• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck Hunting?

KidMoe

Where on the north part of the miss can you duck hunt? is it based on city laws or is it simply the 500ft from structure rule? I ask because i've seen a lot of ducks and geese all year up from the CR dam to elk river and i'm wondering if any of it is huntable.

Appreciate any help you might have.

There are portions you can hunt and portions you can not pretty much closed from Otsego to almost Dayton . You would have too contact the area CO to find out exactly what is legal to hunt. That's probably your best bet .a lot of the Monticello portion of the river is closed to hunting as well.

I've never been hunting in my life so I know nothing about the rules, but I know a few fellas who do very well up north of the Sartell dam. I don't know where they go, but I know it's not all that far north--nowhere near Royalton, anyways. One guy claims to hunt right from his dock. Either way, I know that there are ducks up here, and I know that some people shoot quite a few of them. That's about all the help I can give. smile

I've never been hunting in my life so I know nothing about the rules, but I know a few fellas who do very well up north of the Sartell dam. I don't know where they go, but I know it's not all that far north--nowhere near Royalton, anyways. One guy claims to hunt right from his dock. Either way, I know that there are ducks up here, and I know that some people shoot quite a few of them. That's about all the help I can give. smile

Thanks Mike I have always wanted to head to the Royalton area for quackers then pitch a few jigs for some eyes

Thanks Mike I have always wanted to head to the Royalton area for quackers then pitch a few jigs for some eyes

Just drift and shoot grin. Fun way to spend an afternoon

Is that legal?!? smile

But yes, Gordie, guys this time of year can get both ducks and walleyes. The fellas I know shooting ducks are fishing well south of Royalton, but I'm sure there are ducks up that far, too. And there are walleyes a bit south, so you might be in luck both ways!

From page 9 of the waterfowl reg book (I didn't have time to look up the statute this morning).

Taking in Open Water

A person may not take migratory waterfowl, coots, or rails in open water unless that person is:

a) within a natural growth of vegetation sufficient to partially conceal

the person or boat, or

B) pursuing or shooting wounded birds (while in compliance with

watercraft restrictions), or

c) on a river or stream that is not more than 100 yards in width.

A person may not take migratory waterfowl, coots, or rails in open water unless that person is on a river or stream that is not more than 100 yards in width.

I had to read that like 15 times. Maybe they could hire people to write regulations that I could easily understand.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

We had an event up out of royalton last saturday and the water is crazy low again. A few duck and goose hunters were out and probably not to happy that the smally hunters were out and about. We did hear shooting tho so maybe they scored.

Where on the north part of the miss can you duck hunt? is it based on city laws or is it simply the 500ft from structure rule? I ask because i've seen a lot of ducks and geese all year up from the CR dam to elk river and i'm wondering if any of it is huntable.

Appreciate any help you might have.

Hard to find many spots that would be 500' friendly on most of the stretch between the CR Dam and Elk River and have ducks co-operating to. Folks don't take too kindly to shot raining on their houses, kids and dogs.

A person may not take migratory waterfowl, coots, or rails in open water unless that person is on a river or stream that is not more than 100 yards in width.

I had to read that like 15 times. Maybe they could hire people to write regulations that I could easily understand.

Same problem, Snag. I'm still not sure I understand, but since I'm not a hunter, I don't really care! smile

Quote:
c) on a river or stream that is not more than 100 yards in width.

Boy, I dont know of too many stretches that are NOT 100 yds in width on the Miss from from St Cloud downstream. And plenty of stretches above that to Royalton and even beyond.

Might want to rethink doing a float hunt on the Miss.....

WOW, I didn't mean to ruffle so many peoples feathers with my little comment! I will reword it, Shoot in the morning (under cover of course) and driftthe shorelines for fish in the afternoon wink

Lot's of ducks up there late season. One of the best spots in the state after freeze up.

Go out at shooting time and head up river from the Dayton landing mark where people are setup on a gps and listen for shooting. Go as far as you can upriver but go slow and watch out for rocks as there are a ton of them. Come back and drive further up river and do the same. You should have a bunch of spots to hunt if you spend one day doing this. Plan on getting out there early early when you go hunting as competition for spots is fierce. AGAIN WATCH OUT FOR ROCKS AND PREPARE FOR THEM!

Good Luck!

I don't know if we have to compromise here, Rick. Can a person fish while concealed?

Maybe get a bobber that looks like a decoy? smile

Taking in Open Water

Wording has a play on every thing just have to diesect it wink

This reads goofy but if the river less than a 100 yards you can float it.

if it is wider than 100 yards you can not float and shoot .

Would be vary nice to have it written in hunter terms like you can float if or you can not float if: but that would be to hard for the people that do not hunt to figure out.

Another thing is that the 500 ft rule does not apply when when you are on the water, except that city ordances may apply and common sense needs to come into play.

I am not seeing the difficulty in that reg.... If the waterway is over 100 yds, you cannot legally do a float hunt... Whats so difficult about that?

Agree, that there are other questionable things as you mention regarding 500 ft from a house.

Bottom line,,, easy to say float hunting the Miss is NOT an option from little falls downstream to the Coon Rapids dam in 98% of the river..... Well, 98% is a SWAG, but I wish anyone luck trying to pull it off regardless. Float hunting is meant for small meandering streams/small rivers where you can sneak on birds around bends and cover.. The ole Miss doesnt give you much of any of that...

i believe the 500 ft rule does apply also

I emailed the DNR on this and this is what was sent to me,

Good Afternoon

The 500 ft rule from a dwelling does not apply if on the water.

The 500 ft rule from shooting near live stock does still apply even if on water.

jim