• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish on the ICE! (pic)

Spenser

Well I had intentions of cleaning my boat and putting all of my open water gear away toady until I got a call from Tyler Brasel saying “lets go!” So I grabbed a rod and the Vex and was on my way to Red. We checked ice for a few hours before deciding on a spot, let me tell you the ice is not safe, heck NO ICE IS SAFE! We were very cautious and used the buddy system the whole day. We were only .5 mile off shore and were fishing in 6-7 FOW. We ended catching only two walleyes but being on the ice on Nov 14th is a good feeling. One thing both of us can’t stress enough it’s still VERY early in the season and the best ice is only a week to two weeks out. When you take 1 hard smack with the chisel and it goes through clean you’re not on very much ice! So again one thing I can’t stress enough is PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS. All in all a fun evening and like I said the best fishing is only a couple weeks out.

[NOTE FROM ADMIN: Lake ice is never safe!!

Tyler Brasel is with Bear Paw Guide Service. They know Upper Red Lake. Please do not attempt this. To survive a catastrophic event you need to be highly skilled navigating thin ice with ALL of the proper safety precautions. Especially considering what wind can do to thin ice in a hurry. Tyler and Spenser need to be prepared to have the ice fail. Nice Photo guys.]

Earlyice1-2.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random guy

• Chad Holst

• Northdrifter

• maxpower117

No we are not driving out yet, no we are not walking out safely yet and no we do not have the houses out yet.

Yes the forecast for Saturday through Wednesday is high 30's low 40's with seven wind direction changes.

Just because a couple 20 something young men took the chance and went out does not make it safe.

Yes they went out but I will be the first to say it was a very risky move and not the best thing to post on a forum. Yesterday I drove through the ice with my boat it was so thin.

No we are not driving out yet, no we are not walking out safely yet and no we do not have the houses out yet.

Yes the forecast for Saturday through Wednesday is high 30's low 40's with seven wind direction changes.

Just because a couple 20 something young men took the chance and went out does not make it safe.

Seen this on Lindys Facebook page its all over the net

Every year somebody does it and the result is disappointed anglers on the phone, email and worst case is when they show up loaded and ready at the lakeshore and have to be turned around.

Jonny is right! the only thing I can see is that they thought it might help business which it might, but it also could get fisherman to come up and put themselves at extra risk. the good thing its hard to access red unless you go out of resorts which won't let you as of now or you have your own property, or the river, which is eerie especially since Jonny opened It up yesterday grin

First hand experience

Initially you are surprised by the feeling of falling, and then the sting of cold water hits you. About the time you realize you have entered the water you are running out of air as the cold pushed it from your chest, your body convulses looking for air. It’s dark, much darker then you thought it would be but you keep reaching above your head for the hole or the edge of the ice as your body burns with pain and fights for air. You know you can swim but you just can’t hold yourself up with the boots, bibs and coat.

Now you lucked out and find the edge of the hole that many do not. You attempt to pull yourself up but you can’t. The loss of muscle control and weakness from sudden hypothermia has sapped all the strength out of you and you are now twice as heavy as when you went in. You remember the instructions and kick as hard as you can while scratching for life on the smooth ice.

If you are strong enough to make it to this point the battle is far from over. You were only 1/4 mile out on a small lake but now you can’t make it 10 feet without collapsing or dropping to your knees. Your body still burns from the cold water, your hands and feet have lost ability as has your voice; you want to scream for help but you cannot hold the air in long enough to make a sound. Standing is a fight and walking will be a miracle, sleep is the only thing on your mind. The desire to lie down and curl up overwhelms you as you convince yourself you can make it to shore. Your clothes begin to freeze stiff adding to all the hindrances your body is already fighting. Your mind begins to show signs of shock. You think about loved ones and want to cry but you are mad you can’t move and nobody is helping yet you try to laugh as emotions and decisions are now a mess in your head. Deep inside as you fight each step through the pain and confusion towards the shore, you know you need to make it home but you start to fade and can’t stop it.

