• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

twins making changes

B. Amish

Well, as of yet Gardenhire still has his job. However, I'm not sure if that will be the case come next week though.

Coaching staff changes were inevitable though. Getting rid of the mid-level coaches doesn't surprise me at all.

I like Gardy, but think his time has come and gone. I do think he'll make a great manager somewhere else, but I'd like to see us part ways. If I had it my way, we'd bring in Ozzie to right the ship.

Other than coaching, I think we also need to look at the possibility of offloading Mauer and Morneau to stock up on some young talent. Let's just start rebuilding the way the Nationals did. Get a few top prospects and groom the team for long-term success.

i'd be shocked if they got rid of gardy.

coaching isn't this team's problem. but, i understand why changes are/will be made.

bring in ozzie to right the ship? yikes.

Kind of a joke over there. They fire Stelly after all his years as bullpen coach. The bullpen coach is about the least significant coach on the staff and the bullpen is not the biggest problem for this team.

Gardy and Andy are not the problem....Gardy has a winning record.

Bruno will be a positive change for the hitting instuctions.

There was talk of the 1st base coach going too.

And if the Twins did trade both of the M & M boys, everybody

would be yelling that here we go again letting

the good ones go. All we really need is 2 more quality

pitchers. Diamond is okay as the nr 2 or 3. Bring in

an ace and another nr 2 or 3...as far as 4 and 5 starters

go, how many teams have real good ones there? All ya need

is both to go at least 6 on thier starts, not like this year

when we had nobody at the beginning of the season even going 4 innings.

And Kyle Lohse was a 2nd thought, check his stats recently, who Ozzie Newsome, he's a football guy, Ozzie Smith I hope, Ozzie Guillen I hope not, it is time for some change, here's to a minor tidal wave that sends Guillen floating into Cuba.

Gardy has the worst record in the American league two consecutive years. Don't pretend he's not part of the problem.

agree that gardy is part of the problem. no he's not the sole problem and give him a decent enough amount of talent and the team will do ok in a weak division and then crash in playoffs. give him limited talent like is again going to likely be the case next year and you realize he's not the guy who is going to rebuild a team. this team is in rebuild mode. two years in a row now we've seen undisciplined play and players showing little interest. a manager needs to at least have the players respect and gardy no longer has that.

I never figured they would fire him though because he's under contract one more year and it's just not the twins way. I doubt he'd be employed today if this were almost any other baseball organization.

For most of the 2011 season, the Twins had the following in

their line-up....Casey Stengel or Ralph Houk couldn't have won with

them...

Jason Repko

Luke Hughes

Drew Butera

Rene Tosoni

Brian Dinkleman

Matt Tobert

Plouffe at SS

And a bench that was worse. Can't blame that on Gardy.

And I that doesn't even include the bullpen.

Erik Hacker

Phil Dummatriat

Lester Olivares

Anthonly Slama

The 2012 starting pitching staff all disappeared.

That might be why the training coordinator is gone.

A change is needed at the top. Someone needs to come in here and shake this organization up from the ground level. I would be really suprised if any of the coaches are left after next week...including Gardy.

Molitor would be my first pick.

Gardy does not win in the postseason. I'm all for Gardy and always thought just getting to the playoffs was good. But things need to change and Ryan has to spend the money to get the pitching. Gardy needs to go need new blood in the club house.

These "moves" by the twins are pretty much meaningless. Anderson stays and the pitching staff was the worst part of the team?

The Pohlads think we are all stupid and that this really "shakes things up" . This so they can say they did something when the dont sign any good pitching and probably drop the payroll again.

Its pretty laughable, really...

See a few players missing from the above list that Gardy had in the line-up this season: Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Mauer, Span. The "small market" excuse doesn't hold water anymore. It hasn't for several years.

Pitching, enough said.

Change owners and get one who will go after some pitching. We will not do well without at least 1 good horse. Not many good ones out there so they will have to pay or trade a player for a good starter.

We cannot continue with the pitchers we have giving up all the runs we do.

New coaches won't do a dang bit of good if you don't have talent on the field. Baseball games, more than any other sport, are won and lost by the players.

Pony up the money it takes to lure top talent, that is the shake up that this team needs.

He has been in the hunt for 100 loses 2 season in a row.

He needs to be fired. He is mediocre at best.

