• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Burntside Lake Fishing Reports---Lake Conditions

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Those are some very nice trout guys!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Very nice display of fish. I wonder how many times I will have to circle the lake on my sled to match up those back ground shots? smile

Those are some beautiful lakers. I got so excited that I am coming up a day early. Will fish Thursday afternoon through Saturday. Will be bringing a laker rookie with, so hopefully he can hook his first.

How thick do you guys think the ice will be between this and next weekend? Should we need to bring along the auger extensions?

How thick do you guys think the ice will be between this and next weekend? Should we need to bring along the auger extensions?

There is around 20-24in now. I don't think we will be making much more ice for the rest of the season. No need for an extension.

Any updates on driving on the lake? is a 4x4 still a viable option?

Yes, but you need good clearance, good tires, and good momentum. And DO NOT go close to shorelines or into sheltered bays. That's asking for trouble.

There's about enough of a crust after the last few days of melt/freeze to support a person walking, but of course any vehicle breaks through that light crust, and it's sugar underneath.

The snow has compacted somewhat. Still about 10-12 inches of snow on average in open areas, with drifts in the open up to about 20 inches. Drifts in more sheltered areas, or where idiots have banked up big berms of snow when shoveling down to the bare ice for their portables and left the berms there, are deeper. I've had no trouble breaking through to where I've needed to go. So far sill no slush out in the open, though there's a fair amount building in sheltered areas.

But bring a shovel and a tow strap. And if you don't have a full sized 4x4 with good clearance and good tires, bring two shovels. And a buddy with a full sized 4x4. grin

If you are traveling on Burntside with a truck, stay off the areas where the snowmobiles have traveled (obviously stay off the snowmobile track across the lake). If you break through where a sled has compacted the snow as I did today, it's shovel time. The compacted snow doesn't fly out of the way as you run. I have a full size 4x4, good tires, had my four wheeler in the back for weight, and I didn't make it 100 yards off the road on the west side of Waters Island. Snowmobile tomorrow.

Going foward in reverse works until u get hung up in a 3 foot drift lol. Does anyone have chains? thats the ticket.

Going foward in reverse works until u get hung up in a 3 foot drift lol. Does anyone have chains? thats the ticket.

I do have chains and was wondering (deep snow and all) if they would be of much help?

Regardless, I will be sure to bring them along.

I have a 2006 Tundra (7/8 Truck smile ) and so it doesn't have great clearance, but hopefully will be adequate. Also trying to track down a snowmobile to use.

Steve,the "idiots"are dubbed so for using a portable or standing on bare ice?c63

Shelters are fine.

Not to speak for Steve (tho I will try smile ), but I believe he is implying that there is no need to remove all of the snow down to the bare ice to set up your shelter. After the anglers have left a spot having set up in such fashion, a berm is created (can become rock hard) that contributes to unecessary drifting problems.

I might add, this can also help to create dangerous travel obstacles that are hard to see, especially in flat light.

Setting up a shelter on top of the snow (to what extent one can) is preferred.

I totally disagree when it comes to setting up a hub house.If you leave the snow you'll be swimming in a pool within minutes.When using a sunflower for heat the snow melts very fast and can be Very uncomfortable.As far as fishing outside some like to clear the area of snow and ice chuncks too.Sorry if it leaves a bump or drift for others.c63

I've never fished out of a hub house so I'll take your word for it on the necessities of set up. I think something else that was implied by the comment was leaving the berms behind after you're done. Ya, I know, drive at your own risk... And I've already been chastised in another thread about stating my preference to have slush mounds and ice house berms knocked down when a person is done with them. But I have to agree it is very much appreciated by other lake travelers if one takes the time to remove a potential hazard that they made.

2c

Again sorry if I don't knock down every bump/burm i make while out fishing.I travel by truck/atv mostly and don't care for the snowmobile tracks much(I get stuck on them occasionally) but there isn't much I can do about that either.To each his own and careful traveling out there!c63

On Burntside, can someone recommend me what size minnows to bring?

I was thinking of bringing a scoop of small crappie minnows, a dozen or so med sucker minnows, and I'll get the frozen cisco when I get to ely.

I have other jigs too, but just mainly concerned if I should go big or small with live bait?

Thanks.

Hey buzbunni PM me if your looking for a sled. Fished friday in 25-30 fow with a strong bite all day. Caught 9 fish between 2 of us kept 3. Of all the fish I've caught this year 90% are non clipped. Theres some nice year classes of native fish.

We were out again today and were able to get anywhere we wanted to go in my F150 with no issues. We just put it in low and kept good momentum going and avoided the big drifts as best as possible.

Steve Foss Question - Will there be someone at the Burntside Bash to answer my questions and show me how to use and interpret my Marcum flasher?

I'm sorry, but I may be one of the "idiots" that was mentioned. I usually fish very close to shore and don't expect people driving trucks to go that close to shore. However, somebody in a truck drove between my portable and shore on Burntside on Friday, and I was only 200 feet from shore. I will try to be more considerate next time.

I shovel down to the bare ice now and then myself, whether standing/sitting on the ice or in a shelter. Not always. Sometimes. What I don't do is pile that snow/slush in 3-foot-tall berms and leave it there to freeze solid and cause nav hazards, and big drifts when the wind comes up.

Keep stuff knocked down and it gives the wind/snow less to grab onto. Makes it easier for the next guy. Just how I roll. I did not mean to offend anyone, and did not have any individual in mind. I don't know why people seem so eager to be insulted. I thought my meaning was clear in my post. You know that part where I labeled the berms "big," adding "and left the berms there?" What I really meant was, "and left the big berms there." wink

Steve Foss Question - Will there be someone at the Burntside Bash to answer my questions and show me how to use and interpret my Marcum flasher?

I'm sure there will be Marcum experts there. I'm not one of them. But I thought Marcums and lake trout fishing are so simple that even a cave man can do them. grin

But I thought Marcums and lake trout fishing are so simple that even a cave man can do them. grin

Hey,

I resent that remark grin

If you have a LX5 use the NBT setting when you are fishing close to sharp drop offs. If you have an LX3 you might lose your lure when your beam hits the rocks and your lure is below that mark. I like to always have my lure showing on the locator so if the Laker is not aggressive I can still try to get him to chase my lure up and down in the water column.

I misinterpreted the statement. I don't leave berms around my portable when I shovel down to the ice. I actually spread the snow and slush out away from the spot. In the future I will do even a better job knowing the potential hazard.

I was out on Burntside Saturday afternoon and I had no problem with my 4x4 silverado driving off the plowed roads.

I did run into troubles with the lake trout. I didn't catch any I didn't see any. Next week hopefully it will be a different story at least with the lakers.

It was good to hear about the driving conditions Mike laugh

Too bad about the fishing but we can try and fix that next weekend.

Jim - I have a Marcum LX3 and when I have it in zoom mode I cant find my

jig. I have tried everything. I hope someone at the bash can show

me what I am doing wrong.

No problem!

My guess is you are not moving the zoom down to the bottom. When Laker fishing you will not want to use your zoom because you will fish the entire water column.