• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much is to much??

keyks42

WOW! $50 is alot for probably no more than a half hour of work. In my opinion. I believe that if one angler needs assistance, its proper etiquette to help out without any expectations of a fee, whether its a person driving by, or a resort. Two years ago I also used a resorts road, and lost my 4 wheel drive trying to get back onto the road, and ended up getting stuck. Its was around 10 PM, after I tried and tried to shovel my way out, I called the resort cause the closest fish house to where I was stuck was a long walk. I was informed that the guy available to come help me out was slightly intoxicated, and they would have to find someone else to help me out, and it would be half hour or so before they would get out to me, and I also would be charged a fee. I decided to walk to the nearest shack, asked the owner if he would mind helping me out, and without hesitation, we both jumped in his truck, and not only did he pull me free, he also made a path to the road for me to follow so I would not get stuck again. I offered him a 6-pack, he took 1 beer and said drive safe, and off he went. I have not went back to that resort, never will, and will never recommend them to anyone. And I will help anyone out on the lake that needs it, with no expectations! So after that long response, my answer to the question is, the road pass fee should have been sufficient.

LOL,

Drop everything and come HELP ME!

I wonder how many people when put into a tough situation look up for the nearest person to help first, versus how many first take a look at the situation and look for a solution.

This whole country could use a lesson in how to hlep yourself. 2c

So if during the summer you launched your boat from the resorts landing, are they expected to help you retrieve your boat if you forgot to put the drain plug in and your boat sinks.

You mentioned that you have been ice fishing on the lake for 20 years and this is your first time getting stuck.

$50 / 20 years = $2.50 a year, cheap insurance policy

So the guy asks How Much Is Too Much, and you all climb up his hindend.

Yeah, class acts in here.

That said.

To much is when the guy hooks onto your swaybar and destroys it, then after he unhooks tells you that he is going to need an EXTRA 40 bucks to get your disabled vehicle to shore.

Yeah. That's Too Much.

Call us class acts if you want but if you can defend half these people that think an 8-$10 fee should get you a babysitter also then this isn't the lake for you. This is not a backyard pond, this is a huge, angry, visious and dangerous lake and no place for beginners in the winter or summer. You need the proper equipment and to be prepared for the worst. Those of us that have grown up around this lake give her all the respect she desearves, and thats a lot.

Call us class acts if you want but if you can defend half these people that think an 8-$10 fee should get you a babysitter also then this isn't the lake for you. This is not a backyard pond, this is a huge, angry, visious and dangerous lake and no place for beginners in the winter or summer. You need the proper equipment and to be prepared for the worst. Those of us that have grown up around this lake give her all the respect she desearves, and thats a lot.

It's GOOD that you respect the lake Hawg.

At least you have a little for something.

So your expectation was for the liqured up guy to drive out and help you right away or for the person on the other line to drop what they were doing and come out ASAP? Get real man, the difference between the 2 is ones a business and ones an individual who had "free time." I can't understand how some people think they are entitled to everything beyond their opinion.

Fishergurl,

If he was 5-6 miles out on the lake it could have taken the tow guy , at 10 to 15 miles per hour (normal safe ice road speed), and his time to hook and unhook, at least an hour or more. My guess is, this was an employee and not the owner. So time is money! $50 an hour for an employee and equipment wear and tear is in line. If the owner managed his employees time any other way, he would be broke fast, right?

In your case, you got stuck on or close to a resorts road that you paid an access fee to. Maybe not apples to apples as this guy was not on a resort road but chose to get stuck going cross country a half mile or more from any resort road, let alone the one he called to tow him.

You are paying for a maintained access to the lake. $10 does not go very far for that service when you add it all up to keep that access and the "free" plowed roads usable 24/7. Understand? If not, sit back and watch what it takes for a day or two and do the math. Then tells us the resort guy owes you for something he has no control over.

OK, #1 - TW, if you read my post, I specifically said that after trying to dig myself out, I called. And #2 - DR, my expectation was that when I called the resort that I went out of, their driver would be available, and not drunk. It is a service they offer when using their roads, but after they stated that they would have to search for someone else, I declined and decided to take a walk to look for help. Man, this site is really getting negative. A guy asks a question, and doesn't get a simple answer, but gets attacked. A guy posts a pic of a beautiful Bass, and he gets attacked cause he mounts it.

"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us." Lots of BULLY's on this site, probably time I stop coming on here.

Most resorts will have something posted such as travel at your own risk or not responsible for accidents. Things happen and people should help people but most of the times most look the other way and yes it is sad that this happens.

It is a good thing to remember is that it is winter and you should be prepared for it.

A little preventive maintenance goes along way.

