• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Polarized Eyewear

Where is the best place to go in the metro area to find a good selection of polarized sunglasses? I thought about ordering via internet, but I want to be able to try them on to make sure they fit my face.

On the inexpensive side -- I always go to Fleet Farm and buy what I can get for $20. I have a friend that always buys them at Walmart for $5.

I assume you are looking for a nicer pair.

Kaenon's have great polarized lens optics, the owners are former competition sailing participants not to mention the frames are cool too. Costa Del Mars are also sweet, the plano lenses are generally glass. A touch heavier than most polarized glasses but they also resist scratches better than trivex or poly lenses. Becare full of Oakleys the cheaper prices in their line often times reflect just grey3 lenses and not polar. If you go Oakley be sure to spell out that you want polarized and be willing to pay for the "O" on the temple. My choice Kaenon then Costa.

Check out Campmor... REI.. they always have last years shades clearanced out.. I got a pair of Natives and Smiths.. both were around $150 the year before.. and stole'em for under $50 each

Got my Costas for free (after all my Cabela's points grin)

Itch gave some good places to get sunglasses for a great price. Just wait and watch, cause they go fast.

Sunglass hut has a great selection too of many of the most popular brands.

Check out gander and Joe's. They have a decent selection of Costa's. Not huge but they usually have the popular styles. I took my wife to both stores to try some pairs on before I bought her's online at the e bay. Her's were normally $150 and I got them for $110. I bought a pair of 580 glass costas which are normally $250 and I got them online for $190.

I always get mine from walmart. They’re cheap and work good enough for me. Besides, I lose mine every year and it would suck to lose expensive sunglasses.

If you've never worn a pair of Costas, Jim's, or similar you don't know what you're missing. I was in the $5-10 boat for a long time and once a buddy let me borrow his backups. I knew I was hooked. I skipped over Wileyx and other polycarbs and went straight to Costas with glass.

Dick's had a decent enough selection for me to try on some. I went with a pair of Bolle, but ordered them off the Internet too.

I was in the cheap pair camp for a long time, but once you get a decent pair I don't think you'll ever go back. You can wear them all day without pinching your nose or temples. They resolution is much better too.

I've found I'm a lot more careful with a pair I don't want to have to shell out some $$$ to replace.

Thorne Brothers in Blaine.

They know how to help you in the fit department which i never had a clue to until they talked me through it. They have the best selection of Costas I could find local.

If price is not an issue, check out Tanger Outlet Mall, go to Oakley, Columbia, sunglass hut.

Check out Natives they come with interchangeable lenses... super lightweight with scratchproof lenses and lifetime warranty believe gander has them... One of the only pairs that comfortably fit my fat head

I wear 2 different pair. I have a pair of Costas for when I am on the water. They stay in the case at the cabin and I wear them on the water only. I then have a pair of $40 from Cabelas that I wear everywhere else so I don't ruin my good pair. Before that I wore Ray-Ban, Smith optics, Bolle.

I would not wear a pair of cheap glasses on the water unless it was all I had. My eye doctor told me long ago to don't skimp on sunglasses when on the water.

[i would not wear a pair of cheap glasses on the water unless it was all I had. My eye doctor told me long ago to don't skimp on sunglasses when on the water.

If you've never worn a pair of Costas, Jim's, or similar you don't know what you're missing. I was in the $5-10 boat for a long time and once a buddy let me borrow his backups. I knew I was hooked. I skipped over Wileyx and other polycarbs and went straight to Costas with glass.

Agree 100%. I have Jim's now, and cannot even go back to cheapies for a morning of fishing. Huge difference, to me anyway. But the $10 Walmart/Cabelas pairs did serve me for years, I just didn't know what I was missing until I got the current pair. Luxury once tasted becomes a necessity cool

I too have Maui Jim's... Love the lens but can't stand the distortion when looking at the graphs. The top line Costa's I borrowed one time didn't do that... Why?

Anywho... I'm going to glass Costa's as soon as finances allow it.

My eye doctor checks my sun glasses when I see him. I think he checks for uv protection but I am not sure. The $20 pairs from Fleet Farm always pass his test.

I actually bought mine at Macy's. I had coupons so it was worth it. It is Ray Ban and I tell you, it makes a world of difference. I can see exactly where weedlines are and how deep, depending.

Costas are nice, but they are $$$ for their cheaper poly lens, and $$$$ for the good glass lens. I'd stay away from Oakleys as they are more hype than substance. Lots of better values out there. Suncloud are a good, cheaper pair of polarized that look good and fit well. The guy at the sunglass kiosk at the mall said for $50 they are about the best deal. I personally went with Natives, bought from REI. I like the lifetime warranty they offer and the included spare lenses and hard and soft case. It was a night and day difference in the darkening compared to the Sunclouds I was looking at. My wife bought some Sunclouds and she has been happy with them compared to her "fashion" glasses.

Had prescription suns until I had Lasik 12 years ago. Had Maui Jims when I did not need a prescription. Unfortunately I turned 50 and needed prescription sunglasses again. All I can say is both before and after the Lasik, my prescription suns were noticably better than the Maui Jims. Not sure why but they were/are. Only bummer is prescription suns make Mauis look cheap.