• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bowflex workout gym

tacklejunkie

Question

After over 30 some years of going to a gym, I'd like to get something for home. I seen these machines but don't know anyone who has one. Anyone have/had one and what's your opinion on getting one?

11 answers to this question

I bought one back in 2002. Great buy. I don't use it as much as i should, but i'll never sell it either. Lifetime part replacement. grin I broke a seat, few rods, etc...Call em up and parts are on their way.

Also, when i bought the bowflex, i was lifting weights every day. The first time i used one, i got SUPER SORE, and that was being quite conditioned to working out daily. That made my decision to buy very easy! Bowflex will strenghten more muscles than free weights will. You aren't using momentum like with free weights.

Typically, i like to do 4-8 second reps. Example would be bench press - Slow count to 4 seconds as you go up, and 4s as you go down.

You'll like the bowflex. Burns fat. I'll never get rid of mine.

I have the origional PowerPro version. That sounds like the right version, but that also sounds like the fishing line i use. grin

i bought a bowflex a few years ago. not the newer models that are out now. the flexible bars are nice for different resistance applications. the bowflex does work but as in many of these excersise equipment mashines you have to use it. good luck.

I used one for a few years.

Starting off, I found it gave me great results...along with previous posts, I was crazy sore the first few times I gave it a go. I did make gains strength and stamina wise.

A few things I found annoying: (NOTE, I used the original model, not sure whats out there anymore)

1) Space, you need a lot of room for that wingspan of those rods.

2) Noise, I found the rods shifting against one another and shaking to be rather obnoxious

3)on exercises like bench press, I maxed out the weight possible within 6 months doing 8-10reps for 3 sets. This was slightly obnoxious, however I have since learned to lift differently and I think I'd be fine again.

All in all I thought the machine itself was cool, and in retrospect, I think its a very useful machine. When/if you buy one, make sure to focus on form and the pace of your lifts and I have no doubt you'll love it.

cheers

When/if you buy one, make sure to focus on form and the pace of your lifts and I have no doubt you'll love it.

cheers

Exactly...Slower is better. It requires you to use multiple muscles to "Stabalize" yourself while you do a slow rep.

LIke That Guy said, at a max of 250lbs, it is easy to max the machine. But slower reps and more reps at a lower weight will get you further than pressing as fast as possible like often seen doing free weights.

I like the ab workouts too. The machine is pretty flexible and you can do many different types of lifts for each muscle group. Pick the ones that feel the best to you. Some i can't do because of bad shoulders or due to a goofy motion that just doesn't work with my beat up joints.

I picked up a used one today. I got to try it out and really like it and it seems better for my 52 year old joints. Thanks for the replies, guys

You all are right about free weights verses the Bowflex. It's taken a little getting used to as I've done free weights for several decades but I've been sore like I've never lifted before. It's great!! No more gym for me and the crowds

I used one for a while, better than nothing but definitely not free weights. It's basically an upper-body machine and leaves out the most important core exercises that work and strengthen your whole body (squats, deadlifts). Hard to lift heavy things with big arms and a weak back/legs. If you refuse to go to the gym though I'd say go for it, much better than nothing!

Well, to revisit this thread I have an update.

First, the Bowflex works. However, I'm a pretty big guy and it got too light in a hurry.

You are right about lower body routines. Also, I felt like some muscles that I was working with free weights were not getting worked with the Bowflex.

So, I'm back to the gym. My in laws got an early Xmas gift if you know what I mean

I was given full ride opportunities to play for Div1 football teams as o line or d line...so i know what you mean by "kind of a big guy"

If all you want to do is pick up 60# barbells and 300+# bench and work on gaining muscles as well as mass...Then go to the gym.

If you want to trim off some fat and keep the muscle, then use the bowflex, slow reps (4-8 seconds per rep) and many reps will get you there faster than any gym. I don't think the bowflex was ever designed to replace 300 lb bench press. But it sure can burn some fat off a guy who normally does 300lb bench press at the gym.