• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

11th Annual HSO Burntside Bash - Jim Hudson Memorial - March 9th

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Matt, nice fish. wink

I really wanted to get up to a few spots on the North Arm but didn't know anyone else had sleds at the bash and I didn't want to venture up there by myself. Rats! frown

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• lispeej

• chaffmj

Finally got a few minutes to stop in tonight. What a fun bash it was! I enjoyed being able to meet some new folks and visit with some others I haven't seen in a couple years as well. Thanks to everyone who helped make the day a success from those that donated items for the auction, cooked/ brought food and any of the other behind the scenes work. It went off with a bang and I am glad I was able to finally attend my first Burntside Bash. I know I will try my hardest to make it again next year. Great photos as well! Now I wish I would've snapped a few.

A special thanks to Frank (Surface Tension) and Frank jr. for allowing me to tag along and fish with you on Saturday. I had a great time as well even though the fish didn't cooperate at all. FYI... I spent about 5 hours in the same spot today and ended up snapping my 10 lb flouro leader with a cisco on my set line/arctic warrior around noon. I was pretty bummed and made for a long drive down to the north shore.

When I got here to my next hotel tonight I realized jr left your ice scoop in my pickup. Not sure if I could get it back to you somehow or not. PM me and let me know either way. I will be passing through Duluth tomorrow, but may not have time to check back here.

I had a great time again this year and would like to thank Steve, Frank and Steve for their hard work in putting this thing together for people like me to enjoy.

A big thanks to all of the businesses and people that donated items for the silent auction. Jodi and I came away with some nice stuff at a great price and it made it extra special to know that those purchases went for a good cause.

I would also like to thank those that brought food to share, Jim and Lisa for the beans, coleslaw and apple pie, Mark and Gina for the chili, pickled northern and dessert, Ripstick for his sweet buns and chips and whoever brought the potato dish and potato salad, thanks.

It was good to see some people that I hadn't seen for a few years like Ripstick, Loonasea, Casaloma and Norhlander.

Another enjoyable time was had with my Bash buddies, Surface Tension, Frank Jr, Jim, Lisa, Steve, Mark, Gina, Piedmont Angler and my look alike (according to BD110) Mike Stark.

It was also enjoyable meeting again or for the first time, Trumy, Zona, Simey1, Leech, lispeej, Jeremy, Buzbunni, Gary, Eric, Brad, Vic Sr (when he was awake), Matt, Scott, Outdoor Ran, Nate, a couple of big breaded guys and a few others whose names I can't remember.

Another great Bash goes into the books.

I'm so happy I got to attend the great Burntside Bash once again this year. Not only is it located in one of my most cherished places to fish, I got to spend it with some fabulous quality people. I have to be honest and say that I got skunked-my heart thumping for about 10 seconds while a nice red line on the ole Marcum raced up the column after my lure only to stop and wander off on Saturday. cry That's why it's called fishing and not catching...

Anyway, Jim, Mark and Gina (my bro and sis-in-law) and Mike (chaffmj) fished Friday and Saturday. Mark caught a small laker on Saturday before the Bash. We were supposed to fish Sunday but decided to head home since we heard the roads were messy. That's the fishing report.

The Bash was very fun as per usual. I bid on and won some pretty neat stuff. I even bought jewelry! I got a couple of growlers from Canal Park Brewery (not sure if I should show the pic of those eek ). It's pretty great that we raised a nice sum of money to honor Jim Hudson for his loved ones. Great food with a special thanks to Mike for lunch on Friday and the awesome pork on Saturday. It was a pleasure spending the day with you along with Jodi and all the other crazy Bashers! Thank you to the organizers of the Bash, Frank, Steve Sutherland and Steve Foss. I think it went wonderfully in spite of the weather. Good job fellas. Thank you to all the Bashers who make this an event I don't want to miss from one year to the next!

Here's some pics of the festivities:

full-17131-31001-img_1264.jpg

full-17131-31002-img_1256.jpg

full-17131-31003-img_1266.jpg

full-17131-31005-img_1263.jpg

full-17131-31006-img_1252.jpg

Buzzbunni (who is a durn nice fellow but was wearing the ugliest ice outfit I've ever seen) nailed about an 8 lber. He BADLY needs a Striker suit!

