• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

which lowrance?????

Ridgerunnr

Question

I currently have a lowrance 520 ( color unit not HD)w external gps by the driver on my lund ..its a small screen but works pretty well. I want to move THAT one to bow mount and buy a larger unit for the console and link them together, Any thoughts on which larger model to buy that will do that? im thinking 1000- 1500 in price range

9 answers to this question

I love my hds 7, its a nice size screen. I'm not sure if you can link them together though. I would check out profishingsupply.com, dave would be able to help you out and answer any questions you might have.

IMO, I couldn't reccomend anything but the large 10.5" screen models. (110,111,112,113 and the original 104). Should be able to find a nice used 3-5 year old unit in your price range on the bay or some other classified. I have both a 104 and a 112 and absolutly love them. No substitute for the big screen when navigating in rough conditions and is really nice when running with split screen 1/2 sonar 1/2 gps.

Dont go with anything less than HDS8. I have a 7 and an 8 and I LOVE the 8. The 8 has the soft keys at the bottom making it 1,000 times easier to use. Buy it and you'll never regret it. Check for rebates too, not sure if they still have rebates on the Gen2 units. Might be able to save a couple hundred $$$.

Another option would be the HDS 7 and keep both on your dash.

I'd love to have another 5" screen next to my HDS 8. The 5" would be GPS only freeing up valueable screen space for sonar, DI and SI on the HDS.

If money were no object, I'd have 2 10" screens on my dash. laugh

Another option would be the HDS 7 and keep both on your dash.

I'd love to have another 5" screen next to my HDS 8. The 5" would be GPS only freeing up valueable screen space for sonar, DI and SI on the HDS.

If money were no object, I'd have 2 10" screens on my dash. laugh

This was my thinking too. If he wants to spend $1500, buy a 7 (under $1000) and you might be able to find a 5 for close to $500 (without ducer) and network the two together. Use the 5 for sonar and the 7 for chart.

Are you planning on buying structure scan in the future (side scan, down scan, etc for $600)? If so the larger HDS units will be nice. You might be able to find a used Gen 1 HDS 8 or even 10 for the top end of that range.

If the answer is no for structure scan, I think the HDS 7 would be perfect. I have one and run split screen sonar/GPS and its plenty big enough for the console where you are 2-3 feet from the screen. If you wanted to see some of this detail while moving around the boat, a larger screen would be preferred. Play around with the 7, 8 and 10 at a store to get a good feel for what screen size you want.

Lowrance does not support the older HD units anymore so I would have a very hard time recommending them. If you have a problem, they would just give you a rebate on a newer HDS. They will be supporting the HDS series for at least the next 3-5 years.

Ive never used a unit with structure scan so really have no information to base the decision on in regards to that....the larger unit will go on the dash..the smaller on i have now will go to front basically for two things..depth for when im up frt musky fishing alone..and 2 for the wife to use in the frt when walleye fishing etc. I really have no need for two on the dash at the same time. so..sounds like a 7-8 model ..10 would be nice but thats a chunk for money..?? question.when two units are networked..when you "save" a spot say on a crib or something does it "save" on BOTH units? also does the gps track show up on both units?

I have a LCX 104 and HDS 7. I run one for GPS and the other sonar. I was told the 104 is analog and the HDS units are digital. Was going to sell 104 but was told to keep it beacuse they are very dependable. Have had the HDS for a year and works fine. Got a good deal with rebates.