• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nuke plant

Swamp_Gas

Greetings all. I am a newbie to this site but not so new on the river. I have heard of guys getting messed with by guards at the plant. I have never had any experience with guards over several years of drifting past. Until last week. I was minding my own business when one days I needed to "move along". I politely informed him that I wasn't anchored or even "slipping" the current. I was simply drifting at the mercy of the river. He shouted back that I needed to move along faster.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Yesterday I did the same thing with a 5# catfish on my line as I drifted by. Nobody felt the need to harrass me then.

I realize they have a job to do.

Yea I have been asked to move along at a faster pace a few times. Just depends on which guys are working it seems.

I often times see the guards scurry out in their vehicles and onto the catwalk thingy as I float by. Gives them something to do. In all the years they've been operational I don't believe there has ever been a single incident. Guys are probably bored and looking for somebody to harass.

I do believe that their security cameras are networked into a national security center and often times the local guards get radioed in by the "feds" to ask somebody move along. So some of it is out of there control.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

most likely whos on duty, maybe just one guy feeling the power? who knows. there was a guy at the sartell papermill that always had a cow when we fished right at the dam. he'd scream and hollar and threaten us. thought he owned the river on the east side down to the first bridge. one day I told him to shut up or I will call the Sartell police. he mellowed out after that lol

At the Nuke plant twice told to move along by guys with M-16's, that count? And EG wasn't even with me. wink

I knew I wasn't the only one. I don't mind getting watched. If I'm gonna get yelled at I might as well be anchored and give them a real reason.

Is there some law that says you can't stick around, anchored by the plant?

Is there some law that says you can't stick around, anchored by the plant?

it is posted on the banks that you can't anchor with in 500 feet of the discharge area both up river and down river. the cameras are tied to the national defense center. I don't remember if it was on here or someplace else but a guard that worked at the plant was yelled at by his fellow guards for going to slow and hanging in the area to long. the thing that sucks is years ago you could go right to the guard shack and sign in an they would let you drive down to the discharge area and fish all you wanted to.

What of one happened to anchor 501 at feet? Just to prove a point. Measured with a range finder of course. Like I said they do have a job to do and it all rolls down hill. But they are not peace officers.

a little further upstream from the plant is a trail that goes right down to the river. We used to go there quite often and fish smallies from the bank...had some excellent smallie fishing there!

The after 9/11 we went down there not knowing the full extent of what was going on. We had our lines in the water for a few minutes when we were surrounded by the guys and their AK's. They were nice enough about it...just asked for our ID's and then sent us on our way. I know a lot of guys used to fish that discharge area. Now you cant. When you could...I always found the fishing to be better elsewhere anyway. So, we usually just avoid that area anyway and fish upstream from there when we are in the boat.

if they were carrying Ak's I would be worried, m4's or m16's on the other hand at least I know they are ours...lol

Never been bothered by them, maybe they just take one look at me and think he is to fat to get to far anyway we will let him fish. I tend to not hang out by the discharge anyway it is a nursery, the intake grates... well that is a different story.

What of one happened to anchor 501 at feet? Just to prove a point. Measured with a range finder of course. Like I said they do have a job to do and it all rolls down hill. But they are not peace officers.

What point is it that you're trying to prove? That you're some sort of radical or tough guy for messing with fellows charged to protect a nuclear facility?

the thing that sucks is years ago you could go right to the guard shack and sign in an they would let you drive down to the discharge area and fish all you wanted to.

That was before freedom was traded for (perceived) safety/security.

I was not trying to prove anything. Sorry if anyone took offense. like I said, I know they jabber a job to do

I didn't take offense, just trying to understand the point of anchoring 1ft past the boundary. I apologize for the radical/tough guy thing, it was unnecessary to the point of my question.

At the Nuke plant twice told to move along by guys with M-16's, that count? And EG wasn't even with me. wink

If I would have been with you Jim they would have asked us to slow down and brought us a cold beer of our choosing. ;>)

If I would have been with you Jim they would have asked us to slow down and brought us a cold beer of our choosing. ;>)

A 28 pack of cold beer has made the trip to Monti many times with my old neighbor in RF1.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they will harass you if have young kids with you. My understanding is that they don't think a grown man should fish there. grin

I don't think they will harass you if have young kids with you. My understanding is that they don't think a grown man should fish there. grin

HT-

Sherry just walked outta her office to see what I was laughing about...Well Done sir

• 2 weeks later...

The guards at the nuke plant are the sloppiest gun handlers you will ever see.

Having personally witness more than one guard stick his finger in the flash hider of his M4 to adjust the position of the gun in his 3 point sling.

Also most of the guards do not even have magazines in their guns.

Going through Security to make deliveries when I worked for UPS was a pain in the rear end until they built the Shipping and Receiving building outside the security perimeter.

Having personally witness more than one guard stick his finger in the flash hider of his M4 to adjust the position of the gun in his 3 point sling.

hence the reason for no magazine?? ;>)

Having personally witness more than one guard stick his finger in the flash hider of his M4 to adjust the position of the gun in his 3 point sling.hence the reason for no magazine?? ;>)

Barney of Mayberry,only 1 bullet is given each guard.It has to stay in the ammo belt till really threatened.

Barney of Mayberry,only 1 bullet is given each guard.It has to stay in the ammo belt till really threatened.

EG coming by with a 1/2 oz football jig and a watermelon tube and there could be..................lead flying. wink

EG coming by with a 1/2 oz football jig and a watermelon tube and there could be..................lead flying.

BWAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAA....

One bullet in the belt makes sence in case something did happen.

HT-

Sherry just walked outta her office to see what I was laughing about...Well Done sir

KT, Glad to put a smile on your face!:D