• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

I figured I would start a new thread to get things going in the free agency, and draft talk.

This would be nice, however, I just dont see it happening. The Vikings have to many holes to fill, to go after big FA.

Quote:
NFL.com's Jeff Darlington reports the Dolphins anticipate competing with the Vikings to sign free agent Mike Wallace.

To this point, only the Fins have been floated as a likely destination for Wallace. The Vikings could make things interesting, with a similar need for an outside receiver to take the top off of defenses. Miami remains in the driver's seat. GM Jeff Ireland is intent on adding wideout help after underestimating the markets on Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon last year, and the Dolphins are sitting on roughly $36 million of cap space. The Vikings have about $15 million.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

I would like to see the Vikings go after either Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson in the 1st round

I can't see any way we pursue Wallace due to the money he's going to bring. He'll get more than Boe received from the Chiefs.

Only way I see them interested at all is if Spielman KNOWS he has a deal in place to move Harvin before the draft.

I see them keeping Harvin and building their WR's thru the draft this year...probably 2 in the 1st 4 rounds.

By keeping Harvin, you're going to have to eventually pay him Boe like money...either this year or next. Rookie WR's don't cost much and there's a deep class of #2, #3 type guys out there that the Vikes need in the worst way.

First thing I would do is cut Jared Allen. Griffen will produce more than Allen all day long. And allen is due $15 million.

I just have that feeling that we are going to draft Manti Teo. We seem to be in love with Notre Dame guys. I wouldnt mind seeing us trade down, maybe with SF and getting a couple more picks and then try to trade up in the later rounds. Then do most of our drafting from rounds 2-4.

I think they will take

1. Teo

2. Barkley (he was top ten pick in 2012-Kalil connection) if he is there or WR

3. Honeybadger

4. WR

4. DT

5. LB

the rest is anyones guess.

Be interesting to see how much Loadholt wants. He is not very good pass blocking, but he can run block. Not a fan of Wallace. We dont have a guy that can get him the ball anyways.

I think Bray (QB) from TN is worth a look in RD 3. He has two recievers in the draft that are going to be high picks and he had terrible coaching. Maybe he can be good with coaching. Huge arm.

I think the Vikes will keep Harvin, unless a very significant offer is received ,that we can't refuse.

I also believe we will make every effort to keep Loadholt...but his agents demands have to be reasonable.

There are several players that I believe(hope) will be off Spielman's big board...Teo, Ogletree, Honeybadger for sure. There are others too, but I'm not familiar with them all. If they have "character concerns" they will be off the board, or at least down 2-3 rounds, if they think they can mature them soon.

I don't see Barkley in our mix, as someone will "reach" for him in/above the 3rd round.I do expect us to get a development Qb late ,though(5th rd on).

I expect Rick to make a couple trades, at least, like last year...too many variables to guess them.

Jared Allen isn't going anywhere, this year...may get extended though.

Williams will be "restructured" .

Carlson will have one more year to prove his worth, then.....

Of course all the above is my opinion, only...I have no inside info. cry

First thing I would do is cut Jared Allen. Griffen will produce more than Allen all day long.

That would be great if Griffen could produce more then Allen all day long, that would mean we would have 2 DE's in the Top 5.

We had a great draft last year, but a terrible year for signing free agents. I would guess we will see the same this year. I just don't see the vikings making any big free agent signings his year...maybe next year. I hope they don't sign Teo! He's way too slow for the pro game.

we need: WR, LB, CB and OG. I'm still a believer in best player available, but I'll be surprised if they don't draft a WR.

Allen, Winfield, and Williams are all on thin ice if you ask me. There's a ton of talent out there right now that could come in and replace them for a whole lot less $$$$.

I expect the Vikes to make some hard decisions in the next few days. Williams and Winfield would be at the top of that list. Williams needs to be let go...he just doesn't have it anymore. Winfield is a part time player now...earning a starting salary.

If the Vikes want to get younger, and better...NOW is the time to get rid of these aging veterans who are taking up too much cap space than their worth.

