• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Do I contact the Police or CO??

sausageman

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

" To people of all ethnicities that don't want trash spewed on the ice of our metro lakes and rivers??"

Plenty of people leaving trash on the lakes and I don't want to be associated in any way shape or form with any of them. You found an individual(s)leaving trash on the ice.

Then it sounds like they came back and did it again. I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from confronting them but at least learned over the years that I can do that constructively. For me to take care of something like that right away is a great release.

Take down the license plate # and a couple photos of the mess left on the ice and give it to the local LE and CO. You did that and you should feel better about the situation. Maybe you'll be able to further assist the CO if he asks to get this individual to stop littering which is after all the intent, right.

Posting videos on the internet IMO only furthers your frustration and fuel others.

Dtro

Point taken. Much of this rant is just my frustration and anger surfacing after having to deal with these slobs the last couple years.

I still have to upload any video onto a public site because I can't send large files through emails. I just won't post on here that I uploaded a video.

SM

Please contact CO McGowan out of Hastings....I guarantee he will take care of it.

Great advice. Call the CO's. SausageM thanks for keeping the river clean.

Turk....great to hear from you. Unfortunately I believe I'm fighting a losing battle.

I called Office McGowan but got his voice mail like I have on the other three CO's I called.

Update: Just got off the phone with Scott one of the CO's that I called. Had a very nice talk with him. If I can get video and pictures of the litter bugs on the river, he said they will be fined. Video, pictures...etc would be all helpful to prepare a case. Youtube...no problem.

If you see someone packing up they're shack and leave garabage on the ice get their license plate number and forward it to Amber that Dtro posted at the beginning of this thread. She is the contact for the Bayport area.

Ok...we are moving forward. SM

How bout the #$%holes driving 100mph in their trucks all day on the river? I can't believe nobody has called the sheriff on them....

Surface Tension,

My intent is to stop people from littering on the ice ....and then to have the CO's fine them.

The trick is to catch these slobs when they are packing up. Taking pictures is good, but video is even better for building a case.

The CO I talked to, said if they see me with a video camera they might be confrontational....I told him I'm 6'-2" 240 pounds, I welcome a confrontation with these pigs.

Regarding the speeders on the river.....maybe I should concentrate on getting video of people speeding to their spots to litter. wink

SM

PS Frank, I have three Nils heads that need sharpening.

Wow, this is extremely frustrating to read. A guy is trying to help protect the beauty and integrity of the river, and place some accountability on those abusing it. I see absolutely no problem with your plan SM, and it disappointing to see so many give you grief about it. A call to the CO is great, but they are short staffed and dealing with many fires just like this, could be a while until they get to the matter. By that time, how many more trash piles will be left out there?

Just think if everyone on this forum saw what they looked like and then asked them to stop littering next time they saw them out there. I'm not saying start a fight with the people, just a comment, no need to even get out of your vehicle. Accountability is key, and citizens can’t always count on law enforcement to fight their battles.

A lengthy chat with a CO and a few hefty tickets is likely the only way these people will change. I've run into MANY people while fishing the Mississippi river who were leaving garbage and keeping illegal fish. I confronted them everytime I saw it and so have many of the other guys who fish on that stretch of the river. No matter what we told them or how many times we confronted them it never changed their ways. Calls to CO's were made and patrols were increased and sooner or later some were ticketed. After the CO's were more involved it seemed like the problem got better.

What I've learned about these types of people is that they don't really care what their fellow fisherman think and confronting them yourself rarely does any good. It just increases the odds of the situation turning very negative. I was involved in more than one heated discussion that I now look back on and realize how stupid it was. You sound like a big guy who welcomes confrontation but remember you have no idea what the other party is capable of. Garbage on the ice is very frustrating but its not worth a physical confrontation, not when you already have other more effective channels for dealing with these people.

I really do support your willingness to do what you can to stop these guys. I just urge you to keep a cool head about it and to avoid confrontation despite your obvious frustration and anger over the issue. Get the photos or video if you can and then turn it over to the CO and let him do his job. It sounds like you've already got his attention and he seems willing to follow up with it on his end. I know confronting them and yelling at them makes you feel better in the short term but in the long term the CO is your best chance to stopping these people for good.

funny story about picking up someone elses trash. i was out fishing and saw a bag flying by in the wind. I decided to chase it so I can pick it up. as I followed the wind picked up and it was flying by fast. I than started to run, suddenly I slipped and WHAM I was on my back gasping for air. when I got up the bag was no longer in site.

thanks for picking up after your self, and shame on those who litter.

suddenly I slipped and WHAM I was on my back gasping for air.

