• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going above and far beyond.

Walleyehunter38

A group of guys and I have gone up for the Perch Extravaganza every year for the last 4 or so. We always stay someplace different. Some love to fish some love to.....go ice fishing with us?? This year we spent a few extra bucks and got a 6 man 12x20 premier from Appledoorns (many know where this is going..) We booked 2 months ago, and well.. I got a phone call From a young lady last night saying that our cabin has been double booked and we have a couple options.. They offered us two ice cabins or the possibility of the 18x28 gargantuan. The group would want to be able to hang out at the card table and such so I leaned toward the larger. She called back after talking to management and told me that were good to go for no additional cost on the 18x20 12 man 22 hole cabin!! To Paul and your staff, We have not even stepped foot on your property and already We are blown away at your customer service and approach to buisness. To anyone who has ever considered Appledoorns what you read on hotspot & other forums is beyond the truth, you will not be dissapointed. I have visited almost every resort on Mille Lacs over the last several years and service like this really stands out to me. Thank you again and we cant wait to meet you.

If anyone else is coming up that weekend come on by the barn on the pond to say hi!

Chad

grin

That's a nice upgrade from your last house, since i believe you get a generator, fireplace, and TV with the Barn... and an outhouse OUTSIDE of your house.

Good LUck.

I'd say you AND the resort was LUCKY they had an extra. If it was rented and yours was double booked it would be a different story. Could have easily been a tear jerker. I like this story a lot more. I've gotten the shaft on two similar situations with OTHER resorts.

The original had all the ammenities generator, fireplace, tv/dvd, etc... But not an outhouse OUTSIDE! I mean come on that just plain bad @$$ and Alagnak, yes I agree we are both lucky in this situation. I thought this was the least I could do to say thank you... This is actually my first time renting from Appledoorns, I have been there and fished off their roads but never stayed in a rental. Should be a good time!

Is there a deal going on where you get 50% off for coming on a forum like this and tooting the Appledoorn horn. Seriously. I'm all for good service and commend Appledoorns for providing it, but from this forum you would think they are the only place on the lake. Good service is all over. I'd say it's rare these days to come across a complete a-hole when your giving them your business and hard earned money. I'm a new customer at the Red Door this year and I would put their service and friendliness up against anyones. I also know people that love Castaways. I also know people that love Garrison Sports...and so on. From reading your post it sounds like they screwed up and were lucky enough to be able to fix it and upgrade you. Standard procedure in my book.

Is there a deal going on where you get 50% off for coming on a forum like this and tooting the Appledoorn horn. Seriously. I'm all for good service and commend Appledoorns for providing it, but from this forum you would think they are the only place on the lake. Good service is all over. I'd say it's rare these days to come across a complete a-hole when your giving them your business and hard earned money. I'm a new customer at the Red Door this year and I would put their service and friendliness up against anyones. I also know people that love Castaways. I also know people that love Garrison Sports...and so on. From reading your post it sounds like they screwed up and were lucky enough to be able to fix it and upgrade you. Standard procedure in my book.

The reason they get talked about so much is that they do a good job of making the customer feel appreciated. I've been buying a seasonal pass with them for about 3 years now. During this time Paul drove out to get me when I had a flat tire, brought me back to the shop, let me air it up and brought me back out all without wanting anything in return. He also pulled my sinking house out of a slushy mess late one Saturday evening as well. I have been out of 3 other resorts (not the Red Door yet) and like they way they treat you. At other resorts your have to yell across the bar (you know the resort) just to be able to buy your road pass. If the Red Door was closer to the south end, I would probably visit it as well, and probably praise it as well.

All that being said, I do agree, they messed up and double booked, so providing another house of equal or greater value would expected. Not upcharging them was also expected. In this case they did what would have been expected. It's the other things that they do that aren't expected that gets them all the praise.

And no, I don't get any discounts for speaking good about them.

IMO - if the service this guy received was enough to spur him to sign up for the HSO forums and rave about Appledoorns, then they did their job.

IMO - if the service this guy received was enough to spur him to sign up for the HSO forums and rave about Appledoorns, then they did their job.

He hasn't even been there yet. The only thing that has happened so far is they double booked him and upgraded, that deserves rave reviews? I don't doubt their customer service at all for a second, but seriously..

He hasn't even been there yet. The only thing that has happened so far is they double booked him and upgraded, that deserves rave reviews? I don't doubt their customer service at all for a second, but seriously..

