• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

11th Annual HSO Burntside Bash - Jim Hudson Memorial - March 9th

I figured I would join in the chime here and mention I will be up finally, for my first Bash this year and staying at the Adventure Inn (best place in town). Be making the trek over from Fargo real early Saturday morning and staying through Monday afternoon.

Lake trout veteran, Burntside Bash rookie. A great combination, Jeremy! smile

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Northlander

• lispeej

• chaffmj

Hey Northlander, its Carmon, get ahold of Drew or Gary Ayers for my personal cell number. I have a Hummingbird 385ci GPS ice fishfinder that was used twice that i will UPS to ya to bring up for the auction. Its in perfect condition so should help Hannah out. I saw the donate here tabs but im fairly old school and would rather ship it to you so i know its in the right place for her. Call or text me your address and its hers. still trying to figure out how to make the bash but its our busy time so very difficult frown take care.... finsandfeathers.... aka... Carmon..

Hey Northlander, its Carmon, get ahold of Drew or Gary Ayers for my personal cell number. I have a Hummingbird 385ci GPS ice fishfinder that was used twice that i will UPS to ya to bring up for the auction. Its in perfect condition so should help Hannah out. I saw the donate here tabs but im fairly old school and would rather ship it to you so i know its in the right place for her. Call or text me your address and its hers. still trying to figure out how to make the bash but its our busy time so very difficult frown take care.... finsandfeathers.... aka... Carmon..

Thank you!

Mr Foss, Thank You for doing a really good thing! The water we all are on both gives and takes, either hard or soft water... Devils Lake claimed one of mine 22 years ago and she still keeps him. We as fishermen cant explaine the passion but we can always be there for each other! On a side note, I think you should call Cheffrey to do the cooking wink just sayin grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

FinsandFeathers,thank you for the donation.

Someone mentioned food.

The Bash is a pot luck deal and that works out great.

Bring what you have and share.

We would like to do continue that again but like the Deb Bash we're looking to raise money too.

So bring something to share and we'll feast like always and make a $5 donation per person.

The silent auction. We're getting some very nice donations. If you'd like to donate something for the auction you can contact Steve or I or just bring any last minute things to the HQ on the day of the Bash.

Fins you have a PM. Thanks man.

Any one else wanting to donate something send me a pm and I will send you my adress and we will make sure to get it in the silent auction.

Posted this on the "JIM HUDSON" thread, but figured it would be appropriate here as well:

The time for talk (7 yrs ) is over. I need to make it to the Bash.

Lakers. The hardwater fish of all hardwater fish.

Been reading the posts for years (seriously. so sad.) and have all the gear I need.

One question: My buddy and I wanna angle for a coupla days. Better to fish (and learn) at the Bash on Saturday and then fish Sunday by ourselves? Or...fish Friday and then Bash day as well. Curious if anyone else will be out on Friday and/or Sunday? No sleds or atv's in our group (tho we will have 4wd pickup), and so we would either have to be able to drive out or walk out if no "shuttle" service is available.

Thanks guys/gals. Looking forward to it for so many reasons.

Posted this on the "JIM HUDSON" thread, but figured it would be appropriate here as well:

The time for talk (7 yrs ) is over. I need to make it to the Bash.

Lakers. The hardwater fish of all hardwater fish.

Been reading the posts for years (seriously. so sad.) and have all the gear I need.

One question: My buddy and I wanna angle for a coupla days. Better to fish (and learn) at the Bash on Saturday and then fish Sunday by ourselves? Or...fish Friday and then Bash day as well. Curious if anyone else will be out on Friday and/or Sunday? No sleds or atv's in our group (tho we will have 4wd pickup), and so we would either have to be able to drive out or walk out if no "shuttle" service is available.

Thanks guys/gals. Looking forward to it for so many reasons.

Probably best to come to the Bash Saturday and then fish Sunday as well. You'll get the benefit of info/demonstration on Saturday, which you can put to use Saturday, plus the conversations you can have with lots of experienced laker anglers later Saturday. That way, you'll be armed with info/tactics both days.

If you fish Friday/Saturday, you wouldn't get as much benefit. I do expect that a good number of peeps will be up Friday fishing, just easier to get the info you need when everyone is together on Sat.

Even if snow levels make truck traffic hard, there are a series of plowed roads on the lake, with plenty of good laker water within 200 yards of the roads.

Is the burntside bash recommended for all rookies of all ages? First, I'm trying to get the lovely wife to come up and second, trying to see if this is a kid friendly event.?

Are we at a disadvantage if we have no idea of where to start fishing? Or should we start doing our homework now before coming up? We would really love to get into some big lakers.

I have read a lot of threads and made some notes of what to bring, but knowing where on the lake to go fishing is another story. Burntside is a huge lake and can be intimidating.

Thanks.

It is a kid friendly event and as far as where to go to catch fish feel free to do your homework but you can also show up and people will point you in the right direction. Also I beieve Steve Foss will be showing laker fishing tactics at headquarters the morning of the Bash.

Kid friendly for sure! Aside from the laker fishing demonstrations at Bash HQ, I'll have a laminated 6x3 foot map of Burntside so we can put people on solid laker spots. smile

Kid friendly for sure! Aside from the laker fishing demonstrations at Bash HQ, I'll have a laminated 6x3 foot map of Burntside so we can put people on solid laker spots. smile

Sounds good! cool

So far I have donations from Otter Outdoors, Marine General, DH Custom Rods, Bernicks, Northland Tackle, Nilsmaster, Ice Force/Rapala and Todays Tackle. A Huge thanks to these generous Companies. Please remember their generosity when you go to buy your fishing needs.

