• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone on Briggs or Rush tonight?

I have a buddie that lives close to the canoe access on Briggs, he just called me and said he thinks a car or truck might have gone through over by the entrance to Rush. He was alone with the kids so he didn't want to run out too see.

I know the ice over there is never real good. Sure hope everyone is ok!

Man, I literally was just out on Rush and Briggs Yesterday!!! I drove on both lakes and it seemed just fine....Scary!

Man, I literally was just out on Rush and Briggs Yesterday!!! I drove on both lakes and it seemed just fine....Scary!

did you drive thru the channel?

Heard that the guy was from you area bad fisherman or even the Princeton area. Sounded like he didn't quite know the terrain that well...not a good place to drive through. Good thing there is on what...3 feet of water?

JP

glad to hear everyone's okay, I almost got caught in the same trap my first time ever out there 5 years ago, but any channel, or place where there might be current i always get off and spud bar even this time of the year.

after doing all that work a guy blew by me on his quad. they had a little path over the tip of the peninsula so I went that way and stayed dry.

anyone catching anything out there, i have seen some photo's of dandy pike speared from there, but so far i've got perch and maybe 1-2 small walleye's a night. Im usually gone by 6-6:30pm though maybe i leave too early

I was out the night the truck went through. We walked over to see if we could give a hand but by the time we got over there EMS where there. As for fishing was out there on Sunday got a limit of crappies 10"-11" with a bonus 13.5"er that was released. Also had a couple of guys that where fishing by me with no luck so I set them up with what I was using and they started catching a few fish also. Hole jumping was the key. Plastics where out preforming larva by a longshot.

Wow, a 13.5in crappie out of Briggs is impressive. Good job on the release of her, now someone has the chance to catch her when she is 14 or even 15in wink.

Hardwater what kind of plastics were you using? We've done really well in the summer with white 1.5in jigging grub gulps. Just curious what you were using.

I have been using Northland Tapeworm and mayfly plastics with lindy toad jigs. Last time I was out was Tuesday had alot of lookers and a few smaller crappies but nothing worth keeping. Talked to a few guys out that nite with the same results. Planning on heading out this weekend if plans go as planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on Briggs Sunday, nothing! My buddy fished the same spot we did the day before and caught 4 nice ones and a few small eyes. Thats ice fishing! Any decent reports? Gonna try it again sat. I will report back.

• 1 year later...

Was out on Briggs yesterday afternoon/evening. Everybody walking out, not one wheeler or sled which was good being there was only about 5 inches ice average. Did the extra work to hike out past the initial group on the first break out from the access but wasn't worth it. Slowest first ice action ive ever had. Only caught a couple crappies at prime time and talked to half dozen others who all seemed to do about the same. Nobody had much action. No idea why it was so slow, hopefully it gets better in a few days, will be back out after thanksgiving.

that is pretty usual for that lake IC...Fished it many time over the last 10 years and other than in the spring there are rarely days where you catch an abundance of fish. Does it happen through the ice? on occasion we have been successful but the ones that do the best are the ones that end up living on the lake in their houses as the bite always seems to change on that lake system. The thing is you have a chance to catch something big out there and you can't say that about too many lakes in this area

Yep, Ozzie, This is one of what I consider my "home lakes" I know it pretty well. I just usually never seem to get out to it for first ice and thought it would be better. I cant complain too much though as I don't work real hard at it and more just relax enjoying being out. We set up and try to cover a few different depths of the main saddle area on the west side before prime time and then just wait for em to come thru. Its definitely hit or miss it seems depending on the day, when its slow and I talk to the runners and gunners that come by not really doing any better time to move on.

Yea and with the hundreds of guys on the weekend that wont be on pelican I will have to stay away from the lakes close to it. I'm thinking I should forget fishing, get a few video cameras and might be able to get my own cheesy reality show just filming the "buffalo mayhem"

just glad the DNR killed Pelican and displaced who knows how many ice anglers to other surrounding lakes

Actually a terribly cold and extended winter killed pelican.

Can't wait to see it drain!

Any reports from Briggs/Julia/Rush or Elk? Planning to make the initial run out Saturday and make sure everything works and hopefully get a bite... Holding off on the wheeler at this point unless I hear 8+ ice...

well made it out to briggs again this evening and not one to give up easy we tried the same area again thats been a known producer in the past. It must have been a "hit" night as we used the same presentation and depths as he last time out when we were all but shut out but this time we had much better luck. I guess thats why its fishing and not catching.

Can anyone tell me how's the ice in front of the canoe access, message me for more details. I go out there a lot, just not this year yet

that was a little tongue in cheek comment Ken...and why anyone would want to see a nice lake producing great fishing drained for ducks that just won't be there is beyond me but in the big scheme of things I could care less other than the more ice fishermen venturing out to the lakes in the surrounding area....

Back to Briggs and Rush...heard there were 8 inches out there! The fishing has been typical hit and miss. Heard a few good reports and a few with the typical "caught 2 or 3 nice ones with a couple smaller ones...the graph was lit up but they wouldn't commit!"

• 2 weeks later...