I agree with you that the rave reviews in this case are a little overboard since he hasn't stayed with them yet. Kinda like raving about your future stay in a hotel, before you even go there. But, I have to ask, have you ever been to Appeldoorns?

Thats the whole point I'm trying to make here. And no, I have never been there. I have had no reason to leave the Red Door. I'm scared if I checked out Appledoorns I would quit my job, sell everything I own, and move down there to live in a fish house to be treated like a king..

Thats the whole point I'm trying to make here. And no, I have never been there. I have had no reason to leave the Red Door. I'm scared if I checked out Appledoorns I would quit my job, sell everything I own, and move down there to live in a fish house to be treated like a king..

That reply was a good one,OptimusPrime has a great sense of humor. But with all that has been said I think if someone recieves good cutomer service regardless of when or where it's nice to see it posted here so the rest of us can use that information when choosing a resort we have never had any contact with.

That is just plain outstanding!! Yes, I've been there, was pleased enough to go back too. But, depending on the day, weather, etc, there are several quality options, seriously indeed!!

I have used alot of different resorts on mille lacs and there is no comparison when it comes to appeldoorns. I have been treated very poorly by others in the past, so if someone wants to "toot the appeldoorns horn" by all means, toot away. if someone would receive comparable service somewhere else, I'm sure we would hear about that . as well. I'm sure other resorts give good service as well, but when you are blown away by how well you're treated, you want people to know!

I have used alot of different resorts on mille lacs and there is no comparison when it comes to appeldoorns. I have been treated very poorly by others in the past, so if someone wants to "toot the appeldoorns horn" by all means, toot away. if someone would receive comparable service somewhere else, I'm sure we would hear about that . as well. I'm sure other resorts give good service as well, but when you are blown away by how well you're treated, you want people to know!

RyanV...apparently you missed the fact he hasnt even been there. He could show up and find a floating baby ruth in a hole. I would take being blown away with good fishing any day. And I will be completely honest its been good up north at the Red Door. Toot toot.

No deal for commenting on here, just doing what I thought was nice. If I find any kind of ruth I can assure you, you all will know about it. Unless there is something wrong about commenting on that? I didnt ask permission before I wrote my opinions because this is where I go to read all your opinions weather there good or bad. Ill never complaign about hearing good things about a resort on here, I will go there and see for myself. And if I have a good time, Ill tell about it, and bring others to enjoy it with me. Heck, I might even tell a little story before I get there whistle TOOT

In fact they do have great customer service. If you have been to many resorts on the lake you would know that many do NOT. I have had a perm. at 3 different resorts and have went out of almost every resort on the lake and they have been by far the best service i have seen. Why do you care if the guy gives a good review? "Resort envy" or possibly "little man syndrome" only speculation of course....LOL That is what forums like this are for, helping people find good resorts. Resorts can't control the fishing but they can control great customer service, Paul also does a great job of keeping his rentals on fish too! I wish i could live at Appeldoorn's but I can only go every weekend and holiday.....sad for me. frown

Nope No deal as far as I know and there is nothing wrong with the OP feeling like he has been treated great maybe he has bad treatment in the past who knows and if he is happy with this resort so be it,even if he hasn't even been their yet. There is nothing stopping anyone from raving good reveiws on any resort that is on any of the lakes in Minnesota.

Paul and his crew at Appledorns is top notch and these comments prove that.

Walleyehunter, you will have a great time. Nothing wrong with your post saying how they have treated you so far.

One almost can post how great they are if you read the forums.

Never heard one bad word about Paul or the resort. They do go the extra mile, maybe even 2-3 more.

In fact they do have great customer service. If you have been to many resorts on the lake you would know that many do NOT. I have had a perm. at 3 different resorts and have went out of almost every resort on the lake and they have been by far the best service i have seen. Why do you care if the guy gives a good review? "Resort envy" or possibly "little man syndrome" only speculation of course....LOL That is what forums like this are for, helping people find good resorts. Resorts can't control the fishing but they can control great customer service, Paul also does a great job of keeping his rentals on fish too! I wish i could live at Appeldoorn's but I can only go every weekend and holiday.....sad for me. frown

Your speculations are off. Stay down and fish in "East St. Paul". Or if you Diva's want to fish Mille Lacs you know where to stay. Apperently they have the best service on the lake wink

You've got a lot of negative to spew...Too bad you can't elaborate on what makes something "GOOD". I'd surely head up there, but by golly i can't find any reason too. Plenty of indepth examples about appledorns. Why don't you enlighten us on your experiences at other resorts? WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THEM - and that is not scarcasm....Saying it's been good isn't swaying anyone's decision to head to red door.

