• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timberwolves 2012-2013

Scott M

Has Derrick Williams played well enough in his absense that we consider trading K.Love? He's had pretty healthy stat lines in all the games where he managed to play 30+ minutes.

Not saying I'd lobby for this, just throwing it out there...

I might consider it if we could get a good (young) SG for him. Williams has to learn how to shoot FTs first though.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• Scott M

• schmitty3

• mrklean

dwill has only made himself more intriguing when Love comes back. No chance in heck do they trade Love based on DWill's performance. Now would they trade DWill now that he has improved his value??

They need to keep both. Where would we be right now if we havent had Williams? Love needs a back up, and minutes off from the game. Williams is a good replacement, and he can fill in at the 3 for short periods of time. Williams is a tweener, and that is what makes him valuable. He is better at the 4, but is starting to play the 3 fairly well, and his defense has improved a lot. If we trade Williams, it better be for a starting caliber SG, and nothing less.

He can't shoot consistently, can't finish around the rim, can't play post defense, and can't stick with the quick forwards around the perimeter, rarely boxes out, and misses free throws. When the ball goes to him on offense all the movement just stops. He tries to be a 1-on-1 player, but just isn't good enough.

schmitty3 have you been watching the Wolves the last couple months? D Williams has improved on his defense, has been finishing off once he gets to the rim, and has really improved his game since the all-star break!!! I am not saying he is a superstar by no means but he has improved and is coming into his own in this league!!

To be honest, no not really lol. I've just watched a few games here and there when the Wild aren't playing. I've never been a D Will fan, and don't believe he will ever be a good NBA player.

I have watched most of the Wolves games this year, maybe not every minute of the games, because when they are getting smoked, I lose interest fast.

Williams has gotten a lot better, but he is streaky, and not consistent on offense. His D has improved a lot, and I would put him in the slightly above average area as far as over all in the league. He at least isnt a liability on defense anymore. He usually is in front of the guy with the ball, and doesnt get burned nearly as much as before. Lets just say, if he looked this way last year, he would have been in the ROY discussions. His potential is shinning, and he is no longer considered a wasted pick, with hope of someone taking him for a trade.

Right now I would estimate his trade value to be worth a top 5 pick in the draft, anything less, we shouldnt even be listening.

totally agree eyes!!! The thing with D Will is that out of high school he wasn't recruited and he wasn't much of a player then at AZ he blossomed into a good college player by the end of his career...now in the NBA he is trying to catch up to the speed and learn the offenses. He has the skills but it is all about polishing them out and making him comfortable and confident that he can play in this league and we are starting to see this!!! I am going to say that he may become an All-Star in the next 2 years

At his size in today's NBA you have to be able to shoot. He can't, maybe he will develop a consistent J, but I doubt it.

At his size in today's NBA you have to be able to shoot. He can't, maybe he will develop a consistent J, but I doubt it.

Right now his shooting isnt very consistent, which is hos down fall now. But if you were to give me a choice between Rubio, Schved, or Williams to take the last shot, I would pick Williams.

The kid is 21, and what he has shown this year, he has grown up a lot. If he can continue to learn, he could be a good shooter. He has his nights though, but that comes with young players. Give him 2 years.

Now Peck is a monster, and they better find a way to keep him here, for many years.

Yeah, people are ready to write DWill off as a bust. This is his second year in the league. He can shoot the three, he just needs to develop a mid range jumper and get a better handle. Seems like all his points are on dunks from Rubio feeds or threes. Keep in mind that Wolves asked him to drop weight to try to play the 3 so he might have some trouble banging down low or defending bigger players in the post.

Kevin love is a better player at this point, but he has a lot of the same deficiencies DWill has. He can't create his own shot, can't score in the post, can't defend the post, doesn't make others better and he's very inefficient shot-wise for a PF. He has a unique skill set in that he's an elite rebounder and can shoot free throws and threes. In his breakout year he shot .448 from the field which is not good for a 6'10" PF.

