• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thank You Waskish Minnow Station

shaky legs2

Well Patsy came thru for Dylan and I again! With all his B-ball games and tournaments I only had 3 nights possible that we could get back up for some quality Red Lake ice time before April. But as lady luck (or Patsy luck grin ) would have it, one of the days was open.

See you guys on the 17th!!!

Dylan and Chris

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaky legs2

• bturck

• kelly-p

• Random guy

If it was not for Patsy Kelly and I would have three open days every week with everybody double booked on the weekends, two guys in the six man house and ten booked in a five man house. laugh

It is nice having one person doing personal one on one reservations and then two guys on the ice for only nine houses. Maybe a little old school but it does work well.

Maybe a little old school but it does work well.

Oh how it does. When I told Dylan yesterday he jumped up and yelled "Really"? I said yup, its on. He's already making a list of snacks he wants to take, and he wants one of those jigs that Shaky caught his crappies on, LOL! When he read how they hook their minnows he laughed his head off. Of course, I was cooking a "butt-hole" chicken (beer can) on the grill at the time, so he named their technique "butt-hole" rigging a minnow gringrin

Weekend Report-Nicole and I were fishing by 1 on Friday and had a 14" walleye in the bucket within 20 minutes. Then the perch bite kicked in. About 530, Nicole hammered 3 walleyes in a row, all keepers and I managed 1. Did C/R a 20 1/4 about 930PM. No rattles all night. No fish until 730 Saturday morning with a couple more keeper eyes. Then all hell broke loose. A school of perch sat under us for about 30 minutes. Nicole was pulling them in 1 after another while I was rebaiting and throwing lines back down. She'd bring em up, I'd throw back the smaller ones, keep the bigger ones and reload. It was quite comical. We finished out walleye limit by 10am and continued to weed through the perch throughout the day. We did C/R walleye throughout the day as well. We ended up with 33 perch between 8-11" and our 2 man limit of eyes. Guessing we caught another 2 man limit of keepers along with a handful of smaller 8-12" walleyes the remainder of the weekend. 2 rattles Saturday night about 3am(both would have been keepers).I think I've got her convinced to come up early ice to attempt to catch the 50+ walleyers per day that I've heard about. Thanks again Jonny, Kelly and Patsy. We'll be booking again this fall. Terry

Quote:
he named their technique "butt-hole" rigging a minnow

Doc and Shaky's alias through the years. Toxic twins, coots, riff and raff and now...butt-hole riggers. laugh

Thanks Kelly for letting us try that spot Sunday afternoon. Sometimes they are hot and sometimes they aren't. It is nice knowing we are in good company when we find it over to your neck of the lake though!

It was a good weekend with plenty of action for late January. Hope those crappies keep coming your way. One day I will see another one swimming up the hole....in the meantime I will settle for the walleyes!

Johnny- Any secrets you choose to share with me (or I discover) will always be safe and I must say you and Kelly are very clever! "It" was a great tactic. Its just fun watching you play with your plow trucks!

Good luck chasing those crazy fish and enjoy the view out there...its awesome!

I also want to thank the Petrowskes for another fine weekend on the ice. We ended up catching plenty of walleyes, perch and even a few crappies. We even had a couple of 10" crappies, which is good to see. There is a good balance of all sizes of walleyes in the lake, as we caught fish from 6" to 22" and everything in between. We threw back a lot of 12" to 14" fish and kept the 15" to 19"ers for our take home fish. We put out a couple of 8" sucker minnows on tip-ups and got 1 bite....it was a 22" walleye. As always it was a great trip and I can't wait to get back!

Johnny- Any secrets you choose to share with me (or I discover) will always be safe and I

And thats why next time you come up we will have another trick for you. Before you know it you will be running with Doc & Shaky, Traveler and the rest of the scout crew. wink

Of course once Kelly gets in he may post more (I'm late for a dinner date with girfreinds parents) but the secret is out and another outfitter currently is in the process of destroying the entire works...again this year. It was great while it lasted.

Great weekend in johnnys 4 man sleeper. We took home 16 walleye and 40 perch between 4 guys. We caught 150+ fish and had a good time. Thanks again johnny. We had "yellow" with us:)

Quote:
Thanks Kelly for letting us try that spot Sunday afternoon.
That is usually a great place but it has tough all winter there. It makes no sense. After you pulled out I tried it there right at prime time but only 1 little walleye and a lot of perch. Thanks for drilling me some holes! grin

Quote:
"It" was a great tactic.

