• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Name the last good QB the Vikings drafted and developed.

RumRiverRat

Who then went on to achieve greatness as a QB with the Vikings.

I cannot name anyone.

This is the problem with the Vikings, they are terrible at drafting and developing Quarterbacks.

Ponder is not the answer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nofishfisherman

• Big Dave2

• Musky Buck

• MUSKY18

Same could be said for a lot of teams in the league. QB's are hard to find and the bust potential even for high draft picks is huge.

The vikings are just 1 of many NFL teams who have been looking for their franchise QB for years and years.

The most noteworthy, Fran Tarkenton, Kramer, Wade Wilson,Brad Johnson and Culpepper. The only one that achieved greatness by your definition is Johnson, well sort of, Super Bowl win but no MVP.

Same could be said for a lot of teams in the league. QB's are hard to find and the bust potential even for high draft picks is huge.

The vikings are just 1 of many NFL teams who have been looking for their franchise QB for years and years.

But yet the packers have done it with 2 QBs in a row. I realize they did not draft Favre but they obviously saw something in him that Atlanta did not.

Bailing on a young QB so soon is Exhibit A of why some teams are terrible at developing draft picks

You gotta at least give him 3 years. And maybe a credible WR other than Percy Harvin

I agree you have to give a QB a few years to show his true colors, for good or for bad.

Look at a guy like Culpepper, he came in and was a winning QB right away but after a couple years he showed that he early success was a fluke. There are many examples of a young QB stinking the place up for a couple years before showing that he can really play. Either way jumping to conclusions can be harmful to a team. If you give a guy 3 years and he's not showing any improvment then move on but at least you know you are making the right decision. No one wants to be like Atlanta and ship off a hall of fame QB before you know what you have.

I agree you have to give a QB a few years to show his true colors, for good or for bad.

Look at a guy like Culpepper, he came in and was a winning QB right away but after a couple years he showed that he early success was a fluke. There are many examples of a young QB stinking the place up for a couple years before showing that he can really play. Either way jumping to conclusions can be harmful to a team. If you give a guy 3 years and he's not showing any improvment then move on but at least you know you are making the right decision. No one wants to be like Atlanta and ship off a hall of fame QB before you know what you have.

Carter,Moss, and a pretty good offensive line at the time made Culpepper look alot better than he was early on IMO, a few things Ponder does'nt have right now.

Good O line we had a great O line. I think develop the QB is a bit shaky, he better have the tools coming in, I think the mental part of the game then is where the development takes place, can you handle the mental beating you'll take when times are tough. Can you audible, can you be smart with the ball, can you gain 100% confidence in that locker room, Tommy cocktail Kramer only we in MN could have had that guy taking snaps lol.

Carter,Moss, and a pretty good offensive line at the time made Culpepper look alot better than he was early on IMO, a few things Ponder does'nt have right now.

He for sure had a lot more to work with. It goes to show that there are a lot of things that help dictate a QB's success. Oline, WR's, coaching, and even the teams defense and play at least a small part.

Carter,Moss, and a pretty good offensive line at the time made Culpepper look alot better than he was early on IMO, a few things Ponder does'nt have right now. like he had any business playing football at all

fixed that for you.

Ponder is intelligent, i think putting him in when we did last year was a mistake (i said it last year too) and he may not ever develop. He might though.

Being intelligent doesn't make you an intelligent QB though, unfortunately it's just not that simple.

Is some of the verbal jabs at Ponder do to look what RG3, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, look what they can do already etc. Is it we remember high vike picks like Erasmus James, Dimitrius Underwood, Troy Williamson, and others so we can expect failure. It seems to me like everytime we could go maybe for a huge free agent like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. we are in this we've invested in this QB and when he doesn't pan out there will be no QB available any better than what we got like our drafting of them or free agent wise we're always a day late and a dollar short.

Brad Johnson never achieved greatness. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Who is going to say that he achieved greatness?

Let's be honest. A decade in the rear view mirror, Denny Green (while he had his flaw) was a QB genius and could turn any QB into a star. Cunningham, Moon, Johnson, and Culpepper all had some of the greatest seasons under Green. That said, Culpepper gets my nod as the last-best QB draftee by the Vikings.

I was adamant that starting Ponder in his rookie was a bad move. Football fans act like ignorant children looking for the next big score. The NFL is tough, difficult, and fast. Quarterbacks need quite a bit of time to adapt and learn how to read defenses to be effective. Yeah yeah yeah, learn by fire. That's a load of talk when you're running for your life because your O-line sucks.

Ponder was a fine pick but the Vikings and fans in Minnesota messed up by demanding that he play immediately. There are many ways to examine this coin, but until you develop a solid long term plan for success, the Vikings are doomed to toil in mediocrity.

Brad Johnson never achieved greatness. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Who is going to say that he achieved greatness?

