• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

What's the current over/under on the number of games before Cassel is taking snaps?

See my last post....

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

I think Ponder will suffer an early injury when he is getting boed after game 3, then Cassel will be the starter after that.

Maybe I've missed the camp reports that tout Cassell's standout performance... I know that Ponder sucks and that the grass is always greener on the other side, but Cassell doesn't seem to be the savior. He did well with the Patriots in Belichik's pass-happy offense. He's not much different than Matt Flynn in Green Bay's pass-happy offense. Those guys struggle when they don't have great weapons and a high-quality offense surrounding them.

Very true, look at how Cassell did in KC. Not that good. And they had a much better pass catching RB in Charles. And also a good receiver in Bowe. But on the plus side Cassell is better at tossing the long ball so that will give us something we didn't have with Ponder.

Quote:

According to ESPN's Kevin Seifert, WR Jarius Wright is the "most impressive receiver" in Vikings training camp. Wright was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft and is looking to do more than being a fourth or fifth receiver in the offense. He’s turning heads as the second year receiver is putting pressure on Jerome Simpson and Corradelle Patterson for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart.

According to ESPN's Kevin Seifert, WR Jarius Wright is the "most impressive receiver" in Vikings training camp. Wright was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft and is looking to do more than being a fourth or fifth receiver in the offense. He’s turning heads as the second year receiver is putting pressure on Jerome Simpson and Corradelle Patterson for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart.

Receiver's coach, George Stewart, said Wright is a completely different person this year...confident and vocal, a locker room leader, and someone getting ready to make a big splash. Exciting to hear that kind of stuff about such a young player!

I listened to him being interviewed on the PA show last week and agree he sounds much more mature and seemed to have some confidence.

Until they get rid of Ponder they will be a playoff berth team at the very best. You cant have a stud team when the guy touching the ball on every play is the worst player on the field. Good thing Jared Allen doenst play offense, or I couldnt say that.

How in the hell can you say Allen is worst player??? I'm hoping that was saracasm...I think Ponder will be improved this year, he showed he is very talented last year, half the games...But at least now we have a somewhat competent backup (glad they finally put Webb at a position he should have been at all along). Being the vikes QB should not be hard just give the ball to AP and convert on 3rd down...If needed

Since when has Ponder earned the right to only throw 2 passes in a pre-season game. He needs more "live" work than anyone....

They said he was going to be in for one series, even if it was 2 passes lol...Leave Webb where he is for the love of god ha...Patterson looks good I'm excited to see him this season...

Well it started well but was short lived. Hard to tell if it was poor pass, alligator arms on Simpson or timing. Maybe all three. I would have liked to see one more series with starters or even Cassel with the rest of the starters. Ho hum all around. Patterson looked pretty good.

Yep Ponder showed he has the Starter positioned anchored with his one series... Sheesh.

Seriously. He needs a lot more game day work than a true starter would... They're treating him like Montana.

I turned it on late in the second half just for the heck of it, and I turned it off as soon as I heard Paul Allen's voice.

Ponder hasn't earned anything, I think that was their way to see more of Cassel against stiffer competition. If they are serious about Ponder he should atleast play a quarter, even guys like Brady stay in the game longer then Ponder.

Yep,

Ponder hasn't won anything yet. And that was a short sample size but a 50% interception rate can't help smile But in all seriousness he should have played a quarter it's not like he's "that" good where he doesn't need the practice. Although I don't want to see him play more as the Vikes QB but he should be in long enough at least show what he's got.

I do agree they should have played Ponder for at least a quarter instead of one series, but I don't think Cassel is anything too special either. Yes Ponder went 1/2 for 15yds and an interception. I thought the interception was a fluke play though. Could have been Ponder's fault, could have been Simpson's fault, or it could have been just timing. Either way it was the first real competition they saw this year. I still believe Ponder is our guy and will prove that over the course of the season. Cassel went 12/19 for 212yds for a touchdown and an interception. Not that outstanding of numbers against 3rd and 4th stringer players. I think the young guys looked promising and think this season will be a fun one to watch. Patterson will be fun to watch also.

Patterson actually reminds me a little bit of Randy Moss when he first came to the league. Granted this is a very SMALL sample size, but what I do think is comparable between the two from first glimpse is, speed, effortless running (seems like he's gliding), good hands.

Way to early to annoint him as anything yet, but I will admit, after that first kickoff "Percy WHO?" was uttered from my mouth. A little early for that too, but will be fun to see how he develops.

I will admit that "Percy Who?" thought did cross my mind after that opening kickoff. Although I will admit I'm not a huge fan of having one of our Possibly Main Offensive weapons returning kicks.....that is just a recipe for disaster.

I will admit that "Percy Who?" thought did cross my mind after that opening kickoff. Although I will admit I'm not a huge fan of having one of our Possibly Main Offensive weapons returning kicks.....that is just a recipe for disaster.

In fairness, Harvin never got hurt on kick-offs...just everywhere else smile

Paul Allen and Ponder should spoon together some more.

Both are absolutely terrible at their jobs.

PA is virtually unlistenable.

His blatant sexual advances towards any female makes me want to vomit.

Paul Allen cracks me up. All night long it was "we we we" when talking about the Vikings. Then at the end when it was lost "the Vikings lose" come on man Allen doesn't want to go down with his boys.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
NFL suspended Vikings FB Jerome Felton three games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Felton was arrested for DUI last summer. His Week 1 status was already in some doubt due to an emergency appendectomy, so at least the brief ban will give Felton an opportunity to be 100-percent healthy upon his return. Felton earned Pro Bowl honors in 2012, clearing lanes in front of NFL leading rusher Adrian Peterson. Felton will be eligible to resume playing games in Week 4