Yes that worked well. laugh To let the rest of the readers here get up to speed I'll fill in a little. Back in Dec. when it became obvious that both Hillman's road and Beacon's road were going to be dealing with pressure ridges keeping the houses and people spread out could become a problem for all involved. I went all the way around the lake and with Scott-z following to give me a dry ride back home if I failed at finding a way through the ridges. Thanks Scott! I found a way to get through the ridges so X-Mass eve and X-Mass day when everybody was busy opening presents Jon and me were pulling the houses all the way around the lake to where I found the safe passage out on the lake that did not require a bridge. As everyone has been able to see by the fishing reports from this side of the lake it worked well. Hillman's road had more room for the fishermen. Beacon's road had more room for the fishermen and we were able to put our customers away from any crowding. It worked even better today when Beacon's bridge blew up badly with this warm weather and we were able to tie the end of Beacon's road in with our road so the people could get safely on and off the lake without dealing with the pressure ridge. Beacon's will not be putting their bridge back in until this weather stabilizes so they will be using our road as long as they need to. Hopefully now that Buddy Hillman has gathered enough snow for his road bank to break through and become the "expansion joint/pressure ridge" the pressure ridges on this side of the lake may settle down.

It was a lot of work and pretty expensive (just under $1,000 a week average for fuel alone) to maintain 8 to 9 miles of road for our houses but it paid off in fish and happy customers. It is kinda of ironic that one of the longest if not the longest road on this lake this winter led to 8 rental houses. I just love those wide open spaces. laugh

Thank you for putting in the effort to provide a quality experience for fishermen. It never ceases to amaze me that some fisherman including some outfitters can ruin the experiemce by crowding

Thanks Kelly and Jonny for all the effort and hard work involved in creating a "Quality Fishing Experience" you guys are second to none, and Patsy is the best.

Over the years fishing with you and Jonny I am still impressed with the way you both look out for people and are willing to help in anyway. Your post explaining what's going on and what is going to happen is a perfect example.

I do have a little understanding of what Kelly is talking about, but how it all works from start to finish, on a system I am not familiar with....not a clue. There was a lot of buzz earlier in the year from a lot of the upstarts when the going was easy, but not much lately. This is why you put your money on the experience. Some you do not hear of as much because they do not have the modern technical savy off a Kelly smile but the people of upper red that have been there year after year, understand the lake, and work together, which will equate to your potential success and, ultimately, your safety. In light of the recent tragedy, would like to thank all of you who literally put their life on the line so we can come up and catch a few fish.

Another thanks for a great weekend on the Red!!! My brother and I were fishing by 1:30 on Friday, by 7 we were playing catch and release on the walleyes, had a fish boil, on Sat. by 2:30 we were again playing catch and release on walleyes, had a fish fry. Most were in the 14-17 inch range, none over 20, caught a few perch, only one made the bucket. Had a nice flurry at prime time on Sat, lines and rattle reels going off, sent one real nice 19 incher back down the hole.

Hi-lite of Sat. was catching two nice northerns, a 32 inch and a 40.5 inch!!!! Caught the 32 incher first on a rod and reel, beautifuly colored fish. Then we caught the 40 incher on a rattle reel!!! What a fish!!! She barely fit up the 8 inch hole!!! Took a few pictures and sent her back down the hole!! Beautiful fish!!!

Thanks again Jon, Kelly, and Patsy!!

Hey Blackjack-my wife and I were the neighbors you talked to on Saturday. Would love to see a picture of the big pike. Also-Kelly and Jonny did a great job of getting the road cleared up so we can find our own way out Sunday morning. The way it was blowing Friday I was scared since I didn't bring my GPS with me, but to no avail, we got out safely. My wife is still freaked out by the mountain range of ice.

rudabaux, When my brother was telling about his visit over to your house I realized that it was the same couple that I had talked to last year. We must be in synch and renting from the Minnow station the same weekend.

When we were driving out Sunday we ran into the posse, led by Jon pulling a portable, followed by Patsy, then not far back was Kelly pulling the drag.

Tried to attach the pike picture but it said it was too big...