Fishergurl most will talk of what they would do or tell you how they feel about a certain situation but when it comes down to it if they are in that tough spot they will have to ask for help sooner or later. The resort that you went out of should have never told you the guy was intoxicated that’s not good business etiquette in the first place and they probably don't realize that one upset customer is worse than 20 happy ones.

Don't let what people say get under your skin and take it with a so called grain of salt because I would almost bet that if the shoe was on the other foot you would hear differently.

Another thing to remember is this is Minnesota and were supposed to be NICE grin

You gave up; You put yourself in a situation that you could not get yourself out of. Yet, you are not happy with those willing to help you when you have no ability to help yourself? Couldn't wait 30 minutes when You Gave Up and Left YOURSELF With No Other Option.....

If you would have came over to my ice shack, i'd of helped you all the same, and probably would've let you keep the beer. But, i EXPECT the same service you got from the resort from any person i ever ask for help. I'll be patient and take what i can get...I got myself into this situation.

Sorry if you took me as a bully, certainly not. Also I agree with you about over the top negativity. They said they would send somebody out in 30 mins. What if they were out helping somebody else and were not ready to come to you on the drop of a hat? Would they still be in the wrong?

Again it comes down to running a business vs an individual who had time. Your 10 spot paid to use their road not go mainiac on your wheeler to get stuck and come dig you out. Simply my opinion, there was no name calling here...

HUGS

I have never read a post that has been this heated! Even the commical politics page.

Going up there tomorrow and next weekend. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

PS keep $50 in your rod bag smirk

I guess I started off the responses here and I didn't mean to be negative. To me, the $10 road pass is out of play here, the situation did not happen on the resort road. I don't think $50 is too much. These guys have a living to make, they are not the guys in the nearest fish house having a weekend of fun. If you were driving down the highway and go into the ditch I'm guessing the cost to get pulled out by a wrecker is at least $50. These guys can't make a living on Thank You's and 6 packs of beer.

Paying 50 dollars is a pretty good out. I've had to dig myself out of the worst situation and it took me two hours with a shovel as I was dumb enough to try driving onto a remote lake without looking at the depth of the snow at the access.

It's not easy digging out when your whole vehicle's bottomed out. A buddy of mine drove out on the lake last year in a minivan and bottomed out as well. The only person around was fishing in the open and when asked to take the wheel while my buddy pushed? No answer from the guy. Not even a look to acknowledge he was there.

Tow truck prices start at about 150 dollars no matter how close you are so 50 dollars is definately reasonable, especially when you figure in the lessons learned. 1- don't get yourself in a bind without the tools to get out. 2- don't post a comment anymore that the toughguys and born geniouses can pounce on you about. especially when conservatives are out to get anybody that looks remotely like someone wanting a handout.

A few year ago this guy was driving across URL staring at his GPS and not paying attention to where he was driving. He would have been happy to only pay $50. full-181-29673-whitetruck1.jpg

full-181-29674-whitetruck2.jpg

No need for this thread to get personal or nasty, folks. The original poster asked a fair question--how much is reasonable to expect to pay for getting "unstuck." Obviously, we all have different numbers, and different resorts have different prices/policies. From the resorts' perspective, there are clear cost-benefit decisions to make, and apparently they all do the math differently.

I would probly charge $100 add 20% for affordable healthcare cost and another $50 for liabilaty in case someone slipped in the parking lot??

Wayne

No need for this thread to get personal or nasty, folks. The original poster asked a fair question--how much is reasonable to expect to pay for getting "unstuck." Obviously, we all have different numbers, and different resorts have different prices/policies. From the resorts' perspective, there are clear cost-benefit decisions to make, and apparently they all do the math differently.

As was mentioned before, the original poster stated, "What could I say they had me by the balls so I aggreed to pay." Without that statement, they might have created less of a heated response.

I'll be headin to the big pond again on Tuesday. I was wondering if Truth Walleye and Hawg want to meet me up there. I thought we could cruise the lake in Truth Walleye's bonneville while Hawg teaches me how to respect the lake. grin

Keyks

I would have to say the next time I would put up a post on here! Most of us would be more than obliged to come give a tug! Or at least bring you a shovel and a cold beer or soda... I got stuck for the fist time this weekend on a public access of a different lake, and if not for the guy who came and helped me I would've had the access plugged for a good hour or maybe more! We never even exchanged names, but I know that if I ever have someone having the same problem I wouldn't hesitate to help them out! "PAY IT FORWARD". The same evening I had to leave the house and go to a girl scout meeting for my daughter to pick up cookies, and proceeded to jump start a lady's car not once, but twice so she could get home. I may not be the greatest person in the world, but I feel that a helping had goes along way! I hope you have a better experience the next time!