• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catch N Tackle review and comments.

Question

Thank's Dave, I received my order from Catch-N Tackle a few days back. So far, so good. The walleye, pike, and SM bass are in agreement with me.....more then a few cats are too.

The Ring-N Tube & the Ring-N Grub has been producing well for me. I really like them Super Do Weedless Jigs. They slink through heavy river cover very well. They help to avoid old fishing line that eats up most jigs on the Red. With the low flows I am pitching jigs into old concrete and clutter. For my needs, the Super Do Weedless Jigs really shine in comparison to a conventional ball jigs.
Superdoweedlessjigheads.jpg

I wish I would have been smart enough to order some of them Willow Spoons!

I have been thinking on them Willow Spoons, and I would like to give them a go on the Lower Red for them Sumo Greenbacks this fall. With all them Emerald Shiners in the river, and the low flows, that just might be the golden ticket Eh?
willospoons-bass-panfish102.jpg
What colors or sizes would work for a med-fast troll in slow to moderate currents?

Dave do you have any rigging suggestions/tips for the Willow Spoon, I would greatly appreciate them. I have caught wind they are a hot ticket on other rivers, so I better get with it and see how they work here on the Red.

Thanks again Dave, you have a good product line going there!

Catch N Tackle
www.catchn.com

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-12-2003).]

10 answers to this question

Richard sent me a sample of the hook up floaters. These are great floaters that if you have to fish weeds or slime, you want to check out!!! They come in different sizes and present leeches in a way that looks natural.

They get a big thumbs up from this Guide!!!

Eddy, those Weedless Super Do Jig heads do just ROCK!
I love em too!
My last trip I lost three Knock-N Jigs in three casts.... and went to the Weedless Super Do Jig head. I fished with it the rest of the day! It is just about snag-proof.
The hook on it is a forged custom Mustad long shank with a real mean long and nasty-sharp point. It is a killer!
Willospoons....
They have been round for some years. they are the best at ice fishing, which is what I intended them for... having an extreme fast flutter on the drop and darting action. However... they do just "ROCK" on a slip bobber with every wave making them flutter.
In your application i have seen them on Wolfe River Rigs, on three-ways, and on hand-line rigs. The swimming action of the spoon (which is a crank bait tyupe "wobble" and not a spin)is unique in that it planes upward in moving water or when pulled forward in still water. This water-ski effect makes the spoon rise as it wobbles. it is great as an attractor holding a bit of live bait. Wobbles like a crank, has live bait, and flutters on the fall... gotta love that!
I have dressed the Willospoon with a 1/4" bit of crawler, a minnow head, or a couple of wax worms... depending on the kind of fishing I am in for. Mostly I now use Bio-Bait. The key is to keep the bait short and just cover the hook (which you must sharpen).
Added lingth is not needed and tends to change the spoon action. A whole crawler makes the spoon wiggle like a snake... which is not bad... but the first perch or sunnie will finish that quick.
Hook sets with a Willospoon are right now with no hesitation. They are so light, that they get "sucked in" deep on every strike.
The Panfish Willospoon size is too small for walleye. The large Walleye Willospoon is perfect for walleye and too big for panfish. The small Walleye Willospoon is for both panfish and walleye. Now... I have caught big crappie on the large Walleye Willospoon in the fall and have seen it when panfish will hit that size in the spring too.
Rule of thumb... see if they'll hit the bigger size as that hook will better hold a pig!
You also can change out the hook on these to add a trebble.... which is a killer! I had one year, that the small Walleye Willospoon and Panfish Willospooons were the #1 perch lure on Mille Lacs. But many of the guys were going with a trebble hook on them.
I like the straight hook as it is faster to remove for CPR.(just sharpen it!)
In moving water, I run a 2' mono leader on 8 pound Trilene XL. (off a 3-way rig). This works... hook sets are a firm steady long pull.
Hope this helps. Lots of luck to you!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of the super-do weedless jigs as well. Perfect for snaggy territory.

The weedless tube jigs are pretty slick too when going through wood in rivers.

Be prepared for thse walleyes with the Ring-n Tubes and Ring-N Grubs.

A thumbs up so far on them.

I still have to work with the Super-do's and especially the Kick-N Craws to see how effective they really are this fall. They will get a test on eyes and smallies for sure.

I really like the action of those Kick-n craws. Especially the way the tail kicks under just like a realo crayfish. The vibration of those legs as it flutters down looks tantalizing.

The jury is still out, but they sure have me intrigued. My bet is they are a winner as well. I'll be working them hard during the middle of October.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey Ed,
those funny looking grubs are "Ring-N Grubs". The do-hinky jigs are "Super-do Weedless Jigs"

I had a blast today as well. I caught hand sized crappies and some real nice gills (10-11") on a Safe Jig and Baby sized Kick-N Craw with Ice Bits Larvae (Bio Bait) on the hook.

I can't say for sure right now, but I have a feeling those Ice Bits Larvae are going to be a winner.

For anyone who would like to see what I'm talking about Click Here.

I don't now if the Ice Bits Larva/Mealworm is available yet, I have some to use though.

WGMSA, my pelasure!
Good to fish with you too.
Thanks for posting the clip on fishfever.com of the Bio-Bait explanation... makes me wana go fishn' bass when I see it. Now is getting time for eyes though, I feels it in my bones.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
Used by FishingMN Family

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know that I was amazed at the prompt service when I ordered some willow spoons last week. I think I ordered them Tues got them on Thurs, along with a ring-n-grub sample. Used the willow spoons behind a bottom bouncer, with great results for walleyes, 26", 25" and took home 4 in the 17-18 range. Caught a 15" crappie using the ring-n-grub, as a trailer with a mepps spin flex.

great stuff, great service

Backwater Eddy,
I sent you some Kick-N Craws... did they make it?
Let me know if they do the job!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
Used by FishingMN Family