I am sure that is also why you have so many grateful and repeat customers as well. Hard work combined with years of experience can't be beat!

Not good news to hear about all the snow....it was fun being able to go all over for the most part up untill now. Those rough ice areas can be a real trap now I bet.

Quote:
Those rough ice areas can be a real trap now I bet.

It's real hard to see those areas now. Last year Buddy Hillman hit a piece of that plated ice with his 1 ton diesel with the V-Plow. It sent him airborne where he did almost a complete 360 before landing. The landing was a bit rough. Tore the plow off the truck. Broke and bent the truck frame. Popped the tires and collapsed the truck body down around the the remains of the truck frame about 10 inches. eek No problem. Kelly B put some tires with air on it. Welded the truck frame back together. Welded the plow frame back on. Cut the floor of the cab out so Buddy could shift again and cabled the body back on the truck. Buddy was running again in a couple of days. The truck always wanted to make left handed circles tho. grin Buddy is a never ending highlite film and Kelly B can fix anything.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be staying on the roads from here on out! I don't think the jeep could stand being put back together like that:)

Accessing thru Hillman's this past weekend I couldn't help but think about all the "stories" that could be told by all the equipment in the "graveyard" on each side of the access road.

A lot of history is there.

I am guessing a lot of those old vehicles have met the lake bottom once or twice.

It must take a lot to finally decide to put somthing down for good.

Kelly, I remember you telling me about that last year, and I couldn't stop laughing. Now being reminded of the story again, I can't get the visual out of my head grin and Georgia keeps asking me what is so funny.

I showed up as Buddy was still seing a few stars and the tracks where very impressive. Buddy still holds the record for freestyle V-Plow long jump.

Quote:
"graveyard"

That's not a graveyard. That is the Waskish auto parts store. grin

One of the first years of the crappie boom Buddy and I each about a $1500 plow truck. We didn't have both trucks running on the same day once all winter. Some how we kept over 20 miles of road open all winter. So many great memories of working with the Hillman's. laugh

Back in the "80's" I was plowing out of Sunset and Hillman's of course were right alongside with their road. Back then there were no sleepers and nobody fished at night so when a bad storm came through everybody just closed their roads so nobody was on the lake and stranded. It was supposed to be a 3 day storm so i went out on the lake to turn the stoves off in the houses. There was a little break in the whiteout and over on Hillman's road there went Shorty tearing down their road in his wife's Crown Victoria dragging a bedspring tied on the bumper. Shorty came in the bar that night and I asked him what he thought that he was trying to accomplish with his wife's car and a bedspring when 20 plow trucks could not have kept a road open. Shorty's answer, "Ya I know but ya gotta show the people that you are trying". Me and Shorty were the only 2 people on the lake. grin

Hey Jonny, I am guessing you have put the new LX9 through its paces. What are your thoughts as to having both in one unit. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hey Jonny, I am guessing you have put the new LX9 through its paces. What are your thoughts as to having both in one unit. Any insight would be appreciated.

What I really like about the LX-9 is the camera does detach easily so days I want to run and gun with just sonar I pop it loose and I have a the same profile and package as the LX-7. For days like today when it is -31 below and I am staying put all I need to do is drill one more hole, add a camera panner and presto, I have my camera with heads up display sonar tucked in the corner of the portable. A very versatile unit that saves space, weight and time.

As for capabilities the sonar is borderline mind blowing, the additional already proven Marcum underwater camera system on the same screen is actually very educational. When you see a blip on the sonar before you thought it was glitch or funky return, now you realize it’s some type of bug swimming by or tiny little minnow. No more wasted efforts jigging that awesome red line…that was actually a pig eelpout of sheephead. It truly does make a better fisherman out of you as you can see actually what sonar returns really are in real time without trying to watch two screens at once.

All in all I am very impressed with the options and user functions of the LX-9, now where it would really be cool is in a hard shack plugged into a TV screen.

"All in all I am very impressed with the options and user functions of the LX-9, now where it would really be cool is in a hard shack plugged into a TV screen."

Jonny, our minds are running in the same direction. I keep reading the functions and capabilities and my mind keeps going in the direction of "I wonder if this unit could be cabled to a larger monitor mounted to the wall or the seat next to me in the truck?" As you said, It would really be cool.