I think the whole coaching staff should go, but Ryan at least fired a shot across the bow for the remaining coaches, the team improves or you're gone. Perhaps Gardy got a bit of a break in Ryan's eyes as he can say kind of 'well, you got handcuffed with Billy Smith's moves, so you get one more year'

I think the team and players that have been around for awhile need a different voice in the dug out for sure. I don't think Gardy will ever be fired, he'll 'retire' or accept some sort of team made position to pull him out of the dug out

While, all over the map, good rant guys!

You just don't fire arguably the best manager in baseball!

Sorry thats not how it works in a billion dollar industry, little league maybe.

Go Twins! smile

Best manager in baseball? I would tend to think that one of the managers of the teams that are still playing, that play in much tougher divisions would get the nod for that. Could be wrong. We'll see when they award the Manager of the Year............

Best manager in baseball? I would tend to think that one of the managers of the teams that are still playing, that play in much tougher divisions would get the nod for that. Could be wrong. We'll see when they award the Manager of the Year............

If a team is still playing now it means they have good players, nothing more. Do you think Joe Torre was the best manager in baseball when he was winning in NY? He had arguably the easiest job in all of sports. All he did each day was submit the same lineup containing all-star after all-star with a few future hall of famers mixed in. Doesn't take a great manager to win with great talent. Put that same manager on a team of marginal players plus a few AAA players and see what they do. That same manager would be knocking on the door of a 100 loss season as well.

New coaches won't do a dang bit of good if you don't have talent on the field. Baseball games, more than any other sport, are won and lost by the players.

Pony up the money it takes to lure top talent, that is the shake up that this team needs.

Thatoneguy, exactly! Baltimore and Oakland are great examples. The pitching staff weakness is a given, but saying the Twins have no talent is ridiculous. At the very least, they have the same amount of talent as anyone in the weak AL central. Yet finish with the worst record in the American League. The small market payroll excuse went out the window a few years ago.

Quote:
We'll see when they award the Manager of the Year............

Only one other manager has won the Manager of the year award since Gardy won his.... so yes he still is one of the best.

That being said I don't think its that crazy to want a change in the leadership of the team. It's just not going to happen for you guys just yet.

As far as Baltimore goes a team can only be so bad for so some many years before the blind squirrel finds an acorn theory applys.

These "moves" by the twins are pretty much meaningless. Anderson stays and the pitching staff was the worst part of the team?

The Pohlads think we are all stupid and that this really "shakes things up" . This so they can say they did something when the dont sign any good pitching and probably drop the payroll again.

Its pretty laughable, really...

Aren't there pitchers in the bullpen? The Twins bullpen looked ok when

they weren't overworked...

And not much Andy could do with all AAA arms. Most of them came thru

at times..except maybe Hendriks...and his is in his head, not in

his arm. Haven't we seen that before. And when the guys left here,

not many did any better.

Everybody seems to think they are the owners or coaches. I quit doing

that when my 13 year old team only won one game. It's a lot easier

when in front of the TV or in the stands then it is on the field.

Um...........Ok, he's the best manager in MLB with a 195-129 record the last two seasons. Sounds logical.

Quote:
And when the guys left here,not many did any better

Just off the top of my head without doing any looking online:

R.A. Dickey

Kyle Lohse (who Anderson had plenty of time to work with)

Grant Balfour

Matt Garza

Jesse Crain

I'm sure I could think of more if I put my mind to it.

There are quite a few manager of the year winners who have been fired so that award while nice really isn't anything more than a beauty contest. Gardy has seldom outcoached anybody out there.

Besides that, say I get employee of the year three years ago and then I basically stink at my job the next few years. Should I basically get a free pass for the rest of my career?

If the team was going to fire people, they should have fired all of them or at least fired people at the top rather than picking a few pawns who don't have nearly the overall effect on the team. Gardy was quoted just a couple days ago saying that he hoped that all the coaching staff would be retained and he also said coming out of training camp that he liked the players on the roster. He sure didn't do much to get top effort out of that roster that he liked. The team was lethargic and played with little fire or emotion. Why he allows all that laughing and joking around in the dugout is beyond me and just shows that the players have no fear or respect for him.

My guess is that it came down to the fact gardy is under contract and next year after another terrible season, they will "allow" him to resign or retire from team and never announce that he was not offered another contract. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like KC maybe our "big" rival for the next few years.