A wise old man told me once.

No good deed goes unpunished. .. smile

I suggest u get vid or pix b4 n after... I would feel sorry for the wrongly accused... e.g. trash was nearby, unsuspecting guy shows up with his red eskimo, sets up close by not aware of trash, fishes for awhile, later packs up n leave... all the while ure video taping from a distance, then later u go to where he was at n assumes the trash nearby is his... bam!!!! u caught the litter bug on vid....... NOT!!!!!!

I'm just saying, be 100% b4 u jump for joy....

ricqik

Of course I would make sure the trash was left by the people packing up.

Geeezzz people sure get up tight when I say I'm going to video the pigs on the river.

Here's a rule of thumb....if you go to a place and fish and clean up after yourself....no worries. However, if you fish a spot and leave a bunch of trash on the ice....you have been warned. The river now has eyes, the DNR are well aware of the trash problem on the river.

I spent the last four days fishing on Leech lake. Wow what a contrast....yesterday morning I drove around where the cities of portables were setup over the weekend.

All I found were a lot of pee holes in the snow...the occasional neon slip bobber string...pinched off minnow heads and maybe some sunflower seeds. ZERO TRASH!!!! I loved it.

So again I ask....why do we have a trash problem on the river and what is the solution??? Let's just say...if some of these pigs are fined, the word would spread. It's a start.

SM

I back you taking the time to video those pigs! I have been silent but I think it is great you are doing it. I have 20 1 pound propane tanks from this year.

I have not seen 20 1 lb. tanks, but about 6 years ago I found 1 20 lb. tank and I still use it today. Thanks for the help, I also have been picking up trash for years, and don't mind doing it. I put it in the trash bins at launch sites, or take in home in the winter, and want no reward, and haven't reported anyone, but that is just me. 61 years old and know better than to try and school the ignorant.

You are welcome,

Tom

I put it in the trash bins at launch sites, or take in home in the winter, and want no reward, and haven't reported anyone, but that is just me. 61 years old and know better than to try and school the ignorant.

Tom....I'm also old enough to know we get the behavior we choose to accept.

02021309031.jpg

Ok, here we have exhibit A of lazy fisherman leaving garbage from the "Red Eskimo double portable". These guys were out at the high lines last Sat. The car they had was a grayish 4dr car. They left early afternoon and I thought, I will go and see if they left anything. Well, here is the S%$# they left. The tag was in the hole floating. Really?????? Take this thread how ya want. A heft fine would sure detour ME from littering like these jackases...

My 2 cents,

iiccee63

02021309031.jpg

Ok, here we have exhibit A of lazy fisherman leaving garbage from the "Red Eskimo double portable". These guys were out at the high lines last Sat. The car they had was a grayish 4dr car. They left early afternoon and I thought, I will go and see if they left anything. Well, here is the S%$# they left. The tag was in the hole floating. Really?????? Take this thread how ya want. A heft fine would sure detour ME from littering like these jackases...

My 2 cents,

iiccee63

wow those filthy pigs :P if you wanna show that they are trashing the river- youll need more evidence then that.

imo if thats all I saw id just pick it up and get back to fishing.

sausageman,I here what you you are saying,and I thank you for trying, but the type of people you are trying to educate are not listening. It's a shame, and you may be right on getting CO's involved and not trying to take it on yourself. It's not the same world as when we grew up.

Sausageman, I was one of the guys in the portable that you talked to about the "trashers" I was out last weekend as well and talked to someone from the DNR, a survey guy, he said he has seen lots of trash this year as apposed to years past. My buddy (same guy I was with before) picked up some trash that someone left behind. The DNR guy said a big THANK YOU to guys like you and everyone else who picks up after people, and that it sickened him but there is very little he can do. He said to just keep picking up and hope for the best. Let me just finish with this, The amount of trash that you picked up that day far exceeded the recent photo posted, so yes it is frustrating but life goes on. Now lets get out there and get some fish. And pick up some trash if you see any.