• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Will anyone even challenge Alabama this year (YES, Texas AM)....or next ? (Yes, Auburn & Oklahoma)

Big Dave2

Quote:
Why Alabama Will Win It All This Year—and in 2013, 2014 …

With 2012 being an election year, it seems fitting that Alabama has done the best job in selling its program as the most dominant powerhouse in the country.

Less than a week after Alabama pulled into Fayetteville and left a path of destruction—formerly known as the University of Arkansas football program—in its wake, the aftershocks from the Tide’s 52-0 demolition are still being felt across the nation.

As far as the national championship race is concerned, Nick Saban’s young squad delivered an emphatic statement that it is the Tide's title until someone steps up to take it away from them.

Which team do you trust the most to be there at season’s end—and to get it done when it arrives in Miami in January?

USC has already been outed as an imposter, and Oregon will eventually face a team that looks like it practices playing defense.

Oklahoma and Florida State are perennial darlings in September, but both teams have an established recent history—especially in the case of the Seminoles—of being afterthoughts by November.

Teams like Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia and Clemson are lingering, but its hard to imagine any of those teams excelling in all three phases against Alabama in a neutral setting.

That leaves SEC West rival LSU as the main, and perhaps only, real threat to Alabama’s seat atop the throne.

If A.J. McCarron returns for his senior season in 2013, Alabama could be loaded for another run at the national title.

US PRESSWIRE

But as we saw in January, even the powerful Tigers are susceptible to a beating at the hands of the juggernaut that resides in Tuscaloosa.

It is not a surprise that Alabama—who began the season ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press and USA Today polls—is 3-0 and has vaulted to the top spot in both polls.

What is almost inexplicable is how dominant the Tide have been with so much turnover on both sides of the ball.

How easily we forget that the Tide are breaking in a green cast of skill players and are learning under first-year offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, while the defense has seven new starters with several backups getting their first taste of extended playing time.

The scary part is several newcomers—guys like running back T.J. Yeldon, receivers Christion Jones and Amari Cooper on offense and defensive standouts like linebackers Trey Depriest and Adrian Hubbard plus safeties Vinnie Sunseri and Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix—are underclassmen that are already playing at a championship level.

Quarterback A.J. McCarron is just a junior—and he has looked as impressive as any signal-caller in the nation through three weeks.

While forecasting the potential for multiple national titles is admittedly presumptuous, can anyone honestly discount that Saban will not have one of the best teams in the country for the foreseeable future?

As B/R colleague Barrett Sallee points out, Saban is the unquestioned king of the recruiting trail—with his penchant for racking up crystal footballs equal to his triumphs in February.

His track record of getting talented players and developing them has turned Alabama into the premier NFL developmental hub in the country.

And for those who feel that his continued success will eventually lead to him shifting gears into autopilot, consider how he ripped into freshman defensive back Geno Smith in the fourth quarter of the rout over the Razorbacks and it's clear that he is as fiery as he ever has been.

With a young nucleus of talent on hand and the best coaching staff in the nation, the Tide are set up to make a run that will place them amongst the most revered dynasties that the sport has ever witnessed.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Big Dave2

• LMITOUT

• JBMasterAngler

• Rick

Kansas State probably has the best chance of anyone. LSU has the defense, but their lack of offense is going to cost them on saturday...might not be as lopsided as the score will say though. Hopefully Kansas State doesn't fall victim to the infamous Notre Dame BCS favoritism.

Oregon!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.... not. Oregon needs Kansas State, Notre Dame, and LSU(this weekend) to lose to have a fighting chance at even getting into the big game. The computers hate them, and with Notre Dame being in the mix this year they don't have a chance. They can stomp my Huskers or any of the other weak B1G teams in the Rose Bowl.

Oregon's schedule is a joke. Looks like the Gophers first 4 games extended for the rest of the season.

Kansas State at least has a tougher schedule but the meat of their schedule is yet to come. I doubt they will be undefeated at the end of the season.

I'd like for the tide to be able to beat up on the Irish in the national championship game.

That last 1:38 was a punch in the stomach to watch frown Should be smooth sailing for Alabama the rest of the year.

LSU actually showed a fairly good offense. I didn't have a problem with them going for it on 4th and 1, but they could've ran a much better play. The fake field goal was a stupid call also...but when you have the defense that LSU has (except that last series) you can afford a couple mishaps like that. Other teams have a much better offense than LSU, but they don't have close to the same defense! Kansas State still stands as the only team that has a chance.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Looks like they were more than challenged. That Aggie QB spanked the Tide.

There goes that #1 ranking daddio. smile

With 4 other unbeaten teams it's not looking good for Bama's title hopes.

Alabama could still miss a BCS game all together shocked If they lose to Georgia in the SEC title game, and Florida wins out, bama will end up in either the capital one or cotton bowl.

I wasn't so much surprised Manziel was able to put up good numbers against Alabama, but I was surprised A&M's defense didn't allow 50 points! This kid is only a freshman, so if the aggies can tighten up that defense they are legitimate national title contenders in his next 3 years.

Kansas State vs. Oregon doesn't really interest me. Gonna have to hope Notre Dame passes the ducks in the rankings before season's end.

Alabama just plain and simple did not show up for this game. They are still the best team in the nation, they just didn't play like it.

Well, they are obviously NOT the best team in the Nation. There are three other teams ahead of them in that quest.

Will anyone even challenge Alabama this year....or next?

Here is your answer..Yes..the 15th ranked Texas AM Football team.

The Aggies did them in handily and frankly even the Aggies can legitimately lay claim to being a better team than the Tide. smile

Should have been two weekends in a row...LSU clearly outplayed them last week, yet still lost in the end.

Bama is good...really good.

Not the best though....

Actually no one ever thought Alabama would even be as good as they are this year. They lost 6 players to the NFL draft last season and this team is very young.

You can look forward to seeing them in the top spot for years to come!

Should have been two weekends in a row...LSU clearly outplayed them last week, yet still lost in the end.

Bama is good...really good.

Not the best though....

LSU should have been beat several other times this year so if we are playing that game Alabama is still a better team than LSU.

Well, they are obviously NOT the best team in the Nation. There are three other teams ahead of them in that quest.

Here is your answer..Yes..the 15th ranked Texas AM Football team.

The Aggies did them in handily and frankly even the Aggies can legitimately lay claim to being a better team than the Tide. smile

Yes, Bama got beat and they don't deserve the top spot anymore but if you really think that A&M could beat them again I think you are mistaken. In a best of 3 series, Bama would run the table on them.

A very good team had an off day, thats all.

In a best of three they couldn't run the table as A&M already beat them once with only two left.

I do have my doubts as to whether Bama would do better than a split with the team they have now.

I've been watching these bowl projections, and everyone says the fiesta bowl is gonna pick A&M shocked I refuse any bowl is gonna pick them over Florida.

In a best of three they couldn't run the table as A&M already beat them once with only two left.

I meant that Bama would run the table on them the next 2 games. You can take that to the bank.

wow what a crazy day yesterday. Now Notre Dame will be number 1, bama 2, georgia 3. ND has to go beat USC (they should) but alabama vs georgia in the SEC championship will determine who goes to the BCS championship. Crazy stuff.

Oregon and Kansas State losing puts the Tide right back in the thick of things. I'm predicting a Notre Dame - Alabama championship game.

Oregon loses by 3 to #14 Stanford, yet Alabama schedules something called Western Carolina late in the season and now they're supposed to be awarded the #2 spot?

This is why the BCS stinks.