Some wake up safe, some never wake up at all. I made it to my truck but could not get in or operate the keys. Luckily an old timer on his daily drive found me kneeling at the drivers doors, head slumped over half with it.

I was 22 years old fresh out of the military and had yet to learn respect for the ice. Let something take your life and give it back to you at the last minute, you realize what is important and it is not four walleye.

I always enjoy your posts but that one was hard to read. Thanks for putting things in perspective for all of us. I'm glad you made it as most in that situation may have not been as fortunate.

Good read Jonny, a couple fish for a possible cold walk or maybe worse is not worth it. Dont know what they where thinking when the chisel went right through and they kept going. I went through years ago on a snowmobile when the ice was good (8 inches) lucky for me I was close enough to shore I could push off the snowmobile that was sitting on bottom. Still was not a fun walk back to the cabin and pray to never do that again. One thing I can stress is check with resorts (if possible) before heading out on early ice. Good luck and be safe!

Wheeew, a little risky boys... Don't want to hear bad news over a few walleyes and some recognition of being the first on the ice.

This past Saturday , November 10th, a gentleman by the name of Loren Fairbanks was out on lower Red and fell out of his boat and he was overcome by hypothermia and did not make it back out. He was 38 years old and was an very experienced commercial fisherman. They are saying that the bibs and cold weather gear he was wearing hindered his ability to reach safety.

In water that is under 40 degrees the chances of making it out is slim. Going ice fishing on ice that is less than three inches is plain stupid. If one of you went in what could the other guy do? Really go in to trying to save you on ice that can not support this type of activity.

Walleyes aren't really worth dying over. I personally know 6 guys who died in the past two years on Red and Winnie. It isn't worth it.

First hand experience

Initially you are surprised by the feeling of falling, and then the sting of cold water hits you. About the time you realize you have entered the water you are running out of air as the cold pushed it from your chest, your body convulses looking for air. It’s dark, much darker then you thought it would be but you keep reaching above your head for the hole or the edge of the ice as your body burns with pain and fights for air. You know you can swim but you just can’t hold yourself up with the boots, bibs and coat.

Now you lucked out and find the edge of the hole that many do not. You attempt to pull yourself up but you can’t. The loss of muscle control and weakness from sudden hypothermia has sapped all the strength out of you and you are now twice as heavy as when you went in. You remember the instructions and kick as hard as you can while scratching for life on the smooth ice.

If you are strong enough to make it to this point the battle is far from over. You were only 1/4 mile out on a small lake but now you can’t make it 10 feet without collapsing or dropping to your knees. Your body still burns from the cold water, your hands and feet have lost ability as has your voice; you want to scream for help but you cannot hold the air in long enough to make a sound. Standing is a fight and walking will be a miracle, sleep is the only thing on your mind. The desire to lie down and curl up overwhelms you as you convince yourself you can make it to shore. Your clothes begin to freeze stiff adding to all the hindrances your body is already fighting. Your mind begins to show signs of shock. You think about loved ones and want to cry but you are mad you can’t move and nobody is helping yet you try to laugh as emotions and decisions are now a mess in your head. Deep inside as you fight each step through the pain and confusion towards the shore, you know you need to make it home but you start to fade and can’t stop it.

Some wake up safe, some never wake up at all. I made it to my truck but could not get in or operate the keys. Luckily an old timer on his daily drive found me kneeling at the drivers doors, head slumped over half with it.

I was 22 years old fresh out of the military and had yet to learn respect for the ice. Let something take your life and give it back to you at the last minute, you realize what is important and it is not four walleye.

Couldn't have been written better. Is that fish worth your families pain? Don't risk it. Buddy system or not.

Wow - that was quite the story. That old timer was an angel.

My brother and I fell in, but it was right next to shore and mid 40's out. We were lucky and I will never forget that feeling when the water hits your skin and you can't touch bottom.

This past Saturday , November 10th, a gentleman by the name of Loren Fairbanks was out on lower Red and fell out of his boat and he was overcome by hypothermia and did not make it back out.

Man...that is just sad. I din't know him but knew of him. Best to his family.

