all of the marginal roster depth/sp.tms players now that they think they can get by without and making them restructure to save pennies here and there.

I would think if they REALLY want to open up some more cap room Jared Allen could shave oh about 8 million off his salary alone and still be making too much... Maybe he makes that much because not only is he a DE, he is secretly the president of public relations/winer and diner for the vikings too... laugh

Quote:
Vikings LG Charlie Johnson has agreed to restructure his contract.

The new deal lowers Johnson's base salary by $500,000 and reduces his 2013 cap number to $3.85 million. While it doesn't give the Vikings much financial relief, it's a necessary move after Johnson vastly underperformed last season. He could face competition for his starting job.

And everyone says They over paid Jennings... Sheesh 4.35 mil for Charlie Johnson? 5 mil for Carlson? Jennings looks like a steal!

Good L uck!

Ken

That's a new fad LABS, people get paid because of how others perform. AP is a beast so Johnson and Loadholt get paid. Kind of like how WR's get paid when they've had elite QB's.