• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys just thought it would be kinda nice to have a topic devoted just to the guys who fish the shieldsville area lakes. Be nice to hop on and share what you or others might be doing on any of the lakes, tips, comments etc... Dont really hear much about the lakes other than french and mazaska from time to time. How about the other lakes? anyone doing anything on them that they are willing to share info on? Hunt? Shields? Kelly Dudley? Roberds? Circle? Cedar?

Just a thought I had this morning...If no one likes the topic ill remove it lol. I like sharing info with fellow fishermen when I have info to be shared and I like hearing how others are doing as well...Good luck to all!!

Here, roberds near deep hole. Didn't catch a lot of fish but did catch many species and they where of good size. Perch, gills, crappie and a couple eyes. Before dark til couple hours after.

Circle, fished off SW and W side of island few small fish. Couldn't find bigger fish. During daylite hous.

Fox, not on your list but cought many small perch. During the day, fished 7'-32' most fish between 9-17'.

Good luck and don't let the Debbie downers bother ya.

Alright... I agree, let's get this back on topic. I have buddy's on Mazaska, they've been out there since late december. They have been fishing less than 17' of water, catching crappies, sunnies and walleye. They throw back any eyes over 19" and they throw back at least 3+ every time they are out. I've been fishing the general for a bit, lot's of very small walleye. I've caught a few for the box. Only caught 2 crappies so far, 1 9" and 1 at 15.5". That one was a hog. I've been catching all my fish on green and white jigs and pink and white jigs. I'm not the type to fish in groups, so the closest person to me all year has been over 300' away, and they always move within a few hours. My brother in-law is still on circle and he is still catching some nice crappies. But he works pretty hard for them. I know of some nice walleye being caught on French and Roberds as well. But just like me those guys are staying away from the groups. Good Luck!!!

Fished Shields this past Monday from 2pm-7pm caught a bunch of nice perch and a few crappies along with some small walleyes, did get a nice 4 pound pike at around 5 pm. All in all it was a good day of fishing and will be heading back.

I fished shields couple weeks back and got numerous little walleyes and few perch and lost big northern at the hole. Fishing in 24fow. Was on Roberts off the break from the bar that runs out. Caught couple little walleyes and one 27" eye (that was a jaw dropper :)) fished French earlier in the year with crappies and some eyes to show for it. Best action thus far this year for me was in hunt I took my little brother out set up in the deep hole and pounded the northerns. Nothin big but put a big smile on his face. Headin out tomorrow with the big house and my little brother to give masaka a shot. My old man has his house on Lexington and have gettin some panfish in the evenings.

How about ice updates for the shieldsville lakes. Was hoping to go out this weekend. I imagine the Ice has to be in good shape just wondering how thick it has gotten.

Hey guys, didnt mean to go off but just had to vent a bit. Havent been out in the area for a while but last time out did ok on crappies and gills on Shields. Hoping to get out on Roberts or Sheilds this weekend. Have heard a few decent reports coming from Roberts, if I get out will definately let ya know how it goes. Good luck to all!

Thanks for getting back on topic guys, there is some great info coming through here now. What a great area of lakes to chose from so close to home eh? Great topic!

I started fishing the year on French and did marginal with the walleyes. Since then I've started venturing onto Roberds and Shields, but haven't been sold on either yet. I have done most of my fishing well outside the crowds, usually solo, and been covering some water. It's a day to day battle with the weather variations we have had this year, but I'll take any day I can make it on the ice. Good luck to all and keep drilling!

With this cold weather lately I have been pretty lazy and spending most of my time in the permanent house. I have that located just off of the 30' hole on mazaska where the big group of houses are. I am in about 25' and there are lots of fish on my vexilar, the bottom 8 feet is lit up completely. I have a hard time getting anything to bite though. If I spend 3 hours I may get 5 fish, of those I get about 2 nice sized ones. They are all sunnies, crappies, and perch. I did catch a few walleyes in about 15' last week just out past the weeds by the park. Good luck, have fun.

Between work and other obligations my time on the ice has been rather short, but I am hoping to be most of the day on Saturday.

Early ice I kicked some serious butt on Shields, in Kaderliks bay on the Sunnies and Crappies.

They would only take horizontal baits with spikes, caught a few pike on tip-ups also.

Made it to Mazaska last week with a buddy for a couple of hours, we fished in 30' of water towards the north end and like stated before the Vex was lit up, mananged some small perch and a couple of sunnies, all were released to swim again. Granted the front that day might have had the deeper fished locked up, probably should have went shallower.

Did well early on the Walleyes on French but then had a period where I couldn't get out with work and life getting in the way. Lately haven't had much luck, a few crappies on Cedar which some of which were really thick healthy fish. The other night I did get into some nice sunfish while trying to catch some walleyes on French, including one that was my personal best. I wish I would have measured it but I didn't think of that until after it was swimming.

I am going to spend the entire weekend on the water though. I am going to try targeting cats on Roberds and then maybe Walleyes on French in the evenings. I am like Nate, usually solo and usually in an area by myself or at least on the outer edge of a group.