Jonny described that pretty good. Tyler has done this many times and after taking a cold bath myself I will wait it out. Upper Red takes a little time to clear before she lights up so you have some time but its probably time to start getting ready but I wouldn't throw the stuff in the truck yet.

I too have had the misfortune of falling through early ice. Luckily I madse it out also and lived to fish another day. Jonny words are right on the money too. I was fortunate to be only a few hundred feet from my truck on shore and did manage to get back to it and strip off my coveralls and drive 15 miles home. What an experience. I had young kids at home at the time and let me tell you this alot of things go through your mind when you are in that kind of situation. I think what kept me going was thinking of my kids and how they would be without a father there for them. Ice is NEVER safe guys. Please be careful. Think of your loved ones and the effect it will have on them. Lets have a safe season out there.

I have never fallen through the ice over my head but on many ocasions while trapping mushrats I fell through sometime to my arm pits. Now I think Johnny P will agree that when this happens your testicles shrink to the size of a number 8 shot and are driven to your adams apple!!!!!

So what was the whole point of this thread? To brag an then tell everyone to stay off the ice the ice? That all I'm reading here.

So what was the whole point of this thread? To brag an then tell everyone to stay off the ice the ice? That all I'm reading here.

I think the point is: There is no shortage of idiots. Words I live by every day.

I too have gone, in and under. Fell into an unmarked spearhole when the wind was blowing snow over the top of it. I cannot swim, however I happened to have a guardian angel with me. I never touched bottom, looked up and doggie paddled the best I could to the hole. I ended up pulling myself out, and basically crawled back to my car which was maybe 75 yards away. By the time I got there I was too tired to even fumble for the keys in the glovebox, and my coveralls were frozen solid. Luckily A guy coming down the road stopped to ask if I was catching anything, and saw I had fallen in and could barely get words out of my mouth. He literally picked me up and rushed me to the hospital where I was treated for hypothermia. Trust me, I love fishing just as much as anyone, but there is NO fish worth losing a life over, let alone leaving family and friends behind over! Thank goodness Jonny also had a guardian angel along!

Take it easy on them fellas...Tyler lives and makes his living on the lake and knows it very well. The lake is low they were probably fishing in 3.5 to 4 feet of water max...still quite a walk from the east shore and not saying it was safe. They said IT IS NOT SAFE and dont do it! The point of the pic was to get us excited for ice fishing and it worked for me!

I however don't have to field all the calls from the actual idoits that think it might be safe to head up there and go fishing. So I understand the local guides and resorts making an effort to point out that it is NOT SAFE to go out and how horrible it can and will be if someone else did. A big waste of time on the phone probably, hopefully you guys get a few new clients out of it.

I too have gone through the ice alone, and you wouldn't catch me out there this early. Scariest thing you could ever imagine if it hasn't happened to you. But, lets give a Tyler and Spense a thumbs up for getting us excited for pulling some of those red lake beauties through the ice in a month or so! We can keep those fat 18 inchers this year!!! See ya on the ice!!

Well Said Lucky Dog ... I agree got the blood flowing, get the gear ready, something to look forward to. I doubt anyone drove up and tried it. however we will have early ice! I hope.

They actually said 6-7 feet in the report. Plenty deep enough.

Jon, you left out the part about the searing razor sharp needles piercing deep into your flesh from every angle. That's the part I remember most. Pain everywhere the ice cold water hits, like you've never felt before.

Then, after only a few seconds, everything is not so bad anymore. You get kinda numb, and sleepy, and actually feel kinda warm and fuzzy inside. That's the part where you start giving up and dieing.

Then you climb out, get to shore, pull off your boots and socks to try and warm up, and an even more excruciating pain comes back as you restore just a little bit of blood flow back to your extremities. I would compare the feeling to having your feet, ankles, and lower extremities in a full body vice, cranking down to a degree that will begin to crush bone.

I only went in up to my waist. Thru a couple inches of ice. I was in for a total of maybe 45 seconds before reaching shore. Took more than 48 hours for the pain to finally leave my feet.

Sorry, but these guys should know better.