• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OK This isn't about fishing, but it is about one of the great things about being in the north woods. There was a solar storm Thursday which is supposed to produce great northern lights displays tonight and possibly through Tuesday night. I'll be watching the sky as long as I can stay awake tonight. Just wanted you to know.

RLG

Curious...

I'm not a local but have visited for 25yrs. I have seen many great night time skies but have never seen northern lights from Vermilion. How often can/do you see them up there?

I'm not an Iron Ranger either but am starting to spend summers here and have been here or in Quetico or the BWCA since 1967 and I've seen then 3 times including a great show last night. The only problem was no breeze and mosquitoes rule after dark. Local folks?

has to do with solar cycle. We are coming out of a very low activity period. Now sun is rocking.

Yes, solar storm Thursday is doing this. Supposed to be good through Tuesday night- but a little too overcast now. I'll be getting some sleep tonight.

RLG

My daughter took this on the shore. full-1100-22328-lights.jpg

They got good about 12:30 or so. At dark they looked like a glow, like high clouds over city lights, only after a short time I realized there aren't any city lights to the north/northeast from us. We joked it looked like a Walmart in Buyck.

Later it was the classic curtains and flashes and shimmering.

It was on the 15th, saturday night/early sunday morning. The night they were supposed to be visible. The next night was partly cloudy and there were none visible through the clear spots.

The sky was alive last night. Was it northern lights or lightening over the east end of the lake? I've see northern light dancing in the sky with variuos colors, but never have seen the constant flashing like last night.