I agree, they should cut Williams, and Winfield, or at the minimum, restructure their contracts to free up cap space. As for Allen, I would resign him to a 3 yr extension, for about half of what he is making now, but give him the guarantee of the remainder of his current contract. If he doesnt do it, cut him as well. But I think he still has a couple good years in him, but not worth 10+ a yr

While those 3 veterans are higher priced, I think there has to be a balance between vets and rookies. Can't just drop all the team leaders, and expect good results. I remember last year ,in the middle of the losing streak, the reports were about Allen and Winfield speaking up in team meetings. That kind of vet leadership is invaluable for team success. We aren't in the locker rooms so we don't really know the team dynamics. Each position group needs a quality vet leader, to get the most out of the players. I personally believe that leadership dynamic has more to do with cuts/ keeper player decisions than we know. That's why some of the cuts are "head scratchers" to us.

I agree, they should cut Williams, and Winfield, or at the minimum, restructure their contracts to free up cap space. As for Allen, I would resign him to a 3 yr extension, for about half of what he is making now, but give him the guarantee of the remainder of his current contract. If he doesnt do it, cut him as well. But I think he still has a couple good years in him, but not worth 10+ a yr

Are you drinking the water straight from the river, cause you sure are dellusional? Winfield is the best of these three players. I could find you 15guys I would take over Allen right now. I believe Freeny and Paul Kruger(even though he's small) would be much cheaper and produce just as much as allen. Jared forgot what the weight room looks like and he suffers because of it. Just casue he was good in the past doesnt mean we should keep him around.

I would be POed too if I were Percy making 900k watching that redneck pulldown 15 million. Wonder who is more valuable on the field?

Wondering where PIERBRIDGE is too?? Maybe he could come in tell me what an silly-me I was for saying we draft Kalil last year instead of Justin Blackmon like he wanted to take. And also saying we couldnt get Clevland to give up a bunch to move one spot. How did that end up? I would say Kalil was one of the best picks in Viking history.

How did Blackmon work out for Jacksonville anyway???

No doubt that giving Spielman full reins on the draft has been very positive for the Vikings. He may be following the Ted Thompson mode of little FA action unless it's a value, and building through the draft. The major key to that strategy is that you've got to have a talented scouting department and a smart cookie pulling the trigger as GM. Last year could prove to just be a lucky shot in the barrel or the start of a dynasty. We will find out in late April

Wondering where PIERBRIDGE is too?? Maybe he could come in tell me what an silly-me I was for saying we draft Kalil last year instead of Justin Blackmon like he wanted to take. And also saying we couldnt get Clevland to give up a bunch to move one spot. How did that end up? I would say Kalil was one of the best picks in Viking history.

How did Blackmon work out for Jacksonville anyway???

Blackmon will be a star, I think. He had a few eye-popping games last year, anyway. But there is no question - as many pointed out before the draft last year - that Kalil was the best pick and a position of dire need. And he sure turned out to be everything we could have hoped for. It's pretty safe to say that without drafting Kalil. the Vikes wouldn't have made the playoffs and Peterson wouldn't have had the memorable season he had.

Now, it's WR time. Part of me would love to see Minny sign Wallace, even at a high price tag; part of me wonders if Ponder can get the ball downfield well enough to make use of his speed. There is little doubt that we need somebody who can stretch the field on offense. If MN signs Wallace and Harvin gets his head on straight, they could be a scary, scary team next season.

If MN signs Wallace and Harvin gets his head on straight, they could be a scary, scary team next season.

Umm... any team with Christian Ponder on it will never be considered a scary, scary team.

Buck,

Winfield will be a good back up for a couple years, I would hate to see him go, but he needs to take a cut in pay. Your hate affair for Allen makes you delusional, he is 1 year removed from a record breaking year, with last year having to play through an injury, and still being above average. I would assume if you had a shoulder injury, you probably wouldnt be in the weight room lifting much either.

Allen will come back and be a top 5 DE this year, like he has always been.

You totally missed my point of my post, and that was to get the older vets, that are declining, to take a pay cut. Not to just cut them, but if they wouldnt take a pay cut, then let them go, or trade them.

I will take that bet ALL DAY long. Why dont we put $100. Winner donates it to charity of their choice.

There is a lot more to being a defnesive end than sacking the QB. Every team in the league can blow him right off the line and run it right down his throat. We faced GB 3 times and Chicago twice. They have terrible LTs. Allen didnt do squat against them (single teamed all the time). I think he sacked Rodgers after he held the ball for 10 secs once.

And did u ever stop to think the "injury" is made up?? No, i am sure no pro athlete ever lied to make themself look better than they are. If he was soo injured he wouldnt be playing. As far as I am concerned the whole D-line from last year could be scrapped and start over. We didnt get any pressure on Rodgers in the Playoffs and look what they did to us.

