• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much is to much??

keyks42

So I decided to head to the pond today with the weather being nice. I got to the lake and paid my $10 raod pass fee and headed out. I drove to the end of the plowed road and headed to flat I wanted to fish. I was looking down at my phone gps and drove into a snow drift and got stuck. I called the Resort I went out of they said for a fee they would pull me out. What could I say they had me by the balls so I aggreed to pay. I was wondering how much you guys feel they should of charged me to pull me out? I will also add I was less then 5 minutes away from the end of there road and It took less then 5 minutes for him to pull me out. By the way fishing sucked and I also fell in the parking lot of the bait store. it ended up being a wasted day off from work. Let me know what you think was a fair price.

Mark

If they quoted you a price before performing a service and you accepted, it's hard to say it was unfair. Maybe if the road had been in bad shape, but you said you left the road. Next time have a shovel handy.

I'd say what is done, is already over with. Next time, go out of a different resort. I have heard of some resorts pulling guys out for no charge. I'm sure it depends on the situation too.

So I decided to head to the pond today with the weather being nice. I got to the lake and paid my $10 raod pass fee and headed out. I drove to the end of the plowed road and headed to flat I wanted to fish. I was looking down at my phone gps and drove into a snow drift and got stuck. I called the Resort I went out of they said for a fee they would pull me out. What could I say they had me by the balls so I aggreed to pay. I was wondering how much you guys feel they should of charged me to pull me out? I will also add I was less then 5 minutes away from the end of there road and It took less then 5 minutes for him to pull me out. By the way fishing sucked and I also fell in the parking lot of the bait store. it ended up being a wasted day off from work. Let me know what you think was a fair price.

Mark

How far from shore were you? 4-6 miles? Maybe it took them close to an hour round trip?

I'd say what is done, is already over with. Next time, go out of a different resort. I have heard of some resorts pulling guys out for no charge. I'm sure it depends on the situation too.

No charge is fair if a person is stuck relative to the resorts plowed roads. If a person travels cross country and goes off on his own a half mile or two, then what?

I remember in the past years they always had staked roads all the way threw the flats and this year it gets to the beginning of them and ends which in my opinion could really get someone lost out there and put there life in serious danger. Another thing that bugged me was there unmarked bridge 3/4 of the way out that is covered in snow. My father would have gone right threw the crack If I hadn't stopped him in time to tell him about the bridge. No stakes or lights showing its there. None of the roads were plowed so there were a ton of big drifts and had to push my buddy out a couple times there and back. I feel some of the resorts could be doing a much better job on making sure people are safe know where they are going. We had are gps dump out and get rid of are trail when we got out to our flat which made it extremely difficult and scary to find the road 1 1/2 miles into the flats. I love the big pond and it is one of my favorite fisheries that im on alot but this does not make me want to come back this year. With all the cracks that happen out there they need to get on top of there game.

You got stuck on the lake this weekend? You paid a whole $10 to use an access and bridges they spend 1000's of dollars and manhours to own and maintain? You assumed that $10 included towin charges? Then worst of all you fell in a parking lot in Minnesota>On the Ice? Wow. You really got screwed!I hope the resort owner at least came out and sanded around your fish house.

I've been up there 11 days over the last 3 weekends, with my bonneville, and have traveled well over 100 miles on the ice in the process. HOW DID YOU GET STUCK laughlaughlaugh Bonne was even out on the flats in the 50mph wind and got back the next morning 9 miles without a plowed road...Come on buddy...Pay the tow charge or bring a shovel!

Was anyone actually going to answer the question?? Other Larger Lakes Ive been on they do it for free, If I have a wheelhouse, theyll plow you a spot for free, in that case I know it takes a fair amount of Gas & wear on a vehicle, I always give them $20. Its not their fault that you dont have the equipment to get out. Be prepared, for snowbanks & Ice in the winter, it is MN.

I've paid up to $30 depending on the situation. And even at that, it was worth every penny. **it happens. Be glad they came out in a timely manner to help at all.

