• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

late report/?

i thought i would wake up the SE MN board(or bored if you go by the activity) so i am posting a report from like three weeks ago.

not sure what you call it, but there is a pond between lacressent and hokah(at the brownsville turn off). i was tossing a spinnerbait one day and got 6 bass around 2-3 pounds each. lost one that would have been bigger.

i had been there a few times before and caught several small bass, gills, and crappie.

my question is are there any better panfish in there? i'd really like to ice fish that pond with my kids this winter. would love some other ideas for hard water season. only been here since june, so my local knowledge is limited at best.

Careful.. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.. not sure if people ice fish it on the regular.. but I'm pretty sure there is a good current through there.. the ice may not be very solid in the winter time..

(you're talking about the "pond" that the highway and a train bridge cross over?)

yup, that's the pond. the nice bass came from the rip rap along the tracks. i thought it was connected to backwaters, but i was able to walk around it and stay quite dry. i imagine it connects during the spring, but at least this year it is completly isolated from the river.

Interesting.. I always thought it was a widening of a stream/river in the area..

Checked it out earlier this year because I wanted to get into it with a fly rod.. But it's not friendly enough for such gear

I believe it's called Miller's pond and it was always a popular swimming hole in the summer. Kids used to dive off the railroad bridge all the time. I fished it a few times as a kid and occasionally caught some crappies but nothing great. Of course it's been over 30 years since I've fished it. The only time it connected to the Mississippi is when it floods and that's when the population of fish gets replenished. I have also seen the Root river run through there, but the Root doesn't get that high too often. I used to ice fish all around the La Crosse/La Crescent area, but I never heard of anyone ice fishing in there. It was more of a spring spot to fish.

I've only ever seen a few people fish it before in the past. I have seen some people ice fishing it, but I would think there are much more productive areas in the backwaters.

Thanks for the reports everyone!

I fished that pond once or twice with my grandpa over thirty years ago--I recall catching nothing but bullheads.

I believe it's called Miller's pond and it was always a popular swimming hole in the summer. Kids used to dive off the railroad bridge all the time. I fished it a few times as a kid and occasionally caught some crappies but nothing great. Of course it's been over 30 years since I've fished it. The only time it connected to the Mississippi is when it floods and that's when the population of fish gets replenished. I have also seen the Root river run through there, but the Root doesn't get that high too often. I used to ice fish all around the La Crosse/La Crescent area, but I never heard of anyone ice fishing in there. It was more of a spring spot to fish.

I had seen it like this once... seeing as I don't really drive down that way all too often and pay attention.. that's probably why I thought it was part of the river

I have seen evidence of people ice-fishing Miller's Pond (I did not know until this week what it was called); drilled holes, sled tracks, and the like, but not every winter I drive past there, and never many holes or anything.

I have no idea how deep it is, or how much running water, if any, goes in there during the winter, but that pond looks prone to winterkill to me. If so, it would need to connect to the Mississippi or Root during flood stages to be "re-stocked".

Winterkill might also explain why I don't remember catching anything but bullheads in there.

i would never have given it much thought, with all the other local options, untill i caught those nice bass. every thing i have ever caught before then was pretty small. it would be nice of the small crappies i have caught have lots of big brothers and sisters.

Lookincalifornia.. Do you ever hit up the Crooked Creek reservoir? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to release any info.. Not too interested in hitting it up.. Just wondering if it holds anything worth wild.. Heard it's mostly filled with dinky crappies and some catfish...