• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 Vikings off season

Scott K

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• DrJuice1980

• FISHINGURU

• YiGGiN4SLoBS

Quote:
The Vikings are expected to make a "strong run" at free agent ILB Desmond Bishop.

The Bears were also rumored to have interest in Bishop at one point, but have likely moved on after using a second-round pick on Jon Bostic. Bishop's addition would suck the life out of interim MLB Erin Henderson's prospective IDP value. After missing all of 2012 with a ruptured hamstring, Bishop insists he's 100 percent healed. The Vikings will make sure during their forthcoming physical.

He sure would help out our biggest weakness right now

Bishop worked out for the Vikes yesterday. Don't know if anything will come out of it, but I hope they decide to sign him as it is better than any other option we have at inside linebacker at this point. Then they should just cut Henderson completely.

Quote:
Free agent ILB Desmond Bishop is expected to decide on a team following Thursday's visit with the Chiefs.

Bishop reportedly had a "good" meeting with the Vikings, but still left town without a deal. Now he'll see about a possible starting job in Kansas City next to Derrick Williams. The Jaguars are also rumored to have interest, but no visit has been scheduled at this time.

Quote:
ESPN's Kevin Seifert says a half-dozen people have told him recently how impressive rookie Cordarrelle Patterson has been this offseason.

Patterson was a lock to excel in non-padded drills in which defenders aren't allowed to touch him. He's a physical freak that can run by anyone. The key to beating out Jerome Simpson for the starting split end job from Day 1 will be getting off jams at the line of scrimmage and running crisp routes in traffic. Patterson won't have a chance to show he's polished enough to do that until camp.

Quote:
Vikings agreed to terms with MLB Desmond Bishop on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

Assuming Bishop's hamstring holds up -- a rupture cost him all of 2012 -- the move stabilizes and completes a suddenly impressive Vikings linebacker corps. Rather than trot out journeyman special teamer Marvin Mitchell on the weak side, Minnesota will move Erin Henderson back to Will with Bishop playing Mike and Chad Greenway holding down Sam. The Vikings' front seven will continue to be stout after ranking 11th versus the run in 2012. Bishop and Greenway will be the every-down linebackers, worth targeting as LB2/3s in IDP leagues.

I like it!!! Heard that they might want him to play outside and keep Henderson in the middle. That would be a HUGE mistake. Henderson isn't an inside backer.....let him be outside. Vikings are making good moves and setting themselves up to be a strong team. Maybe not this season, but within 2 seasons they will become the dominant team in the NFC North.

Heard that they might want him to play outside and keep Henderson in the middle. That would be a HUGE mistake. Henderson isn't an inside backer...

I think this is posturing. The told Erin to "beef up" so he could compete in the middle...now, they grab an actual MLB so I see it being an open competition with the idea that the winner is already known to the coaches and Henderson moves back outside. I sure hope so, anyhow. If Bishop truly is healed up, it is a STEAL of a deal.

I like the signing of Bishop, in my eyes, that leaves the only real question mark of the team on Ponder. If he can take the next step this year, the Vikes may give the Packers a run for the division, if Ponder cant take the next step, we will fall just short of the division again this year.

You guys got a good athlete in Bishop if that hammy holds up. I'm upset that the packers just cut him loose...but thats the Ted Thompsen way.

I really like the signing too. WAY more than Urlacher! This should be the best division in football next year. Everyone should be improved with the possible exception of the Pack. I'm looking forward to the season.

Everyone should be improved with the possible exception of the Pack.

Ya ok...

Perry will start this year after missing most of last season and word is he's bigger, stronger and faster than last year...

D jones should be a stud and play this year.. Perry, Matthews and jones should Make a weak secondary look at least OK

Add in true running backs in Lacey and Franklin ( suppose to be better than Lacey) for our first chance at a running game in years

And still the best QB in the NFL with one of the best WR corps in the pros...

