• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

22 Rifle for my boys

erikwells

Any suggestions on getting the boys their first rifle. I want to be able to shoot some targets but would also like to be able to hunt rabbit and handle the occasional varmit in need of control. I looked at a Marlin 10 22 semi auto. I was thinking of starting the boys out with this and maybe graduating on to a scope later (I guess I'll see how open sights goes first). It appears this gun new is around 150.00 or so. Anyone have any suggestions for me in terms of getting the boys started off on the right foot (things that worked well and maybe some things that turned out to be a bad idea)?

Also if anyone knows or has a 22 that they are no longer using and may like to sell please let me know that as well. As always, thank you, Erik.

The 10/22 is Ruger, and a good choice. Nice additions for that rifle too, clips, barrels, etc. I got that for my grandsons several years ago, and of course one for myself wink Nice easy to use and fairly accurate choice.

The old Springfield semi-auto .22, not sure of model, is good choice as well. My grandpa gave me that for my first rifle and it still works great today.

The Ruger is clip fed and the Marlin can be bought with either a clip or a tubular magazine. When my son was younger he had a very hard time loading the clips so I bought him the Marlin 60 with the tube and he liked that a lot better. I also bought him a rifle rest so he didn't have to hold the gun when he was younger and we had/have a blast shooting together. Don't forget the ear and eye protection. I took baby wipes along to wipe the residue off his hands right after we were done shooting. The only bad idea I had was I didn't bring enough ammo the first few times out!

Henry lever action is a sweet little .22 and it does come in a youth size.......

Do your boys a real favor and start them off on a basic single shot bolt action .22. It is safer. It will teach them to make the FIRST shot count. When they graduate to something more sophisticated they will appreciate it more.

Teaching that FIRST shot thing is the most important. We already have too many people who like to blaze away smokin' up the woods with as many rounds as they can get off.

Do your boys a real favor and start them off on a basic single shot bolt action .22. It is safer. It will teach them to make the FIRST shot count. When they graduate to something more sophisticated they will appreciate it more.

Teaching that FIRST shot thing is the most important. We already have too many people who like to blaze away smokin' up the woods with as many rounds as they can get off.

+1 this is what I did and They both have autos now but still prefer shooting the old single shots bolt actions and it really does make them think of the shot.

I picked up a mossberg plinkster bolt action for my nephew last fall for $100 brand new. It is a nice gun. I would look at either the single shot or a bolt action. The semi auto is nice, but I agree with the above on making first shots count. Way too easy with the ruger to fire away and just throw lead. I had a 10-22 at one time and it was one of the most finnicky guns I ever owned. I believe it was just the gun as every one else that has a 10-22 loves them.

I've had a marlin model 60 for twenty years now it was my first gun, and it still shots great but I upgraded the scope to a 3x9x40. If I was looking to buy another 22lr I would buy a savage bolt action with the accu-trigger I have that gun in a 22 mag and it is real accurate and the most bang for your buck. If you want to teach them to make there shot count just give them one shell at a time.

I agree with this. I also own a ruger 10/22 and it's a fine gun.

Do your boys a real favor and start them off on a basic single shot bolt action .22. It is safer. It will teach them to make the FIRST shot count. When they graduate to something more sophisticated they will appr

eciate it more.

Definatly go with a single-shot bolt action & open sights. They will thank you later! I have a Marlin 780 w/ a clip & a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. The kids always want to shoot the Mossberg with the semi-auto but I have told them they need to master the Marlin 1st. I think having to cycle the bolt with each shot makes you have to pay more attention to detail. 2c

I bought my son one of the Cricket single shot bolt action 22's for his first gun and then later he graduated up to claiming my ruger 10/22 as his gun.My first 22 was a magazine fed Winchester semi auto and that was a great gun too. Whether it is a single shot, a tube fed, clip, lever action or pump it will be the memories you make and not how it loads that will last them a life time.

My first was a 10/22 also. 2nd best gun I ever owned next to my 870. I've shot around 30,000 rounds through it and it still cycles rounds like its new. Tons of fun for a young man growing up in the sticks.

Take a look at the Browning BL-22, Grade I. I grew up with this 22 squirrl hunting and target shooting. I'm now introducing it to my 9 year old daughter. Yep...second generation!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what my dad did for me (was 8) and then after I had this for like four years he bought me a semi auto and I still prefer my bolt

Savage mark 2 w/o bold barrel

Dead on gun

You might look at the Savage Rascal. Single shot bolt, no magazine, peep sights (but drilled and tapped) and AccuTrigger. MSRP is under $200 for synthetic stocks.

If you're handy, you could put the barrel and action on an adult-sized stock as they get older, since the gun's accuracy will probably always match their skill level.