Not so sure about the "nice fellow part" , but I sure can agree about the ugly outfit. My goal? Free suit from Striker based purely on pity grin

Maybe next year laugh

A great event and a great weekend. Thanks so much to all of those who worked so hard to make this event run as well as it did. The food was spectacular, Steve and Frank kept the auction moving along smoothly, and the fellowship was the best. Blessings to all of the generous souls who donated so freely to this good cause. It was fun to meet up with old friends and put faces/names together with the new friends. A special thanks to Mr. Foss and others who have generously posted quality how-to information over the years to help us Laker Newbies to get into the game, and to Adventure Inn owners and staff. A lovely motel at a great price. I will be staying there again for sure.

Bill and I ended up with the winning bid on the Hardwater Laker Trip with Steve Foss Guide Service and can hardly wait to learn from the master. Winter 2014 can't come soon enough for this guy! Also ended up with with a lovely bracelet and necklace combo. Mom loved it! Silver with blue rocks. I forgot who made it, but just beautiful. Would love to know the components are, and so if you see this post, please chime in, PM, or email me ([email protected]).

It's official: I'm a Laker Chaser. No turning back now! smile

Saturday: My fishin' pal Bill and yours truly ended up getting the one laker (28"/8lbs) near an island point in about 30ft. Dead Cisco on the bottom was the ticket. We picked up a 4lb pout as well, right b4 we packed up. Never did mark any fish that day. We were fishing near Lee and his son (nice to meet and hang with you Lee smile ), and as you saw, he picked up one at the end of the afternoon Saturday as well. Musta been the "hot spot" on the lower lake that day. We had planned to make it to The Boathouse this night, but we ran out of energy and crashed hard after a quick stop at the Ely Steakhouse.

Sunday: Wow. What a lovely day on the lake. Fresh snow and hardly a soul out there. Just beautiful. Fish weren't biting much on this day either, but at least we got to mark some fish and play a bit of run and chase with them. Never did end up getting bit, but as the colder air moved in later that night, and spots of blue poked thru the clouds...well, like I said, just a gorgeous night out on the lake.

Would love to have posted some photos, but alas, I lost my camera on Saturday night. Pretty sure I dropped it at the intersection of Van Vac and Cty 88 at the stop sign. I was taking a video while driving on the lake and I think I put my camera in my lap. Got out at the stop sign to secure the latch on the topper and I'm pretty sure it dropped on the roadway right there. Sigh. These things happen. Most likey it's crushed or plowed into the ditch at this point, but if any of you locals find it I would be more than glad to offer a finders fee. It's a yellow Olympus Stylus Tough-6000. You will know it's mine because it's got pictures of The Bash and also of a guy in the ugliest ice fishing outfit ever smile .

Finally....thanks to all of you who joined me in cheering Edina on to a State Championship in boys hockey. All two of you laugh . This old cake-eater tips his derby to you.

Hope to see you on Burntside next year!

Blessings.

-Buz

Would love to have posted some photos, but alas, I lost my camera on Saturday night.

Update:

I received a phone call from the owner of the The Ely Steakhouse this morning. Apparently I left my camera there after a wonderful dinner on Sunday night. Scott (owner) did a little investigative work and was able to access my photos. Fortunately I had taken some pics of my truck, and as my truck has phone numbers for my business on the side....well, there ya go!

Thanks to Scott and Staff at The Ely Steakhouse for taking the effort to track me down. I always have a meal and a beverage (or two) here when I am in town, and have even more reason to patronize them in the future. Good food and good folk.

I will post a few photos once I get the camera back.

Bill and I ended up with the winning bid on the Hardwater Laker Trip with Steve Foss Guide Service and can hardly wait to learn from the master. Winter 2014 can't come soon enough for this guy!

It's good for the rest of this ice season, too, not just 2014. March is streaky, but offers some of the best fishing of the winter. smile

Finally a few minutes to hop back on the board, and I'd like to add a very hearty "thanks" to everyone involved in the Bash as well...from the organizers, the cooks, food donators and of course the retailers who donated all that great stuff. I could tell a lot of time went into this and I really appreciate people donating their time to pull it off.

I had a great time and enjoyed meeting as many of you as I could. Nice to put faces with the names that have become so familiar on the board. Great to catch up with Mr. Foss and Northlander after a couple year absence. Had a few marks, no fish...but that wasn't a huge motivation for me. Just wanted to be a part of something for a great cause, and am so happy to see the amount of money raised for the Hudson family.

