• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

dead truck on lake (fixed thanks)

ZapMan

We are out on the lake truck won't start. South shore about 2 miles from JR's . If u can help or know someone to call for help. Planned to go home by now. Six people out here, stranded. Waiting it out in the camper/fish house.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

We were pulling for ya! Glad you got it running. Nothing worst then a dead truck out on a lake when you want or need to leave! frown

In the future its a good idea to keep some outfitters numbers handy in case you need a jump.

They are probably your best resource out on the lake.

I think that all of the roads have their phone # on the road pass. That road pass is cheap insurance for things like this.

Feels good to be home, out of the brutal weather. I do have some numbers of contacts out there, but a couple didn't answer and a couple had other problems in front of us. I had my truck plugged in all night off the generator too! When it wouldn't start, I hooked up battery charger, extra battery, put a milk house heater on the engine, blanket over that. 2 buddy heater by the grill with a blanket over that. It took 2 hrs to finally start. What else can a guy do?

If you don't already run full sythetic oil you might want to give it a try. I found my vehicles turn over much better in the cold since switching to a full sythetic. Glad to hear you made it home. Although I may have to use this excuse when I stay out fishing later than I planned. laugh

Glad you made of the lake safe....

What is truly amazing is that you were stranded on lake (middle of no where) and you can still correspond to the world via the internet.

Not stealing your thread but it is interesting how there has been several posts from the ice.....my auger will not start, how do I adjust my locator, etc.

Technology and communication has come a long ways.

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Its is a kicker not to be able to start your truck on the ice and when it happens during this brutal cold it makes it all the worse.

I have pull started trucks and also used charcoal in a steel oil drain pan under the oil pan of one of my trucks many years ago and wraped blankets around the front end of the truck.

Another thing you can do is simply start it every hour and a half or so and let it warm up for 10 min or so. Not fun but it does work.

A full tank of fuel is a good thing. also as posted synthedic oil is great if you dont want to go that route I would suggest at least a fresh oil change prior to the trip before these cold temps shoulod help a bit.

Have a can of W-40 to help start truck I use that instead of starting fluid.

The last tip is the one that no one ever wanrts to hear but stay home and stay warm. I know its not the greatest tip but at least you would be at home. grin

I had a battey freeze on me last year when i was at Red during a cold stretch. Standard batties can freeze at -10. Bring those truck batteries in at dark, where they will stay warm and charged and you'll eliminate alot of problems. Takes only 30 seconds install or remove a battery. Getting stranded equals hours stress.

I had trouble last year out on Red, turned out to be bad cable end and weak battery, got a jump from a neighbor. new battery and cable ends ( I hate side mounted posts) when i got home. 2 weeks ago on Red, time to leave, truck goes click, tapped on starter, nothing, tapped on solenoid, and it started, New starter when i got home. Hoping this weekend trip is trouble free.

Not a diesel, ( 2004 chevy 2500 with a 6.0 ) started fine Sunday morning, well below zero, not plugged in. I knew it was suppose to be colder, so Sunday night I plugged in.

Glad to hear you got outta there. We get these stretches of bitter cold weather every year up here. Tow trucks and garages make a killing for a few weeks.

Did you catch fish?

I think the advice about keeping your battery warm is some of the best you can do. Plugging in the engine helps, but a low charged battery, in subzero temps, may freeze solid, and hence will not take a charge, nor will it provide enough cranking power when it's really needed.

A warm, fully charged battery is one of the best things you can have during stretches of weather like this. I'm curious, does a battery take additional charge off the alternator simply while the vehicle is running? Or does periodically starting the car only warm the engine at the expense of draining the battery?

we have in the past (diesel) just left the truck running all night...make sure you have a full tank to start

We did catch some fish, wasn't fast and furious, but the 3 kids we had out with us had a ball. Quantity of fish is not important, although i do like a good fish fry on the ice! I do this trip 2 or three time a year with various friends of my kids. This trip was my 14 yo with 2 of his friends and their dads.

Just after Christmas, I had both of my boys and 3 of their friend, with 2 dads with. Some of the kids wouldn't get out unless I take them. We caught fish that trip too.

Even if fishing is slow, I call it winter camping on ice, we always eat well and have fun. If you look at my picture to the left (my avitar) we fish out of an old camper. Some of you prob have seen this camper out on Red or LOW over the last 10 years. In fact that picture is from a storm out on Red that we had to wait for the plows to come from Westwind on a Presidents' Day weekend years ago.