Rules are as any other silent auction is. If your the highest bidder when time is up you get to buy the item you bid on. As far as items there is no way I can type all of it out. I will say that we will have a Otter ice house, rod locker, sport sled, Northland jacket, Interstae 8 amp batteries, shirts, hats etc etc. Well worth the trip because Im sure you will get some of these items at very good prices and the best part is you get to help out a person who needs are help. Hannah Stonehouse Hudson.

Yes, we've got a large (and still growing) list of prizes. I'll work on a list as the Bash grows closer. Probably won't be absolutely complete, because things will still come in up to the Bash.

For the larger items, we know so far we have ice shelters from Otter and Clam, an FL-12 Pro Pack from Vexilar, and FL-8SE Genz Pack from Red Rock Wilderness Store, gear and rod bags and performance wear from Striker. I'm donating one ice laker guided trip and one open water laker guided trip. And there is much, much more. As far as we can tell so far, they'll run from the higher ticket end of things listed here, with lots of medium type price range stuff, and plenty of stuff on the low end, so everybody can get in on the action regardless of budget.

Ya wanna talk about fun? Yeah, baby! laugh

Would someone be kind enough to make a list of minimum must haves to bring....bait/gear...etc. I would love to put the kids and my lovely wife on some fish.

I'm not talking about your regular stuff like flashers and augers and cameras and such. Or should I just keep it simple?

Thanks much.

Would someone be kind enough to make a list of minimum must haves to bring....bait/gear...etc. I would love to put the kids and my lovely wife on some fish.

I'm not talking about your regular stuff like flashers and augers and cameras and such. Or should I just keep it simple?

Thanks much.

Do you have medium action walleye ice rods and 8 lb line? You can get away with that, as well as using walleye-sized jigging lures like jigging raps and swedish pimples. Bside lakers (especially the 1-4 lbers) sometimes are shy about hitting big baits, but even the big lakers will eat small stuff.

If you are in the mood to buy, then get rods in MH rather than M action and spool with 10 or 12 lb mono. Make sure to use either a snap swivel (or a barrel swivel up the line, a couple feet of mono leader, and then a snap at the end of the line.) Jigging produces a lot of spinning motion, so a ball bearing swivel is a must. Most veteran laker folks I know prefer the bb swivel, a mono/fluoro leader and then the snap.

No point bringing an underwater camera. Lakers aggressively pursue lures all the way up and down the water column, and a camera tends to pin a person down and make them reluctant to get the lakers to chase because the action leaves the camera zone. Also, if you get a good sized laker on, you're likely to get the line and cord hopelessly fouled up. It's fun to watch how lakers approach a lure on camera, but as a lake trout catching aid, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. Flashers are far superior when it comes to lakers.

If you have tip-ups, bring them, along with frozen cisco. You're allowed two lines, so we typically each jig in one hole and have a tip-up/bait rig in the other. Some days the dead baits do all the work and the jigging lures are ignored. Other days the opposite. Most days in between. With a party of four people, eight lines can cover a LOT of structure.

FYI, you don't need a trout stamp to fish for, catch, and release lake trout on Burntside. That means, with no stamp, you can catch, measure, photograph and release them right away. You need a stamp if you want to keep any.

I will be using a tip up and a Medium rod spooled with 12 lb mono. My wife will be using a MH rod we bought for her also spooled with 12 lb mono.

I will be getting some swivels (already have some, but will get more) attached to the lines.

My kids will be using our regular light rods. They will probably have the most fun catching fish with these rods!

Question:

1. How long of a leader do most folks use?

2. Does the color of the snap/swivels matter? What brand preferred?

3. What other types of fish are in burntside?

cool

1. How long of a leader do most folks use?

2. Does the color of the snap/swivels matter? What brand preferred?

3. What other types of fish are in burntside?

cool

1. Depends on rod length. A leader the length of the rod is good.

2. No. No preferred brand. Make sure the swivels are ball bearing, not barrel.

3. Who cares? Hah! laugh

OK, OK. Walleye, pike, smallmouth bass, burbot, whitefish, bluegill, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, black crappie, white sucker, redhorse, rock bass, rainbow smelt, yellow perch. smile

I want to give a HUGE THANKS to Kyle Berg who donated a $190 St. Croix rod to the benefit. What a awesome individual donation. Thanks a ton KYLE BERG.

Its no where near an auger but I'll put up a pair of growlers (4 pints in BWCA legal jug) from the Boathouse Brewpub. Because of the legalities of serving alcohol as well as the family friendly nature of the event, the growlers will come empty and I'll make a certificate to be redeemed for the contents. That way the winner may pick his or her flavor as well.

3. Who cares? Hah! laugh

laugh Coming from the guy with the really slimmy errr.... trout on his Avtar laugh

You guys are going to have a blast.

Its no where near an auger but I'll put up a pair of growlers (4 pints in BWCA legal jug) from the Boathouse Brewpub. Because of the legalities of serving alcohol as well as the family friendly nature of the event, the growlers will come empty and I'll make a certificate to be redeemed for the contents. That way the winner may pick his or her flavor as well.

Thanks! May have to bid on that one myself! laugh