Another great stay at the Paddle Inn, a "clucky" at the Steakhouse and of course the Boathouse. I had not been there before but it fast became a favorite spot. Really enjoyed visiting and watching hockey with Simey1, Zona and Brad at the bar Saturday night...Really enjoyed meeting you guys!

Thanks again for everything, can't wait for next year.

Tom

P.S. - I left my black card table on the ice on Saturday as it was full of stuff when I left. If someone grabbed it just let me know and I can arrange to get it. If it's still in Ely I'll be back in a few weeks and can get it then. Not a huge deal, thanks.

Tom, I think Northlander or Surface Tension picked up that table when we were cleaning up.

Glad you found your camera Buz! I think that Striker suit would make you well suited. wink Seriously, they have some nice stuff.

Steve, I was bummed not to see you and Lisa on Saturday night. I feel like I gave you some grief on Friday night whistle and then I barely saw you again. It was nice seeing you again though as always! I'll get a hold of you if Jim and I FINALLY get our hinders up to Ely this summer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

titelines, I stayed at the Paddle Inn as well must have missed you all weekend. Unless you were the one driving the big Black truck which knocked it's muffler off out on the lake some where? Then I heard you coming back from the bar late every night!!!!!!! madlaugh

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Tom, We waited for someone to clam the table. It was time to bug out so I have it.

PM me and we'll make arrangements for you to get it.

Jeremy, darn is it the hockey stick scoop?

If you like it you can have it. The scoop needs to be trimmed down a hair.

titelines, I stayed at the Paddle Inn as well must have missed you all weekend. Unless you were the one driving the big Black truck which knocked it's muffler off out on the lake some where? Then I heard you coming back from the bar late every night!!!!!!! madlaugh

Hey leech...Nope wasn't me, I was in the white Xterra. Wasn't at the room a lot...although I did come back late a couple times smile

Steve, I was bummed not to see you and Lisa on Saturday night. I feel like I gave you some grief on Friday night whistle and then I barely saw you again. It was nice seeing you again though as always! I'll get a hold of you if Jim and I FINALLY get our hinders up to Ely this summer.

I was just too worn out to hit the town twice in a row. Definitely drop me a line if you're coming back this summer. smile

Thanks to Steve, Frank and all who made this years bash a great one. We had a great time meeting up with people from last year. Met a few new friends also. Seems like the nite came and went quickly. Mike, the tenderloins were great. I realize what we missed when we had to leave early last year. Better luck next year with the sled Tom, always sucks when gear malfunctions. Steve, nice shot, I will work on getting you back. We will definitely have to have bash hats for next year. Maybe that will change my luck...probably not, but at least I will look cool. Thanks again to everyone who made it work. Dan

Just want to say a big Thanks to everybody that put on the Bash.

GF and I had a great time and met great people, will be back next year.

Thanks again

Perchlips

Quote:
Jim, a Subaru is the code name for a revolutionary new type of airplane Jig. Only three have been made so far, and I have them all. I've been reluctant to show them in public, since lakers will actually jump up out of the hole if you dangle the lure in the air a few inches above. That's why they call it an airplane Jig. The patent is still pending. Once it's firm and we start production, no one born in Ely will be able to buy them. I may call them Swampy's Revenge, Petulant Packsacker or Catastrophic Carpetbagger. Because they don't need to go in the water, they last forever. I'm going to charge $59.99 each.

I'd go with Swampy's Revenge. Has a nice ring to it. grin

Gina and I had a great time At the Bash as we had been looking forward to it all winter. A special Thank You to Steve( Northlander ),Steve Foss, and Frank( Surface Tension )for the time and effort on behalf of Hannah.

Looking forward to next year but half to finish this years ice fishing first.

We bought the Northland jacket for Gina but it fits me, and also bought

Lisa's Striker jacket from her as it was too big for her.

040.jpg

Lisa and a couple of Canal Park Growlers

038.jpg

It is almost dinner time! Thanks so much for lunch and dinner Mike!

037.jpg

Mark and Gina wearing dead animals!!

029.jpg

Steve Foss and others

033.jpg

Striker Wear

031.jpg

Other assorted silent auction items

030.jpg

034.jpg