I don't really get how one could get stuck on Mille Lacs right now, lol. Complaining about having to pay someone to come out and help you out is sad though, you made a guy get in his truck and drive out a few miles in the middle of winter. He has a life of his own, too.

Well I guess I will be the only one throwing a number out there. I'd say $30 would be a fair amount. It wasnt their fault you got stuck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Some days a guy needs to just sleep in... I guess if I got stuck I would just pay whatever they charged. chalk it up to another oops. not much for sympathy on this page wink

How much did he charge you?

Call a towing company and ask them what it will cost for them to pull you out of the snowbank in your front yard. I bet it will make whatever they charged you on he lake look real cheap!

One could assume, like in any other business with employees, it has to cost at least $50 or more per hour to make a profit while paying a guy $10-$12 an hour after figuring insurance, and the equipment used etc.to get the guy out to you, right? Ever wonder why "shop labor rates" are what they are?

+1 northender. I would say $50-60/hr. Or ask someone on the lake or on HSO we would help out, right? Maybe for some beeeeers!!! Good luck, i bet this isn't what you wanted for peoples response.

I think they should do it for free and bring you free beer and pizza if you run out as well. Seriously do you expect someone else come bail you for free when you leave the plowed road? Fuel, time, wear and tear, opportunity cost $50 minimum.

In my post did I ever say I expected it to be no charge. I should of just asked the question if I got stuck how much should they charge instead of telling what happen.

I'll pose a question to all you intelligent people that have never got stuck on the lake, it was a first for me in the twenty years I been going to the big pond.So what happen to good customer service? I use the resort access, not the same one 10-15 times a year between winter and summer. If they would of charge me a small amount or maybe did it for free I would of been more then happy to go on this website and talk how great the resort was to me. Then tell my friends if you ever need a great place go to this resort. Instead a person is in trouble and they stick it to you.I wont mention which resort it was because thats not how I do business I just wont go there again. By the way they charged me $50 which I guess was more then fair according to the people that responded.

It wasn't on their road so that seems more than adequate to me. What would a towing company charge to retrieve your car from a ditch? Far more than that.

No, you never said you expected not to pay. However by stating "they had me by the balls" you are implying you were a bit peeved by it. You wrote it, you gut responses. Don't ask for opinions if you are going to criticize them. I'd be upset with blowing the 50 spot too though. I got stuck out there once years ago on an S10. Sucked, some old guy drove by and flipped me his shovel instead of pull me out. Yeah, at least his shovel helped.

It's got to be over 10 years since I came across a guy who veered off the resort plowed ice road and stuck his jeep in the snow bank about a mile out from the resort access. It was late, after 10:00 pm. As I offered to help, I noticed that he and his friend were not dressed for the conditions and were extremely inebriated. He explained in a aggressive panicky demeanor that he had called the resort, which they were renting a shack from and was told it would be $50.00 dollars to come out and pull them free. I can only imagine what he told the resort but the longer I talked with him and his friend, I wished I would not of stopped to help.

I'm not implying that this situation (keyks42) has anything to do with the situation I came across. I'm conveying that the price of $50.00 dollars was the fee from this particular resort 10 years ago. Seems the fee has not gone up and I would consider it fair.

It may seem at this time to be an expensive investment, but surely the dividends can only continue to mature.

P.S, I pack jumper cables, a shovel, sleeping bag, candles/matches in a tin coffee can, a bag of miniature Snickers bars and a few bottles of water.

I got stuck on leech last year real good, 4am - colder than snot, only had an ice scooper to get me out.....Scoup away man, or pay the $$. It may have took me almost 2 hours, but it was my fault, and i paid the consequences.

Also, them towing you out takes them away from servicing actual paying customers. So you need to make it worth their while.

I don't have my fishhouse out of Hunters resort but I was recently looking at their website and comparing the rates for fishhouse services. The minimum charge for any service I was shocked to see it was $50. At my current resort it is a much more resonable $10.