Overall our Rice County lakes seem to be in the best shape they have been in a while, I don't remember of hearing about so many Walleye reports and catching so many myself. So far this year I have caught my PB crappie and sunfish, and my PB walleye from Rice County. I don't really get it, because our lakes are under more pressure now than ever before! Maybe the cormorant shootings the last few years on Wells Lake is starting to help.

Was having a burger at the Lodge after coming off Mazaska last weekend and as we were paying our tab (at about 8:30PM) the bartender asked if were heading back out for the midnight bite. We were trying to figure out if she was trying to get us to stick around for a few more beers or is there a later evening bite happening?

My buddies were out there last weekend over night and actually caught some nice crappies and walleyes in 20fow range. Mind you they are not the most devoted fishermen in the world but if a guy knowing what to do I would bet could get into a over night bite.

On Mazaska from 6am - 10am on Saturday.

Set up in 26fow on an inside turn just off the feeding flat of around 12fow to where it dropped pretty sharp to 36fow.

Even though it started out great with a real nice 11" Crappie in the pail, they became tight lipped.

Seen several schools of bait fish hovering through from 6'-10' below the ice.

Did end up catching a bunch of Perch, was able to sort through and bring 5 home.

Crappie came on a bobber rod with a blue glow with a minnow.

Perch all came on a Genz bug, 2lb test, extremely light spring bobber and Spikes (red), they would not touch Minnow heads, waxies or plastic.

Did see a couple spitting up blood worms when they were caught.

I've got a buddy who has a small permanent on Mazaska. we went out Friday late afternoon and moved it from 22' to 28' on the north end. Fishing friday was slowww; marked some fish but didn't get a bite. We went back out Saturday morning and had fish under us right away from 14' - 20' and a few right on the bottom. Caught sunnies and crappies up high; nothing bigger than 7", and 1 perch off the bottom. All fish were caught on wigglers or waxies. The minnow would draw fish in but we got no bites on it. My buddy went out this morning and he said he got a 10" crappie and a 1/2 lb. sunny about 9:30 on a waxworm.

It's great to see some updated reports on these lakes. The only lake I fish on the list is mazaska. I have not been out on the lake yet this year but plan on going next weekend and a couple of weekends in February. In the past We have done well with gills and crappies. Was hopping to find some info on ice thickness and how the bite has been any info would be appreciated. Thanks ,hope to see some of you on the ice.

Plenty of ice out there! Augered through 16 to 17 this weekend!

+1 We found 16 to 19 today. Looks like we actually have a nice long ice season for once! wink

Got out on Mazaska yesterday. Great day to be out. Fished between 20-25ft. Marked quite a few fish, but they seemed to be on the move. They were willing to bite but they were very soft. Hard to set the hook. We managed a small walleye, several smaller perch, a couple of small sunnies and my buddy Dave (Crappies&Cats on these forums) pulled up a 4" shiner smile. Not much for quality but 4 different species on the day. Way better than work!

Heading to mazaska again on Thursday with a couple of guys that do not ice fish a lot. I know there are guys on here that are on the lake more than i am. curious to find out how the bite has been. I would like to get these guys on some fish. Thank you for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys haven't been out lately. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some crappies. I have my house on shields and was gettin some nice sunnies. Lookin for crappies tho. Any info much appreciated. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Anyone doing anything on Mazaska or Shields? I haven't tried walleyes yet, but had a nice spring for sunnies and crappies.

Mazaska has been a dud this last couple of times out. The water just doesn't seem warm enough for the fish to react. I'm still seeing them in deep water. Cannon lake has been producing some nice large fish and non stop action on the rocks by the bridge. You need to have some jumbo leaches to make it worth the pigs appetite. There was a couple of Asians that were keeping 26 to 27 inch eyes and they had a stringer full of them. Wish the DNR would stop down their about 9 pm and start checking some of these guys out. Buddy yelled at them last night. They don't care.

The water just doesn't seem warm enough for the fish to react.

I always get a laugh at statements like these.

Fish bite all year round, including under the ice.

Slower, more finesse presentations are required in colder water.

TruthWalleys,

Well big boy, I have been on that lake since ice out. Let me break it down for you. 1st of all the lakes are different temps right now. Lakes that are in the 60 are producing a lot more fish then the ones that are in the low 50 deg. As far as Maz they are not real active like a few other lakes that I have fished. Trust me i have been on 10 lakes in the past two weeks. But being the king of statements that you are, lets put it to the test. Any time you are in the area give me a shout, would be more then glad to see how you do on Maz verse another lake. As far as slow presentation, Really!!!!

Mazaska has been a dud this last couple of times out. The water just doesn't seem warm enough for the fish to react. I'm still seeing them in deep water. Cannon lake has been producing some nice large fish and non stop action on the rocks by the bridge. You need to have some jumbo leaches to make it worth the pigs appetite. There was a couple of Asians that were keeping 26 to 27 inch eyes and they had a stringer full of them. Wish the DNR would stop down their about 9 pm and start checking some of these guys out. Buddy yelled at them last night. They don't care.

Isn't there a statewide one fish over 20" possession limit? For some reason I've always believed this to be true...if so, I'd have the DNR on speed dial.