Yep no Improvements, whistle though it's hard to make huge strides when you are at the top of a division vs. teams at the bottom or middle. Those teams always look to make great strides as they need so much to be truly competitive.

Good luck!

Ken

I think GB will be a more balanced team this year, which is yet to be determined if that is good, or bad.

I am kinda surprised we were his best offer

Quote:
Desmond Bishop's one-year deal with the Vikings is worth $750,000, and includes just $50,000 guaranteed.

Bishop can earn a total of $1.35 million through bonuses and incentives. His deal includes $100,000 in roster bonuses, and $500,000 in "playtime incentives." It's not a surprise after Bishop missed all of 2012 with a ruptured hamstring. Despite Erin Henderson's protests to the contrary, Bishop is expected to be the Vikings' middle linebacker.

Other teams must have been concerned about his injury.

We need a player like Desmond in that position and hopefully he can play the entire season. He will be a great addition.

With our draft picks, things should be much inproved for the Vikes, my only concern is Ponder.

If we do not see any great improvements in him, then maybe it's time to cut him loose.

All of the teams offered Bishop essentially the same deal, except the way that the Vikings offer was structured Bishop can become an unrestricted free agent at the start of free agency next season. The other deals would have left him in limbo at the start of free agency.

As widely reported, Bishop relishes the opportunity to play against the best QB in the division, just as he enjoyed dueling with AP all these years.

As a Packer fan I hate to see a good linebacker like Bishop go to the Vikings, but he will add some good pop to the defense and be a great compliment to Greenway's talents.

• 2 weeks later...

ponder sucks....

AD can not carry the team again.

Jennings is always hurt.

They got a decent new linebacker...

Packer win division again.

Queens draft a QB next year or trade for a former packer qb.

ponder sucks....

AD can not carry the team again.

Jennings is always hurt.

They got a decent new linebacker...

Packer win division again.

Queens draft a QB next year or trade for a former packer qb.

Packers are Mediocre at best.

Maybe so, but they will still have a better record then the Vikings this year. I think next year the Vikings start dominating the division again for a few years.

Quote:
Through three days of Vikings camp, Christian Ponder has still been "consistently inconsistent" as a passer.

Long a chronic eye dropper -- he looks at the rush instead of keeping his downfield focus -- Ponder has reportedly had "difficulty throwing accurately" when pressured, "or sometimes at all." Ponder went 4-of-12 passing in Monday's practice, and was sacked twice. Meanwhile, backup Matt Cassel went 8-of-11 in team drills, and a receiver dropped a pass. Ponder is very much on the hot seat.

With the way that Ponder and Cassell are throwing the ball, they might as well line AP up at quarterback. The ball won't be thrown any worse and it will really make the defense have to think!

Maybe the Gophers could loan one of their QBs to the Vikings

It's Ponders job to lose, it's early and I'm sure there is rust but he's pretty much always been consistently inconsistent.

We'll see what happens but I have a feeling the Vikings would be a better passing team with Cassel as QB.

What's the current over/under on the number of games before Cassel is taking snaps?

Taking snaps?? I would say by game four or five he should be in there for sure. Gonna take until six or seven before he starts. They are gonna have to go through the whole, "Christian is our guy, blah blah blah" garbage before Cassel gets in there fulltime.

Until they get rid of Ponder they will be a playoff berth team at the very best. You cant have a stud team when the guy touching the ball on every play is the worst player on the field. Good thing Jared Allen doenst play offense, or I couldnt say that.

I guess we will find out if Spielman and Frazier are the real deal if they can part ways with this terrible pick and draft a QB next spring. They should have taken Barkley this year in the late third and used Cassel until Barkley was ready.

It comes down to wins and losses and not his play. Just like when Jackson was playing and stinking it up but the defense was winning games they kept him in. Same thing with Ponder. If they lose 5 of the first 6 and he looks bad they will bench him. If they win 5-6 and he looks bad he stays in.