• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will anyone even challenge Alabama this year (YES, Texas AM)....or next ? (Yes, Auburn & Oklahoma)

Big Dave2

I love Oklahoma and the Stoops and how competitive they are as brothers. It's like they enter every game going in to a street fight and they have each others "backs".

Loved the game...it was an excellent college football game.

I liked McCarron as a 2nd/3rd round pick...maybe still do but have serious concerns about him now after watching Mike Stoops turn up the heat on him. Folded like a cheap tent and really made some bad throws...some good too.

McCarron has always reminded me of Brady...kind of a tall, lanky kid who gets the job done. Successful in college, yet doesn't get the recognition of others. I'd take him in a heart-beat with one of our 3rds but would really be hesitant at anything earlier.

Bama has been figured out Big Dave...it was a good run though!!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• LMITOUT

• JBMasterAngler

• Rick

Loved the game...it was an excellent college football game.

I agree, a very entertaining game to watch!

Dave, Dave are you there? whistlefull-11633-40997-5v5dj.jpg

Oh, but this post was started over a year ago. That's his defense anyway. :-)

Dave, Dave are you there? whistlefull-11633-40997-5v5dj.jpg

Sorry for having a job, I'll try to be on here more if it pleases you.

You guys are all right. It took you 3 years but you are finally right, LOL.

BTW, don't worry, Bama will be back next year. The only position they will be missing is QB.

Sorry for having a job, I'll try to be on here more if it pleases you.

LOL Just doing a little trolling in this beautiful weather. Actually I think it helps the Vikings out that the Tide lost. McCarron should be dressing in purple next season.

Well, I lost the bet when Johnny Football came up short for me but at least my second favorite college football team (Auburn) came through for me. Looks like the Tide is getting knocked a few rungs down the latter for a while.

BTW, don't worry, Bama will be back next year. The only position they will be missing is QB.

Wasn't it you that stated it's The most important and only position needed to be a champion. HMMMMM

laugh

Good Luck!

Ken

Wasn't it you that stated it's The most important and only position needed to be a champion. HMMMMM

laugh

Good Luck!

Ken

NFL, yes

College, NO

laugh

Good Luck!

Ken

BOX!!! I think the internet term is Owned. :-)

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Alabama lost to Oklahoma who got kicked by Baylor.

What was DrJuice saying about Alabama being so good they should be in the title game with Auburn laugh because they are in the SEC LOL smile

I suppose now DrJuice will be telling us all Alabama needs a a great MLB ROFLOL wink

And of course wouldn't you know it, Big Dave is telling us is no one will challenge Alabama in 2012 or this year and all they need is a QB next year. laugh

BOX!!! I think the internet term is Owned. :-)

You don't see that the NFL game is different than the college game? It's like I have to teach you everything.

So Texas a & m don't need manziel to be successful this year? That you Confucius I think I get it. Talking out both sides of your mouth.

So Texas a & m don't need manziel to be successful this year? That you Confucius I think I get it. Talking out both sides of your mouth.

You obviously don't get much.

Yep, I get it. According to you QB isn't important in the college game so teams like Texas a & M can attribute their success elsewhere. Clearly based on this its the supporting cast that make manziel and not the other way around. Thanks for clueing me in to the significant difference in importance of the qb position in college vs NFL.

I agree Mr. Musky.

I have watched most of the so called "top rated" QB's this bowl season and many of them have played quite recently.

IMO, the QB position is just as important in the college ranks as it is in the pros...at least at the TOP level.

McCarron was a good but not great QB...I don't see why a program like Alabama doesn't have 3 guys that can do the same as him waiting in the wings...I'm quite sure they do.

You guys are all right. It took you 3 years but you are finally right, LOL.

McCarron was a good but not great QB...I don't see why a program like Alabama doesn't have 3 guys that can do the same as him waiting in the wings...I'm quite sure they do.

Not necessarily. Top QB prospects want to go to a team that plays a pro type offense not the system that Alabama historically implements. Alabama does attract top RB and defensive prospects though.

• 1 month later...