Let's be honest. A decade in the rear view mirror, Denny Green (while he had his flaw) was a QB genius and could turn any QB into a star. Cunningham, Moon, Johnson, and Culpepper all had some of the greatest seasons under Green. That said, Culpepper gets my nod as the last-best QB draftee by the Vikings.

I was adamant that starting Ponder in his rookie was a bad move. Football fans act like ignorant children looking for the next big score. The NFL is tough, difficult, and fast. Quarterbacks need quite a bit of time to adapt and learn how to read defenses to be effective. Yeah yeah yeah, learn by fire. That's a load of talk when you're running for your life because your O-line sucks.

Ponder was a fine pick but the Vikings and fans in Minnesota messed up by demanding that he play immediately. There are many ways to examine this coin, but until you develop a solid long term plan for success, the Vikings are doomed to toil in mediocrity.

Ponder was brought in here to sit for at least one season...Mcnabb was so god-awfull that they had no choice but to play him.

Ponder was brought in here to sit for at least one season...Mcnabb was so god-awfull that they had no choice but to play him.

They didn't need to put Ponder in last year. So Mcnabb was awful but what did we get out of replacing him? We still lost 13 games. Even if Mcnabb needed to be replaced there were other options. Webb and Rosenfels would have both been viable options for a team that was going no where.

They didn't need to put Ponder in last year. So Mcnabb was awful but what did we get out of replacing him? We still lost 13 games. Even if Mcnabb needed to be replaced there were other options. Webb and Rosenfels would have both been viable options for a team that was going no where.

Viable options when a team is going nowhere yes, but what on gods green earth would Ponder have learned from watching either of those two quarterbacks? Both horrible at their position...

He could learn plenty from just watching the good QB's playing on the other teams. I'm not a fan of sitting a QB and "developing" them, its bogus. You either have the talent, or you don't. Like someone else said, look at Luck, RG3, Newton...

One would argue that Rodgers got to sit back and watch Favre a few years, blah blah blah. He may have learned some things from Favre, like not to throw into tripple coverage, or back across your body to break all the fans hearts. Believe me, I respect Favre and what he has done and how he brought Green Bays tradition back - but Rodgers to me is already a better QB than Favre ever was. In my opinion its not even close. I dont sit at the end of close games anymore, chewing my nails wondering what idiotic throw Favre is going to do to make or break us and finding which soft object to throw at the TV.

Back to the point at hand is I dont think that MN has developed any good QBs. Culpepper to a point, but whet did he do post Moss/minnesota days?

quote=nofishfisherman]

You can learn a lot by sitting on the bench and learning what NOT to do. This is a fast game and it's not like sending your 8 year old son out to 3rd base to "learn" the game. Most of those first year QBs that were mentioned above are having losing seasons. Cam is playing terrible in his second year and while Dalton might be the bookend to Cam, the other guys are not noticeably better than last year.

QBs more than anyone else need to learn the pro game in the class room, understand how leadership works and doesn't work, and understand the dynamics of the team. Some guys can hop right in and do that, but I defy anyone to show me stats that show that more QBs succeed after being tossed into the fire versus fail. It's a small list of QBs that can get all of that thrown at them and still succeed.

You can learn a lot by sitting on the bench and learning what NOT to do. This is a fast game and it's not like sending your 8 year old son out to 3rd base to "learn" the game. Most of those first year QBs that were mentioned above are having losing seasons. Cam is playing terrible in his second year and while Dalton might be the bookend to Cam, the other guys are not noticeably better than last year.

QBs more than anyone else need to learn the pro game in the class room, understand how leadership works and doesn't work, and understand the dynamics of the team. Some guys can hop right in and do that, but I defy anyone to show me stats that show that more QBs succeed after being tossed into the fire versus fail. It's a small list of QBs that can get all of that thrown at them and still succeed.

So, your prediction is that Ponder will be a super-star by year 5?

A decade in the rear view mirror, Denny Green (while he had his flaw) was a QB genius and could turn any QB into a star. Cunningham, Moon, Johnson, and Culpepper all had some of the greatest seasons under Green. That said, Culpepper gets my nod as the last-best QB draftee by the Vikings.

Randy Moss did more to make those QBs look good than Denny Green did.

Cunninham, Moon, Johnson and Culpepper were only successful because they had an incredible team surrounding them. We had an extremely good offensive line, 3 quality starting wide receivers (Moss, Carter, Jake Reed) and a running back that was at the top of the league in rushing. A very well balanced team that took a lot of pressure off the QB. Bet your butt that there wasn't 9 guys on the line of scrimmage waiting for a running play, or rushing the passer against a line that can't block. Ponder would thrive in a situation like that as well, and until the Vikings address ALL of their offensive problems, he will never be looked at as a quality QB. If they want Ponder to succeed, then they need to give him the tools to do it. You don't send a don't send a construction worker out to build you a house with a fork and spoon for tools..............