The Wolves actually play better team basketball without KLove in there because they move the ball and don't feel obligated to get him his requisite shots every time down the floor.

I will agree with ya Juan on most counts but the part where you say K Love can't create his own shot in the post...his first year you are right but since then he has learned to create seperation and score in the post and although his defense isn't outstanding he has improved on his post defense...it still lacks alot but his post defense has improved. Let's put it this way, K Love wouldn't be an offensive threat if he couldn't score in the post.

Think about it Oz, all his points come on threes, free throws and put backs on rebounds. How many times do you see them feed him in the post and he backs his guy down and makes a nice move for a bucket? He really struggles getting shots off against more athletic PFs and Cs which is the case most of the time.

Love is more effective down low when he is cleaning up the weak side rebounds and getting put backs. Pek is a much better low post scorer.

maybe it has been just too long since I have watched K Love play. I just know that his first year it was ugly how many times he got rejected or couldn't get a shot off amongst the bigs now he get fouled down low and he scores and gets to the line. Yes alot of his points come from the line, threes, and put backs but he has improved greatly on his ability to get shots off amongst the trees...

...and he's getting more calls because he's an all star. All of of the foul calls come when he's scrapping under the basket getting rebounds. When he does try a post move, he often gets blocked or has to alter his shot to get it over the guy. He's more of a Dirk Nowitzki type scorer than a Tim Duncan.

well if you are being guarded by a taller guy you normally have to alter your shot to get it over them...lol but I guess I can't argue without video evidence or if he would have played this year...haha I love talking Twolves

Pretty impressive last couple games by the wolves even though I would like to see them lose to get a better lottery chance, I can't complain with some decent looking basketball again. If only Rubio shot three's every night like tonight he would be on a level by himself. Its nice to see what this team is capable of again when they even have close to a full roster.

Rubio has been playing much better, but he needs to control the turnovers. Pek is a monster, and they better find a way to get him signed

Well 6'10" is plenty tall for a PF. I wouldn't say he's constantly matched up with guys who are taller than he is. Better jumpers? Yes.

Have you been watching the Wolves lately? Meaningless games, but they've been fun to watch. Still lousy on defense, but very efficient on offense. Pek has been a beast the past two games inside. Last night Rubio had 19 pts, 12 assists, 4 rebounds, 8 steals and 5 threes. Granted, he had 8 turnovers, but they still won. D.Williams had 15 points in 19 minutes.

Adelman got his 1000th win last night, congratulations! He is only the 8th coach to ever get it.

Well hopefully he is healthy all of nest season, and in shape, and ready to play. I think next season will be Kahns last if we dont go a series or 2 deep in the playoffs. We have a pretty decent team now, they have been playing above 500 ball for the past 3 weeks or so, not that that will help the team in the draft, but a few spots wont make much differnce this year anyhow. A lot of mediocre players throughout the top 20 picks or so.

It is actually fun to watch the team be who they should have been all year, and to watch them finish the season strong, even if it is to late.

• 1 month later...

Yawn...pick 9. The Wolves have never picked better than their draft position once. What are the mathematical probabilities of that? I'd love to know of a franchise with worse luck in the draft and in actual selection of players than the Minnesota Timberwolves.

I didnt expect us to move up, in fact, I wouldnt have been to surprised if we actually moved down a position. Seems like that is par for the Wolves luck.

We have 2 picks in the 1st round, we should be able to get some talent in one of those picks. I dont see much sence in moving up either, it would cost to much to get in the top 3, and I dont think the talent is much of a deal breaker from 4-10.

Who knows what Flip has in mind, but I would like to get a good SG in here, even if it means we package together both our 1st round picks this year, and trade for a young, quality SG.

I have no faith in the draft this year. The last thing the t-wolves need is a skinny teenager that is not physically (or mentally) mature enough for the NBA. We need veteran role players! We need the Grant Hill, Chauncey Billups, Ray Allen, Derek Fisher type guys.