Quote:
National Signing Day 2014: Alabama reigns supreme once again

Alabama clinched the 2014 recruiting title long before the faxes rolled in on Wednesday. In doing so, Nick Saban landed his sixth top-ranked class in the last seven years, according to Rivals.com, this one the most decorated group to date (it finished with a Rivals.com record 3,263 points). On the field, Saban's program has won three national titles in the last five years, and it began the season ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll in the two years that it didn't.

Winning a national championship in the BCS era required nearly as much luck as it did talent, as the Crimson Tide can well attest. In 2011 and '12, Alabama was fortunate that enough other contenders lost in November to allow it to climb back into the top two. In '13, however, the Crimson Tide were unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of the first-ever game-winning touchdown return of a missed field goal -- the dramatic 109-yard scamper by Auburn's Chris Davis. 'Bama is often favored to win titles, but only the most diehard Tide fan could annually expect something so inherently capricious.

But college football's parameters for success change considerably this fall. The primary goal for major programs will now be to reach the four-team playoff, a task with a greater margin for error. The selection committee will purportedly place more emphasis on strength of schedule than perfection. To that end, it's absolutely reasonable to annually expect Alabama -- a program that has landed four straight top-rated recruiting classes -- to be one of those four teams. Anything less will be considered an underachievement given the ever-deepening wealth of talent that Saban has assembled.

Recruiting rankings aren't gospel, but they're a pretty darn good predictor of future success. Nine of the 12 teams to land a Rivals.com No. 1 ranking since the service launched in its present form in 2002 have gone on to play for a national title within three years. Florida State, the reigning BCS champion, had classes ranked No. 10, No. 2, No. 6 and No. 10 in the last four years, respectively. Its opponent in the title game, Auburn, placed No. 8, No. 10, No. 7 and No. 4, respectively.

And all of this was before the commissioners opened the postseason field to two more participants. Under Pete Carroll, USC enjoyed a similar run of recruiting dominance, garnering a No. 1 rating from at least one major service every year from 2003 to '07. The Trojans didn't play for a BCS championship after '05. In a four-team system, they might have earned one or two more shots.

In the Crimson Tide's case, what's truly staggering is the number of five-star prospects that Saban has landed. This year's haul of six -- defensive end Da'Shawn Hand, the nation's No. 1 overall prospect, defensive backs Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey, linebacker Rashaan Evans, offensive lineman Cameron Robinson and running back Bo Scarbrough -- brings the program's four-year total to 16. While not a scientific demarcation guaranteeing success, consider that previous five-star Saban signees include eventual first-round NFL draft picks Julio Jones (2008), D.J. Fluker ('09), Dre Kirkpatrick ('09), Trent Richardson ('09) and Dee Milliner ('10). Two more Alabama five-stars, Cyrus Kouandjio ('11) and safety Ha Ha Clinton Dix ('11), are projected first-rounders this year. Current star running back T.J. Yeldon ('12) was also a five-star recruit. As a general rule of thumb, it's always better to sign five such players than, say, two.

More impressively, it's not like all of these players come from Saban's backyard. Hand hails from Woodbridge, Va., and was long considered a likely Michigan pledge. Brown is from Beaumont, Texas, and once figured to follow his sister to LSU. In fact, 'Bama's class includes signees from 15 different states. Even locally, Saban managed to pry away a five-star prospect who lives in Auburn (Evans) for a second consecutive year.

For Saban, it's certainly easier to entice kids to leave home when flashing four BCS championship rings.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college.../#ixzz2u8HYVaRI

6 top ranked recruiting classes in 7 yrs wouldn't you think they would have a few more titles in that timeframe?

You know someone who has done better?

I am surprised LMIT hasn't posted any of his graphics that ND school that thinks it's a real D1 powerhouse.

full disclosure related... in a Bison/Tide game, I'd be rootin for the Bison.

full disclosure related... in a Bison/Tide game, I'd be rootin for the Bison.

And as usual, you would be rooting for the loser.

auburncry_zps26bde316.jpg

3 championships in 5 years. You know someone who has done better?

Why would we be "over" next years national champions? grin