And I will be completely honest its been good up north at the Red Door. Toot toot.

Someday maybe you'll learn to be a productive member of this website rather than a tough guy.

This Diva is going fishing

whistle

OP, Come down to the East Side and fish Phalen with me sometime. I'll show you how to catch'em!!! LOL Diva. that's good funny!

I've fished Mille Lacs for 40+ years. As I've stated before Aplledoorns is in the top 10 resorts on the lake. Top 3 no,top 10 yes. We're just tired of the constant plug that no other reort comes close. Is Appledoorns having finacial dificulties and that's why the constant commericial to try and drum up more business?

I'm not trying to be a tough guy by any means. You all are missing the point I am trying to make. Appeldoorns receives good feedback for a reason, they provide good service. I get that. By all means post away if they blow you away with service. In this case I personally don't agree it is warranted..yet. As someone said earlier its like posting about a future stay at a hotel. Just my opinion. All they did so far is overbook and upgrade. I'm sure we will hear all about it when he returns from his trip.

As far as the Red Door, they put me on a spot I haven't moved from all year. Very productive fishing, best I have had in years. First day out on New Years 10 fish in an hour of fishing. Super friendly service when getting bait or eating at their cafe. Road is always clean, and plowed right to my door. After the snow storm I had a problem and needed more blocking, and they guy was out there in no time. Just my experience, and to each their own.

Found myself stuck out on Highway Bar last weekend. Maybe a few hundred yards from a group of houses. Went out from the resort of topic here. I knew about their good service from the posts here and have chosen them for the last few years as a result. After getting rather vocal of what a meat head I was for getting stuck I dropped the house and setup. Plans got changed as a result and I was going to sit it out and wait for my brother to show up. He planned to come up and fish with me for the evening as I never get to see him and he purchased a one day license to hang out with his Little brother. Lol

Anyhow, a few hrs. later I see one of the Doorn's trucks coming down the road that I was a good 80 yards off from. As I started walking to the road a gentleman I will call Big "T" comes over in the big truck with chains and ask's what's going on. No longer than 5 minutes my Blazer is out and I am no longer stuck. Big "T" goes on his way after I share my gratitude for his help. I begin shoveling snow away from my house so I can get to it without getting stuck. I then was driving over and over to pack the snow down. Well then comes another gentleman driving a Doorn's truck only this one with a plow. I will call him Big "D" He tells me to move my generator and proceeds to plow me a nice trail in front of my house. Then a nice road from the main road to my house. I explain I have no cash to pay him but could run a tip on the card when I get back to the resort. He declines...so I offer up a beer and he then say's how about a Pepsi? I say hell ya, I have one of those and brought him a venison beer stick to boot. I got to spend some time shooting the bull with these guys and they let me know to sit tight were the house is. Glad I did as the Brother and I picked a few up for the memory bank.

The folks at Appledoorns have left me with good memories as well and for that I will return. Call it tooting their horn or whatever. I choose to call that first class service for what the outcome could have been.

Some of you may know who I am talking about when it comes to Big "T" & "D". First letters in there name and I will say they are awesome folks.

A Pepsi and beer stick is a small price to pay for the gas and time they spent to help me out when in need. It was my first time needing help out there and they lived up to there reputation indeed.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Glad you had a good trip CC.

How was the bite CC? with the current conditions and more snow coming I'm hesitant too come up this weekend even though i already took Friday off. I may just need to call Kevin and see if he can can put me on a bite close to the roads...but part of me is saying "f-it, find the fish, get stuck and bring a bunch of cash for a tow." Lol. Pm me if ya want.

Did your bro catch some fish with his 1 day license?

Thanks M&M. Have the rest of the week off grin and may have to run up there one more time before the closer? Send me a PM if your up for getting out up there or around the home front. Truth or Gordie got fishing plans during the week? This guy is off to the ice somewhere and it really is nice to just sit back and wonder were to go. Lol Just if I was rich and could do what I want. Don't even have to be rich, Lol Just do what I want would be plenty good. wink

Get up here TW, if the weather looks bad we just moved some houses to a new area, with a main road close bye. I will look for the Bonneville and get you to road if needed.

CC, that was a funny story, I told "big.D" what you said and he laughed and said "that venison stick had fire shooting out my ears" lol