Unload the biggest mouth and the biggest salary and you could get Wallace.

And does anyone think its fair for Allen to make more than Adrian Peterson??

Winfield is not a backup. Barring injury he is no doubt a starter.

The Vikes just came out and said they wanted Winfield back BUT they're going to cut his playing time significantly. He's not looked at as a starter anymore.

How much weight do you think the prospects AGENTS have on Ricks big board?

I like some of the prospects talent....but when I hear who is their agent, I think they won't be worth the trouble. It definitely knocks the players down on MY list.

Jared has way more left in the tank then Winfield that's forsure. Winfield is an elite tackler and all but he gets OWNED when he tries to cover anyone above average. He has been riddled with injuries the past few season because of his playing style though, his body can't hold up anymore.

I like him and he's a good player, he's a solid veteran that knows the game and he's a good mentor and role model. I hope he stays around and retires here teaching the young guys and playing in rotation. He'd still be a baller if he could stay fresh.

Teams don't run the ball down Jareds throat much, they wait for him to explode off the line and run the ball right to where he just was taking advantage of his speed around the edge and running it inside. That's when a LB is supposed to step up and make the play but most ours are a step up from a turd.

Buck, did Jared hit on your woman or something? You clearly hate him even though he's one of the best DE's in the league.

If Percy had a better attitude they would've paid him more than 900k. He is a disease. His attitude is soooo terrible. Guys like that end up figuring that out later in their career when they realize they aren't bigger than the league. Had he played like he can and not nurse MULTIPLE injuries his stock would be up. He is by far the best slot receiver in the league but he is no #1 by any means. He's a possession, 3rd down, slot, and return threat. I'd rather have a Dez Bryant/Brandon Marshall type WR ANY day rather than Percy. He's got skill but what he has isn't worth the babying. Give me a guy with size and hands.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If Percy had a better attitude they would've paid him more than 900k.
Ummmm that's his rookie contract. I don't see him as a cancer or disease YET. He's had a couple of hiccups.

Let's see if he's smart enough to handle this year knowing the Vikes have the leverage and gain a little leverage by being a little more like AP.

Playing lights out and doing the right things to increase his value around the league.

Percy was never a problem until they brought in a bunch of tools and paid them more money but wouldn't give him more money even though he was outperforming his rookie contract.

Do people actually think guys like Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall have better attitudes then Harvin? Almost every high profile player in the NFL needs babying these days.

Percy was smart not playing while injured for a team that didn't want to resign him. Now he will be traded and make some money while being healthy.

Quote:
Citing a source with knowledge of the situations, Profootballtalk.com reports the Anquan Boldin situation is "not looking promising" for Boldin's chances of staying in Baltimore.

Boldin will not budge off his refusal to take a pay cut. The Ravens want to slash $2 million of his salary, which might be more reasonable had Boldin not put the team on his back during Baltimore's Super Bowl run. PFT's Mike Florio also confirms "it has become clear" that Boldin has no plans to retire.

Boldin would make a nice replacement for Harvin, just saying wink

Quote:
SPN 1500 Twin Cities reports the Bears' interest in free agent RT Phil Loadholt is "legitimate" and they are offering more money than the Vikings.

Per Vikings beat writer Tom Pelissero, Minnesota doesn't intend to offer Loadholt more than $5 million a year. The $5 million figure would be solid for a right tackle, but by no means one of the bigger contracts in the league at that position. A day after dealing Percy Harvin, the Vikings appear to be at risk of losing another integral offensive piece. Loadholt is a 27-year-old mauler in the run game.

Quote:
John Carlson has agreed to a restructured contract.

The Vikings foolishly gave Carlson a five-year, $25 million a year ago even though they had Kyle Rudolph ready to go. He ended up catching eight passes in 14 games. Due to count $4 million against the cap in 2013, Carlson was a lock for a massive paycut.

Quote:
Word among agents is reportedly that the Vikings are a possible landing spot for Matt Cassel.

Cassel is expected to be released by the Chiefs shortly. The Vikings need a pocket passer to replace Joe Webb, who can't run an offense designed for Christian Ponder. Cassel has also been linked to the Cardinals and Jets.

Thats kinda funny, because Christian Ponder couldnt run the offense designed for him either smile