• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gearing up for ice fishing

Deer rifle season had a little slower start with the warmer temps, but when the temps dropped and we got a little snow it started improving; all in all a pretty decent season and we saw everything from does to a 12 pointer! There's a few pics I took on our fbook site (listed below-you don't have to belong to fbook to see the pics), if you want to check it out.

Now that it is over it's time to switch gears and get ready for ice fishing season, and like the temps the last couple of days-last night's low was 0, and single digit lows in the forecast the next few days. A quick drive to Blackduck Lake shows that it appears totally frozen over, but honestly it is not safe enough yet to head out there (seeing a lot of tracks in the parking lot from folks checking it out but thankfully everyone is playing it safe!); Upper Red Lake some are saying they are seeing 3 to 5" and a couple of folks have ventured out BUT there is a lot of places with just skim coats of ice so DON'T head out just yet (remember you are not only putting yourself at risk, but others who would have to come out to get you). Just give it a little longer and as always on Upper Red, check with the access owners for their recommendations.

We had our first angler in last night who was on Third River spearing (he got his limit of pike, with one a bit over 30"; picture added). He said that yesterday (Tuesday) he was measuring 4" of ice; it was mostly solid, except where there were very small snow drifts. I drove around yesterday and didn't see anyone out on a couple of the lakes, and he said last night he hadn't seen anyone on the other lakes yesterday, but he's thinking about heading back this weekend and giving one or two of the smaller lakes a whirl. Sunday it got down to 3 degrees, Monday's low was 0, last night was 10; today it got to 25 and tonight it's suppose to get down to 9.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jon, you plan on hitting several lakes when you are up here or just the Duck? This week folks are really doing pretty good at Red, so the majority are hitting that, and then some of the smaller lakes in the area for panfish. Ice thickness is variying from lake to lake-Red running around 14"; Blackduck & Island 11-12"; and the smaller lakes are running around 8", but several zero and below nights in the forecast. Jigs or plain hook tipped with a minnow has been working for the eyes and the perch on Red & Blackduck (bars in the 8 to 18' depths). Few folks up pre Christmas fishing, but next week plan on the fish cleaning room being real busy with folks up during their week off.

Planning on fishing duck for sure and possibly red or both.. tried call you for a Res. But got the recording.. waiting for your call back before I go somewhere eles.